Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2021, 12:15 AM   #2761
marktmeyer is offline marktmeyer  United States
diyAudio Member

Thinking of buying a set of 60w Quicksilver Mono amps for my 1+1s any thoughts ? Are they powerful enough?
Old 5th August 2021, 01:04 AM   #2762
mraudioguru is offline mraudioguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Depends on the size of the room your trying to fill and how loud you listen. IMHO, you need more power, but again, it might work well if you listen at low levels.
Old 5th August 2021, 01:34 AM   #2763
marktmeyer is offline marktmeyer  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 5th August 2021, 10:35 AM   #2764
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Most people would find 60 WPC insufficient for the Model 1+1. They are power-hungry speakers, and using 100-250 WPC is more common.

But, ultimately it depends on your room size, listening habits, etc.
Old 5th September 2021, 10:02 PM   #2765
jms42 is offline jms42
diyAudio Member

A BIG Thank you to AcoustatAnswerMan and to all the rest of you who have posted helpful replies in this thread. Last week I successfuly rebuilt the 5kv bias supply in our Acoustat Model 3s.
This rebuild solved a low-output problem with one speaker and both now sound much, much better. Neither my wife nor I wanted to replace these speakers, and now we don't need to do so. Maybe they will last another 40 years. . .
Old 5th September 2021, 10:05 PM   #2766
diyAudio Member

SWEET! Great to hear. If I ever need this service, I'll make sure to contact you...since you're an expert now.
Old 20th September 2021, 01:40 AM   #2767
vancegis is offline vancegis  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Medallion secondary open.

Andy or anyone,
I just had one of my 1+1's go down in the bass. I traced it to the 1 ohm resistor, R4, feeding the LF transformer. I replaced it and it didn't last 3 minutes and things got bad fast. For the first minute or more, the sound was completely as it should be, so I think the panels are fine.
As a note the day I bought them from Dave King, we had the same strange rattling sound like a loose diaphragm. but it went away, returned, went away again. It has been a few months without the death rattle, and now nothing.
So the secondary yellow to white is open, blue to white is about 1.5k ohms.
The two 50k's are fine.
So I believe a new Medallion is in order. I have the blue with the C mod.
Is there a source for this, a reputable company, or ?????
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:02 AM   #2768
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

It does sound like you may have an open secondary on the LF transformer, but it puzzles me that this would cause the 1-ohm resistor to get hot. Before doing anything else, I would ensure that your amplifier does not have any excessive DC offset in that channel.

As far as replacing the transformer, try contacting Roy Esposito, referenced in an earlier post.

BTW, the "rattling" sound you mentioned is caused by loose Mylar, or possibly foreign material in the gap. It's possible, if you've lost one phase of the LF output, that this could cause a lack of control over the diaphragm, which might increase the chance of rattling.

When you say "go down in the bass" do you mean that bass frequencies suddenly decreased in volume?

Last edited by AcoustatAnswerMan; 22nd September 2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add info
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:29 AM   #2769
vancegis is offline vancegis  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response. I was referring to going from clean sound to a rattle with significant decrease in volume to complete lack of bass within a 1 minute time span.
I am running that amp on a pair of 2+2 right now with no odd effects so it doesn't appear to be an amp fault. After the failure I opened it up and unsoldered the primaries and secondary and found the open secondary.
Background: R4 was replaced a few years ago with a thick film 100w resistor (T-03P package) and ran ok, except for the peculiar sound Dave and I heard. Three weeks ago I started up the system and no bass, I found the resistor failure and replaced it with a 140w thick film resistor. The result was the one minute sequence above and a hot resistor. My conclusion was a secondary fault hanging on for years that was finally pushed over the edge.
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:07 PM   #2770
diyAudio Member

Here are some parts:

Acoustat Medallion Transfomers 3/5 wire Panels an other ESL Parts For Sale - US Audio Mart

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!