Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?
Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2020, 09:56 PM   #281
parker65310 is offline parker65310  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Graz, Music Technology and Ultimate Sound Works

All,

You should be buying the latest ribbons designed and manufactured by Graz in Australia. He bought all rights and designs from Apogee and spent a lot of money on cnc equipment and improvements since he started manufacturing everything you need since early 2000. Iím buying all new ribbons, socks, foam kit and ribbon wiring/clamp kit from him tomorrow. Heíll only send the bass panel to an authorized installer he trained. Too easy to screw up. Iím totally redoing my Duetta Signature Series IIs, including a new automotive grade paint job very soon. Note, Grazí website needs updating, but Graeme is very responsive. So are Rich at True Sound Works and Bill Thalmann at Music Technology. They are top notch. Links below.

Repairs / Apogeeribbons

Vintage Stereo & Turntable Repair | Music Technology Inc.

TRUE SOUND WORKS AUDIO, INC. - HOME
Old 30th December 2020, 12:55 AM   #282
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Graz didn't buy the designs he bought the name only. He now only sells bass diaphragms only to his authorized rebuilders. He clearly made the choice to aim for the high end of the market. There are other suppliers of
diaphragms and ribbons for Apogee speakers in Vietnam and Germany but you are on your own to install. I guess it depends how handy you are or how much money you want to throw at it.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:08 PM   #283
Kornbread is offline Kornbread
diyAudio Member

Wow, way interested as I have a pair of Cal Sigs sitting in the corner of the shed because one has a damaged bass panel. Should see the sparks fly when the bass lines hit. Jeez, couldn't jump out of the chair and reach the amp off button quick enough.

@avwerk, starting post #224 you were able to successfully remove some panels that had been professionally replaced but had lost tension. Was this from one of Graz's authorized rebuilders? I really love the Apogee sound but at the prices they desire for replacing and shipping, it's a no go for me. Yep, you can chastise me for being a poor slob who owns an expensive to maintain pair of speakers; it is what it is.

I also have to consider how much time/$ you have invested in manufacturing your panels. With the prices posted in #233 I have to wonder if it's more viable to simply order those?

@lowmass, I hope you have continued your endeavors and wonder if you now have commercial offerings?
Old 1st January 2021, 09:24 PM   #284
parker65310 is offline parker65310  United States
diyAudio Member

I want mine redone properly and I’m in a financial position where I can pay to go the Graz route and an installer in Bill Thalmann @ Music Technology that has been working on Apogees for over 20 years. He also spent about 25 years as the lead designer and #3 in the company at Conrad-Johnson. I’ve experienced the magic when they are hooked up to proper components (BAT VK-600 with bat pack amp, BAT VK- 5i tube preamp in my system), interconnects (all Silnote Audio), speaker cables (Symo designed to Jason Blume’s specs specifically for the Duetta II Signature Series), tube DAC (MHDT Orchid), etc. There are few speakers as finicky as the Duettas when it comes to speaker cables. If not done right they will not sound good, often thin. When it all comes together it is a really special listening experience.
  Reply to this post

Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?Hide this!Advertise here!