Anyone making Apogee bass panels?

Well, the subject pretty much says it all. Is there anyone here making, or capable of making, Apogee bass panels?

I have a pair of Caliper Signatures that will need replacement panels eventually and would prefer a more cost effective route than currently available. Please do not refer to the fellow in Australia, as that is not a cost effective route - he requires installation by his installers and does not supply only the panels.

Alternatively, would anyone know of a source for kapton/aluminum sheets? Time, and perhaps skills, would probably prohibit me from fabbing these from scratch but I may tackle the rest of the job (cutting and crimping) if compatible sheets can be had.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Art

ANOTHER OPTION

1) Sell the Calipers while they still work well
2) DIY build a wide range ribbon, or a midrange and tweeter ribbon. NdFeB magnets and a few hours with FEMM simulations will give higher efficiency and superior sound than your Calipers.
3) Use a line array array of 10" to 15" woofers for bass.

Well, without starting an uproar, I prefer the "Apogee sound" - even from the bass panel. My box days are over, except perhaps for a sub. I plan on improving on that sound by bi-amping with an active x-over.

I don't want to reengineer the speaker, just replace the bass panel in a more cost effective way than what's readily available. I know I can DIY an improved midrange/tweeter - but that's a lower cost item anyways so not as worrisome.

I'm not concerned about efficiency - I have plenty of power to drive these plus they're not a difficult load by any means. I now have Henry's H20 S250 but have also used a CJ 11A with great results.

Yes, I'm aware of Dahlberg. He makes MRT ribbons. One of the Apogee User Group members purchased a pair and is waiting to install them.

That member also told me Dahlberg is working on bass panels but it's a long ways off.

At this point, if I can track down the material I can always pull out my panel and copy it. That, of course, destroys my panel (it's siliconed down!) but it's worth it to reproduce perhaps a better one.

If anyone's up to the task I may be willing to start ripping it out! :)

Yes, I can find rollers that large with gears and assemble a corrugator. Whether I can find the same profile Apogee used I don't know - I don't consider that essential. If I need to cut my own I have access to a machine shop.

Alternatively, one Apogee user has told me he may be building his own panels - flat panels. I'm waiting to hear the reasoning behind that.

If resonance control was the issue with corrugations, I have also thought about gluing a butyl (or similar) surround to the panel - along the vertical sides which are clamped. The Apogee solution is to silicone the panel onto the frame and use foam, below and above the panel on the inner side of the vertical frame pieces.

Yes, there are alternatives

Hi Art,

please google "DIS-Elektrostaten" a german company. They sell replacement foils.

If your foils are OK and only the foam between the wooden frame and the foil is rotten (buzzing sound); there's a way to repair, without tearing apart the whole thing (been there, done that).

Regards
Olaf

P.S. are you ARTM1 from the original Apogee Forum? If yes, to answer your question: They are doing fine up to now.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread indeed.

My duetta's are in very sad shape as well.

Is there a way to retension the bass panel instead of replacing it as there is nothing actualy wrong with diagphram it self except for a few cracks in foil which can fixed with some conductive silver paint.

I have done this before (10 years ago)when one the loops became open from someone (not me) had abused It by playing some hip hop stuff, in which they weren't designed for in the first place, kids. jer

Anywho, I know I can fix them they are not destroyed or any thing.
Their just old.

Attachments

• APOGEE.jpg
    APOGEE.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 816