Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2018, 02:01 PM   #2081
Audio Adrenaline is offline Audio Adrenaline  Australia
diyAudio Member

thats great-they didn't even sell acoustat in Australia as far as im aware I've only ever seen two of their products here and I bought them both (spectra 11s) my mom was lucky she got the ones with the badge:-(
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:53 AM   #2082
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Adrenaline View Post
I bought a second pair of acoustat spectra 11s for my mother recently and they were in nicer condition than the ones I own but I notice the drivers are not the same did they all use the same ones in the run of this model or has someone changed one out on me -I have no idea all I know is the immaculate ones have a different bass driver has a satin shiny finish and the other ones have ones with a larger dust cap- any guesses i have photos but i dont know how to compress the file to post it

I don't recall any changes to the Spectra 11 woofer during its production run. If there were any changes, they were not intentional design changes, but rather minor cosmetic changes due to vendor supply changes.

More than likely someone changed the woofers in one of your pairs. The woofer is the weak point of the Spectra 11, so changing the woofer to a better one has been done by a few owners. And no, I don't have any recommendations for a better woofer: the people who have done this don't seem to be sharing the information, or they didn't know what they were doing and only made it worse. (A better woofer in the wrong application is not better!)
Old 5th November 2018, 05:11 AM   #2083
Scout79 is offline Scout79
diyAudio Member

Hi there Iím new to all this so please be patient
I have recently become the owner of a pair of Acoustat hybrid sold have connected them up
With great anticipation and I get bass and midrange with very distant top end as is evident something is wrong power supply plugs in rear between binding posts and is 12volts ac
I unscrewed the top of the sub enclosure to reveal the circuit board all seems ok will probably need to replace the two transformers caps and resistors etc also I can not identify a model and Iíve been looking please find attached photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53933AE7-E31D-4CE3-9776-A44DE20E2219.jpg (964.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 320ABF20-EB17-4532-84A5-163035EDCF52.jpg (995.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 5th November 2018, 11:37 PM   #2084
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout79 View Post
Hi there Iím new to all this so please be patient
I have recently become the owner of a pair of Acoustat hybrid sold have connected them up
With great anticipation and I get bass and midrange with very distant top end as is evident something is wrong power supply plugs in rear between binding posts and is 12volts ac
I unscrewed the top of the sub enclosure to reveal the circuit board all seems ok will probably need to replace the two transformers caps and resistors etc also I can not identify a model and Iíve been looking please find attached photos

This is interesting. What I see inside is the components for a Spectra 1100, but I am unfamiliar with the external appearance. This was not made by Acoustat in the USA - I am wondering if this is one of the models briefly produced in Italy? Or perhaps a home-brew modification?

Attached is a schematic and board layout for the Spectra 1100. I don't see the connections to the Hi-Frequency contour switch, and if it is absent, you will get the least amount of highs, although the difference between high, low, and medium positions of the switch is not huge. I would start your investigations there. If there is no switch, you can replace the switch with a piece of wire, which will give you maximum HF output.

Let me know what you find out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spectra 1100 schematic & board layout.pdf (425.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 6th November 2018, 05:44 AM   #2085
diyAudio Member

many thanks
so im not going mad
thanks for your help will let you know how i go
again
thank you
Old 7th November 2018, 07:41 PM   #2086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout79 View Post
many thanks
so im not going mad
thanks for your help will let you know how i go
again
thank you

You should also be aware that the Spectra 1100 (and presumably your variation, too) are left and right, mirror-image pairs. They should be oriented left and right so that the highs are coming from the outer edge of each panel. Having them backwards will do weird things to the imaging and may also affect the perceived HF balance.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #2087
diyAudio Member

thanks
yes i have them oriented correctly
ill keep playing around
ill get to the bottom of this
thanks for your help
Old 12th November 2018, 05:47 AM   #2088
Audio Adrenaline is offline Audio Adrenaline  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi again Andy and everyone :-) was wondering does anyone have a recomended site to go to for acoustat parts -im looking for original Spectra 11 drivers
Old 12th November 2018, 10:42 PM   #2089
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Adrenaline View Post
Hi again Andy and everyone :-) was wondering does anyone have a recomended site to go to for acoustat parts -im looking for original Spectra 11 drivers

Sorry, there is no one-stop place to go for Acoustat parts. Acoustat ceased production in the USA in 1990, and any parts available at that time were sold to purveyors specializing in surplus goods. You'll still find a few parts available on eBay, but for the most part, those parts have been sold or scrapped after 28 years.

I am quite sure woofers for the Spectra 11 were never available on the surplus market. Those woofers were custom-made at Rockford's Carbonneau division, and would not be available from them today. In any case, the Spectra 11's woofers were its weak point, so you might be better served in fitting a different woofer. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on that subject. I know some people have substituted other woofers, but I've never heard any details of what they used or how well it worked for them.
Old 13th November 2018, 09:32 PM   #2090
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

This may seem an odd question, but did you have any experience with Dayton-Wright ESLs? I'd be curious to learn how you and your colleagues viewed their performance, reliability, construction quality, or etc.

I seem to recall some KLH-9 speakers around Bell Labs in the late 60's. Unfortunately but for good practical reasons, the "bookshelf" two-way dynamic KLH-6 was the defacto standard around the lab for folks learning how to simulate voices and instruments.

Thanks.
Ben

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!