Audionec planar bass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

A company called "Audionec" presented a very strange speaker at the Highend show in Munich this year.
Audionec, Hifiakademie, Audio Consequence - High End 2010 Bericht - fairaudio
The mid/high driver seems to be a Rubanoide, but what works in the bass? It is a four way system altogether, so can this be a coaxial bass? And how does it work? The company only tells it is a dipole. Does anybody know something similar?
A contrabassist said in a german forum in this room he heard the best contrabass at the show, so it seems to be more than just a strange gimmick.

Indeed it was the best sounding speaker at the show, I was however, slightly disappointed to see that rubanoide needs a supertweeter for the highest frequencies.
People were staring at magicos, focals, gryphons, tads, yg acoustics and the likes, but none of them could offer anything close to what they claimed, AudioNec simply beat them all, IMHO.
It says it is a 3way loudspeaker, here:

<Audionec Music Server> - Answer Speaker

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, that seems really interesting :)

On the homepage it reads "To complete this exceptional design we need a bass section that works also as an open bafle ans as dipole.
This has been done also in an unusual way with a 75 cm square flat bass panel. The bass section of the "Answer" uses 4 of those exceptional panels in an open design that works from 15 Hz to 200 Hz. At the end the result is really exceptionnal of speed, natural and dynamic."

So it actually uses 4 bass speakers in open bafle!!!!
Would be nice with ore info on this design .... and some more pictures ;)

Indeed it was the best sounding speaker at the show, I was however, slightly disappointed to see that rubanoide needs a supertweeter for the highest frequencies.
People were staring at magicos, focals, gryphons, tads, yg acoustics and the likes, but none of them could offer anything close to what they claimed, AudioNec simply beat them all, IMHO.

It seems that that's the opinion of a lot of people...

chees

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What I read was four power amps, two bass drivers. Where is the second one?

what you see may really be two "concentric" diaphragms :rolleyes:

A while ago I posted a similar DIY idea

Attachments

• OB RUBANOIDE setup.JPG
    OB RUBANOIDE setup.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 554
  • BIG WOOFER.JPG
    BIG WOOFER.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Think the InfraPlanar is a "real" planar construction (megnetostatic).

A long time ago, Dali, made a smaler brother to the Skyline. As far as I remember it had a dipole ribbon down on side and a 6.5" in a closed flat box, same hight as the ribbon (probably some 90 cm in hight).
The special about it was that a film membrane was stretched over the intire front of the bas cabinet (some 25 x 80 cm). The bass driver was then coupled to the membrane by the closed air between driver and membrane. This way they tried to get a more line source like radiation ..... if it worked? .... I have no idea .... but on the face of it I think it seems a bit far fetched ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.