esl 63 repairs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come to own a damaged pair of quads esl 63s. I have repaired the the electronics ( just some broken ceramic resisters) and I have 5 of the eight panels working but the other 3 need new diaprams.

I have got some 6micron mylar from tac and I have tried ink-pva and deironised water with not much success. the coating works interms of M ohms-2 but it dosnt like to be masked out.

I am going to try to order some licron crystal spray as I think that will be better. If people can help me with some other things that would be great!

I have tried epoxey glue but it didnt like the mylar- what do people use?

also some of the stators are loose from the egg crate - super glue works but is too thin and makes a mess- even thick epoxy runs too much.

Tension- im going to have a play with different methods - dos anyone use a tension gauge? ive been looking on ebay - but not sure what to get?

Attachments

• randomesl63.jpg
    randomesl63.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 487
Regarding coating, I have been using Elvamide diluted in ethanol.
Provided you invest in some second-hand stirring hot plates, this works great.
Ethanol (pure at 90%) was bought in a drugstore.
You need as well a good resolution scale like those from proScale.
You will need to clean the mylar with acetone prior applying Elvamide.
Then you can use a hair-dryer to finalize (not too hot !), unless you do "annealing" on mylar.

I've brought a pair of esl63 back to life thanks to material and help from Rob Mackinlay at ER Audio.

Electrostatic Loudspeakers By ER Audio

Second this suggestion.
Even if you source the mylar and coating on your own, you still need a way to tension the mylar film to the correct tension.
You can try using poly based glue like gorilla glue or similar to attach the stator to the matrix.
Make sure you clean them well and insulate any exposed copper areas on the stator.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.