Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Martin logan CLX mods
Martin logan CLX mods
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

So you say

Yes both the positive and negative audio signal for each of the bass and midrange / treble leads each goes through a heatsinked IRF 640 - there's a 0.33 film cap bypassing the fet.

This is the limiter....one for the bass one for mid-hi....the cap is new...but would work fine...an yes the limiter dose have a sound of it own...an now has the sound of a cap.
Be sure to get the best sounding 0.33 cap to you ,each diff cap well sound diff here.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Paul S is offline Paul S  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I hope you matched the coil resistances as well as the inductance when you replaced the inductors as replacing them with the lowest resistance coils without matching the original resistance will affect the crossover negatively.
Hi & thanks for the reply.. Yes, i did consider matching the dcr as well as i could, the original ww coils were 18 & 20awg, i used 16, and notice no negative balance issues at all, they have pushed the Spire very high, an apt name now!

Re the SUT, i will most likely leave where i currently have it, and can re visit this in the future if i feel the need.

Enjoy your CLX, Some pics would be great to see what you have accomplished.

Happy New Year too!

Regards,
Paul.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:19 PM   #13
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

Martin logan CLX mods
A friend also now has a pair of CLX's that we will upgrade as well. We will photo the disassembly, the original factory built boards, and the changes to each board and parts list.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to before/after pics of your upgrade. Thanks!
Old 17th October 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes cant wate....thanks for any info
Old 19th October 2012, 03:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Martin logan CLX mods
I'll also document the crossover design. The bass panel crossover is 6 dB/oct with a choke with switch selectable series resistors to lower the bass panel output. The mid/high panel crossover is multipole ( maybe 18 or 24 db /oct ) with a notch filter in the top end - a 1.5 uf in series with a choke both in parrallel with the output to the HF torroidal step up transformer
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:59 AM   #17
TheMooN is offline TheMooN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good morning Folks .

I hope that ticknpop will not mind my resurrecting his CLX modification thread , however I am curious as to how the last re-build progressed and whether there have been any further , recent developments on this subject .

TVM.
Old 21st December 2013, 11:37 PM   #18
bartgilchrist is offline bartgilchrist  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hoping someone can help me out ---- I had a flood in June and it submerged my ML CLX speakers in 3 ft of water -- the panels & cabinets seemed fine and I had all the boards cleaned up etc.. and after putting everything back together -- the bass panel is not getting any sound on both speakers -- curved panel is fine & all the wiring seems fine. Can someone point me to the instructions for removing the panels so I can check the connection from the cross over board to the panel to see if the connection might be the issue -- I don't see an easy way to remove the panels

thanks

Bart
Old 25th December 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Martin logan CLX mods
Yes I'm still around, my friend bought his V caps and Dueland resistors , but hasn't opened his CLX yet. I changed subs to JL F 212.

Bartgilchrist - I spoke to you before , we are in the same town, yes I know how to disassemble them, it is unlikely to be just your connections , without seeing them I believe they could be saved, but you'll need clean and/or to rebuild the 5 PC boards.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Martin logan CLX mods
It is more likely the power supply board for the LF section that needs repair/replacement. You must change all the electrolytics in the 5 boards or keep having failures every time one of the water damaged electrolytics fail. Martin Logan did not use the best electrolytics, I changed mine to 8,000 hr 105 C Panasonics rather than the cheap 85 C Jamicon's that Martin Logan used . probably $40 worth of parts...

Martin logan CLX modsHide this!Advertise here!