Martin logan CLX mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
There are no " instructions" for disassembling them, just experience. I doubt it is the connections you are concerned about, but your welcome to try. The CLX has the most complex interface I've worked on so far and I've rebuilt ML Stage and Request, Quad 63, Accoustat, Dayton Wright, and others..

It is more likely the power supply board for the LF section that needs repair/replacement. You must change all the electrolytics in the 5 boards or keep having failures every time one of the water damaged electrolytics fail. Martin Logan did not use the best electrolytics, I changed mine to 8,000 hr 105 C Panasonics rather than the cheap 85 C Jamicon's that Martin Logan used . probably $40 worth of parts...

Thanks for the response ---- I've checked the panel by running wire from the other other speaker x-over board - and the panel is fine -- so I'm sure it's a board related problem -- are your services available for hire ? I'm obviously not worried about voiding my warranty -- but I really want to get these back up and running. PM me if you are willing and interested (I can see that you're able ! )

Bart

Joined 2005
Paid Member
With a little bit of remote detective work and mearements and disassembly by Bart we found low and no output on both speakers EI core bass transformers. The flood water had corroded both of them. New bass transformers fixed the problem and Bart seems a happy camper - too busy playing his speakers to be here :)

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
i replaced the no name white box 1000pf and 3300 pf film caps on the voltage doubler board with Wima FKP 2kv.

I have Dueland resistors to replace the power film resistors in the crossover next time I get them open. I'll take a few pics and when my friend mods his I'll trace the crossover ( he has to mod his- he bought a fortune in V caps for his crossover updates).

i changed subs, got 2 JL 212 to replace the F113. the F113 had more than enough ouput to match the CLX, but I was surprised that the F212 blended better, and are more dynamic sounding.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
i replaced the no name white box 1000pf and 3300 pf film caps on the voltage doubler board with Wima FKP 2kv.

I have Dueland resistors to replace the power film resistors in the crossover next time I get them open. I'll take a few pics and when my friend mods his I'll trace the crossover ( he has to mod his- he bought a fortune in V caps for his crossover updates)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here's an unexpected find. In it's more expensive speakers Martin Logan uses film capacitors in it's HV voltage doubler bias supply circuits. In it's cheaper speakers ML uses HV ceramic capacitors in the HV voltage doubler circuits. All of the other electrostatics I've owned Dayton Wright, Acoustat, and Quad all used ceramic caps in their HV doubler bias supply circuits. It takes more voltage steps using more caps and diodes to use the lower voltage film caps and costs more. Given the cheaper grade parts like Jamicon's 85 C electrolytics that ML use in the internal electronics why do they go to the expense of a greater number of HV steps with film caps instead of few steps using higher voltage ceramic caps like everyone else, even ML themselves in their cheaper range? Is this one of the ways ML achieve better sound in their more expensive range besides using larger, better step up audio transformers and higher quality crossover caps (although even better caps help)?

So I replaced the unidentified 1000pf and 3300 PF 2 KV white film caps (metalized Mylar?) in the CLX bias supply with Wima 2 kv MKP film and foil polypropylene - when I first turned them on they were coarse and grainy for the first 15 to 30 minutes and now after 4 or 5 listening sessions with a variety of low and hi definition source material I find them to be even more resolving, detailed, and smoother sounding - just the same effect as upgrading coupling or crossover caps, but this time it's the HV caps. It's not expensive to use the Wimas and I look forward to see if anyone else tries this on CLS, Requests, or any of the other ML speakers using film or ceramic HV bias supply step up caps and reports on their results or questions my hearing or sanity .

Tic..........
Here's an unexpected find. In it's more expensive speakers Martin Logan uses film capacitors in it's HV voltage doubler bias supply circuits.
I find them to be even more resolving, detailed, and smoother sounding - just the same effect as upgrading coupling or crossover caps, but this time it's the HV caps

Yes i to have found this to make better sound in Any ESL........
an even if i drop the bias V lower i still hear Smoother sound.
As for my Brain.....hehe... it dose help with all my hearing... an lets me tell other what i hear.....an is helping me type this now...But it cant make me hear cheaper grade parts Sound better than high gread parts

Last edited:
Tic..........
Here's an unexpected find. In it's more expensive speakers Martin Logan uses film capacitors in it's HV voltage doubler bias supply circuits.
I find them to be even more resolving, detailed, and smoother sounding - just the same effect as upgrading coupling or crossover caps, but this time it's the HV caps

Yes i to have found this to make better sound in Any ESL........
an even if i drop the bias V lower i still hear Smoother sound.
As for my Brain.....hehe... it dose help with all my hearing... an lets me tell other what i hear.....an is helping me type this now...But it cant make me hear cheaper grade parts Sound better than high gread parts

AWESOME . I will post the Electromotions internals tonight so hopefully you can guide me on what parts to upgrade , I found that the Magnepan 1.6QR smoke my ESL's in my living room BUT! my ELS smoke my Magnepans on my Bedroom so upgraded ESLs should win all around.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Schematic courtesy of a friend updating his CLXs

No inductance values yet - will try to get the inductance and series resistance of the coils - all air core -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
thank for all your input on the ML CLX crossover.....
I had never seen a zobel type setup used like the one on the 22mf input cap on the high frec.....till thay started using them in there crossovers.....I find that these type of zobels used on any res in the input of a crossover well give a sweeter sound than just the res by it self.........most of the time it is a smaller 1mf-5mf......but here 22mf..........ML big into tone shaping....like the use of diff type of diodes an caps in the bias..it works.... all together to give a better sounds ....

Curiously I was watching a dr F Toole Lecture (posted somewhere above) on speakers, fr and listening.
He mentioned the wide variance in speaker sound quality as determined by his Famous measurement analysis/techniques.
Saying for example that one 1800$ Speaker was Far better than a 20,000$ set he measured.. Massively so.
Claimed the lesser cost one was pretty well as good as it reasonably got.
He also mentioned a Hi tech 'seeming' Panel type ..curved top with a cone driver bass unit base design,
as being one of 'the' worst performing speaker systems he had yet tested.
FR and DB being ragged and 'wild'...horrid measurements and unpleasant to listen to, at best.
He stated that Panels are claimed as massless and instant responding
ALL completely false, he claims as they are slower than Cones in any of his measurements.
Contrary opinions for sure.
But.. he was Dr toole and his experience judgments are unassailable.
Food fer thought Kids

Last edited:
There are 4 Solen caps in the crossover board.

The crossover caps are 2 x 22uf, 1 x 33 uf, 1 x 1.5 uf

22uf - replaced with a parrallel sandwich of 2 x 9 uf 100V MIT PPFXS
The 2 x 9 uf and 0.01 uf caps fit where the Solens did
Note - The 9uf MIT PPFXS cap is the largest cap with the same width of the Solen caps which is why it was chosen - becuase it fits, takes the least space, and sounds good.

Schematic courtesy of a friend updating his CLXs

Thinking about changing C1, the series capacitor for HP.
What is the size that actually fits?
Considering Jantzen which is 52*70mm 22uF 800V and Mundorf 51*106mm 22uF 800V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.