Anyone making Apogee bass panels?

David, There used to be Diva installation video on youtube, I think it was done in 4 parts, not sure if it is still there, BUT I believe I downloaded it and have it somewhere.

RedAlert, I have done as you said, the math didn't work, at least not for me, Apogee didn't corrugate the way were doing it, they used a narrow roller going across the ribbon, which I believe displace and stretch under pressure kept the ribbon at length, I seen a video of this as well many years ago from a factory tour, it still may be on audigon, unless it was removed. Al

Thats the first time I seen their rollers and their close to an 1 1/4” in diameter thereabouts

That fine pitch makes sure all surfaces are contacted and pressed for consistency.

This work hardens the foil I believe just enough for long term durability

I wouldn’t be surprised if they also had alignment issues as they went and from the ( flat feed side only ! ) a slight pull keeps it straight and parallel as you go.

Hard to beat their roller system

Regards
David

Last edited:
At 9.5” in length and 2 bolted with an all-thread rod down the center of each plus a machined insert to capture each end, it would be hard to eliminate a joint line that would transfer to the foil.
Since there would be 2 joints to contend with and a double chance of this, one would have to live with the outcome. Another issue would be runout tolerances with 2 joints and 4 rollers

These rollers might work well for mid/twt ribbons though. Without a better close up of the ribs it appears the peaks are too rounded off and when placed together it looks like the foil might not reach the depth to make a clearly defined profile transfer.

Worth a shot though

This is how it looks

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_173607.jpg
    IMG_20200217_173607.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 325
I Have a Duetta Foil rolled flat as best I can prob another 10mm

Very good, thanks :). Could you please measure the distance between the first upper and bottom cuts of the flattened foil? When the distance between the first upper and bottom magnet rows is know, one should be able to estimate the effect of corrugation. How many cuts there are on Duetta-foil? When you know that, you could calculate the average distance between cuts and if the magnet rows are in the right places, cuts should be in the middle of every row.

Last edited:
So the foil strips are 12.7mm (1/2") wide, that's 'think of a number and double it'.... please don't let anyone tell you their is some kind of scientific calc for this? It's like when they tell you about speaker cabinate size ...BS! it's just how many they can get out a 8' x 4' sheet of MDF without wastage! I like the marker pen bit about finishing the speaker at 8:30 in the morning?? they where 'aving a larf' as we say the UK. No, I doubt very much any 3 sets of Apogee Duetta ever sounded the same! The construction of a great speaker design is very 'CRUMMY' lets be honest? it has to be said? I would hate to hear the pair made on a Friday (16:00) afternoon after a liquid lunch? Sorry for the rant! (oops)

If you need any more measurements let me know.

Tricky

Attachments

• DuettaBottomMagnets.jpg
    DuettaBottomMagnets.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 292
  • DuettaTopMagnets.jpg
    DuettaTopMagnets.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Might be month and day and those outside dimensions are not important. They are part of the voice coil circuit and they can be in excess.

Unless you are using Apogees exact rollers , all the stock dimensions wont get you aligned over the magnet rows for optimum performance. BTDT.
I think Al ( deltastar) found this out like me also

What is important is your corrugator and its stretched vertical state and how it relates to the magnet rows and how you transfer those cut dimensions before corrugation.

Regards
David

Ok, thanks. All opinions are most welcome. I must start purchasing a glass table (about 200cm * 50cm) and other stuff needed. I will take several weeks until I'll be at the point making some efforts. Where did you purchase the aluminium and what thickness? Kapton I have, but glue is needed. Have to study this matter hard...