Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 12:59 AM   #2181
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
NO.....But have ran the MK121 interfaces running a pr of M4s as bass only panels...below 100hz...with spectra 33.....ran full range.

But have ran the Spectra interfaces of the 3....with the 3wire 9"panels
one full panel the full range ….one full panel for mid...one full for bass.
An ran 3 panels off the Speactra interfaces all on the full range taps only.
Sounds Vary good...well to me...
Like I say I got lot miles on Acoustat speaker Setups.

I have to say, I don't like the sound of resistor segmented panels...spectra or others...
the bass sounds unESL…..to me!
But I have ran,an had a lot of ESLs an other speakers, most never get the chances I have had from being in the Audio Bizz in the 1980s-90...

Whan anyone ASK Me....what Audio, should I buy.....one-2-5 of every thing I say...only way you ever find your sound...

The Martin Logan Can sound great....CLS 1, Love -hate,but the Best of all CLSs....The CLS2,2z not for me...lose the magic....But I still have them an the Spectra
Thanks. The reason I ask is because I have found that the best imaging with the Model 3/Monitor 3 is when the innermost panels are the ones measured for placement. Hence my curiosity about using a spectra panel in that position. The center and outer panels are faced away while the inner ones are directly facing my listening position. To me it seems logical they are the ones that matter the most by far. The center and outer panels are for the most part, purely ambient. A single spectra inner panel on each side would serve their purpose while being enhanced by the 3 wire panels' added ambience/dynamics/spl, no?
Old 16th May 2019, 09:16 AM   #2182
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

For my ear.....The model 3,with the one 8" panels give the best top end sound of the older type....the 9" panels have a added sound the 8" dont...I well call it that....just that one inch make the diff... I have toyed with the idea of using...one spectra panel 9", only using 1/2... 3" ran full range ...but it will fit were the 8" panels gos in the M3....An the Model 4 don't work for my ear...I think its the Bass tap..it just dose not sound right. well to me.

I don't like the sound of any of the Model 2,3,4s with the Mk121interfaces big box...when bolted to the back of the speakers! tone killer.
With the feet off the panel box... thay well stand straight up...my floor has no carpet...all them standing straight up sounds best to my ears...

Same could be said about the CLS....but it tuff to set that up...I guess it the feedback &
Ringing of the boxes.

One things for sure...never worket for years with any other speaker...like the Acoustat….well it ever end.....I gess when I end....thay have give me..a lot of happiness......Have fun with Audio...if you can

All just one mans finding

Last edited by tyu; 16th May 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:59 PM   #2183
Daudio1 is offline Daudio1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Spectra panels for sale

I have a nice pair of 9" Spectra panels (from an 1100) for sale for $150 for the pair, plus shipping. If anyone is interested contact me offline.

Dave

PS. Also have all the interface and crossover parts from the 1100 with upgraded parts. Contact me if interested !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
With all that said, it's tough to find any replacement panel, and if all you can find is a Spectra panel, you at least have the comfort that it's among the newer panels available, and therefore might have more life left in it, and you will definitely get the improved conductive coating.

Finally, if you need to replace a panel in a Spectra speaker, you must use a Spectra panel. No way around that. But remember that all Spectra panels are the same, and can be used in any position within the speaker - it's all in how they are wired and driven.
Old 21st May 2019, 01:45 AM   #2184
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio1 View Post
I have a nice pair of 9" Spectra panels (from an 1100) for sale for $150 for the pair, plus shipping. If anyone is interested contact me offline.

Dave

PS. Also have all the interface and crossover parts from the 1100 with upgraded parts. Contact me if interested !
I'm after the older 3 wire 9" panel, only need 1 . Anybody out there can help?
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:21 PM   #2185
tekdredger is offline tekdredger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Source for pin jacks?

Andy, hopefully you can provide some assistance...

I am looking for information regarding vendors/suppliers for the pin (tip) jacks and plugs used on the High Voltage boards and wire bundle terminations in the Spectra models. I'm trying to track down the original parts if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:17 AM   #2186
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

See post #3 and #4 here:
Acoustat panel connections

Pins and jacks currently available from Newark:
Abbatron-hh-smith 108 Pin
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SlWB6KHlJibzhE

Abbatron-hh-smith 325 jack
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._6OybfX2vDXBWI

Last edited by bolserst; 24th May 2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 24th May 2019, 08:25 PM   #2187
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Spectra 8800

Finished these a couple of months ago. I thought they might be bass heavy but find they seem to work fine in my room, maybe because of the bass traps in all four corners. I just need to fix a rattling panel, soon to be taken care of, Thanks Dave!
Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0250.jpg (282.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086[1].jpg (331.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0092[1].jpg (753.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0184[1].jpg (291.4 KB, 113 views)
Old 24th May 2019, 09:44 PM   #2188
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Finished these a couple of months ago. I thought they might be bass heavy but find they seem to work fine in my room, maybe because of the bass traps in all four corners. I just need to fix a rattling panel, soon to be taken care of, Thanks Dave!
Andrew

Wow, that's a lot of Spectra! Nice job! I'm curious if you changed any of the sector resistor values, to compensate for the increased panel area being driven on those segments. I'm presuming the extra column of panels is bass-only, so really only the bass-sector resistor values might change. But if you're happy with the result, leave well-enough alone!
Old 25th May 2019, 12:44 AM   #2189
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy
I didn't change any of the equalization resistors, though I was prepared to do so if required. I thought I would listen to it for a while and so far I've had number of people over and we all seem to agree that the bass is OK as is. I tried to use it with a couple of Contrabass subwoofers but it is better without. Sure can move a lot of air
Thanks
Andrew
Old 25th May 2019, 12:32 PM   #2190
Mendel24 is offline Mendel24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Andrew
Wow Andrew!
Spectra 8s, I’m surprised they don’t overpower your room.
What materials did you use for the frames and how difficult were they to construct? I would like to build new frames for the Spectra 22 I got from you years ago. One of my best audio purchases ever!
David

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!