Anyone making Apogee bass panels?

So any of you guys making progress on panels so far ?

Just happened to pick up some 1 ohm Scintillas locally

Was able to retension and realign all tweeters and mids to factory specs. They were all slightly stretched although when vertical appeared ok.
Made an adjustable arm with a roller and fishing line taped to each ribbon and a specific gram weight for both types

And the bass panels were installed I believe in 2007 thereabouts at True Sound works with new bass panels.
It might be possible to save these for now as they had some shipping ripples and a slight break that might not affect performance but in the end will probably make new panels for these also
Thinking about a CNC waterjet cutting template this time around...

One thing I noticed is an asymmetrical crease to these bass panels , the outward bow is wider than the downward crease suggesting maybe the outside roller might be pressing on a soft rubber surface roller or maybe not even a roller at all, not sure.

So how goes it ?

Regards
David

That ad described them as below for $1200. If you paid close to that, I don't think the frames are good.

"Got several great years out of them, then they ended up in storage due to baby. Movers didn't handle them right and caused the woofer panels to get warps / dings. This caused a rattling sound.

Sent them to True Sound works for new woofer panels to be installed. Wouldn't do it w/out a full new frame being built as the diagnosis is that the original particle board was rotting away.

A fun project speaker that I'm willing to let go for cheap. You could have some DIY fun with them, or send them to true sound works for a full re-do."

No , again , there is no rotting of the 1” internal chassis mdf on either speaker.

Were these built with the fine grain MDF we see today? No , this is the courser grain structure
Fiber board with a rough edge structure. No swelling or cracks anywhere
Just a cheaper grade but no issues

The Diva chassis frame (3/4”) has the dense fine grain MDF we see today and would have been the better choice on the Scintilla ,yes

Last edited:
ABFD9D25-5C24-4C48-90CF-7E5E8DBF8DD7.jpg

8510E8D2-1BAB-43F2-9738-F91B5E7308A8.jpg

Panel peeled off rather easy with no broken traces and the foam was in good shape with no signs of fatigue.

Panel is .0025”

Joined 2005
Paid Member
All this talk of Scintillas...I have a pair needing work and a set of replacement bass panels from Patrick that I have yet to open... the more I listen to my recently refurbed Quads the less I look forward to that Scintilla project....anyone want to buy the 1 ohm panels from me? They were around $1300 when purchased a few years back....

I was looking into purchasing a pair of Scintillas for a rebuild and contacted Florian Wiegand for ribbons/panels. Looking at his offerings versus Patrick's, and the history behind Patrick, I am convinced Flo's product is superior.

He works together with Clarisys Audio and acts as a distributor. He also supplies copper returns as an upgrade of aluminium, which can also be soldered much more easily. Products ship very well packaged from Vietnam (because of Covid-19) and he has bought over 20 sets of ribbons so far and never had any problems.

Here's his latest price list:

--- Retail Price US$ per pair
Apogee Stage / Centaur Minor / Centaur / Slant 6 276.5
Apogee Centaur Major / Slant 8 304.5
Apogee Studio Grand / Studio Ribbon Array 332.5
Apogee Caliper 252
Apogee Duetta / Duetta 2 / Duetta Signature 238
Apogee Duetta/Caliper all versions** (XLM2?) 364
Apogee Diva Midrange 248.5
Apogee Diva foil Tweeters 119
(super light weight. crossover mod req) 157.5
Apogee Scintilla foil midrange & tweeters 350
Apogee Full Range foil midrange & tweeters 416.5
Apogee Grand Tweeter (approximated price) 164.5
Apogee Grand Midrange (approximated price) 210

----- Bass sold per piece
Apogee Caliper 416.5
Apogee Caliper Signature 416.5
Apogee Duetta or Duetta 2 early 444.5
Apogee Duetta Signature or later Duetta 2 444.5
Apogee Duetta Reference (German model) 444.5
Apogee Diva 619.5
Apogee Scintilla 1 & 4 ohm 472.5
Apogee Scintilla 1 ohm 472.5
Apogee Full Range 693
Apogee Grand 1046.5

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Wow, looks like I paid quite a bit more than that price (pair)...I still have to get the Scintilla Foil mid and tweeters, the ones that I have are functional, but look horrible...

Maybe the currency exchange rate was NOT in my favor when I bought them...donno

If you can ship them to Finland but maybe it would be too expensive. If you were inside EU, then it would be a different story...

You can probably get them direct from Patrick for much cheaper than what I paid for mine...

Last edited:
CCF8DED0-4728-4D40-A9CA-D503B4D67A61.jpg

BB81A445-BAF2-44C4-A3BB-9FC8AEA42871.jpg

John , you can retension all the ribbons with a simple roller setup and a gram scale if they are in decent shape.

Each tweeter to not exceed 40 grams and the 1.950” mid no more than 60 grams

Factory used 5mm sag
You can see before and after results

Never expose these ribbons to a windy environment such as near an outside door or window drafts

Regards
David