Anyone making Apogee bass panels?

Yes, it's possible..

go back in this thread, look for the URL of old forum.
Go there and search for "olafzen".
Take the first match.
It was subject of a fierce debate.

I'm very happy with the result.
No buzz at any volume (As much as the foils can handle)
Still playing fine.
Regards

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
It's worth doing. I've successfully completed one of my Duetta's and the buzz is gone with no ill effects. Not sure about the longevity of the fix, but only time will tell. It makes no sense, to me, to spend a boatload of money and have one of the "installers" completely tear apart an Apogee system (with perfectly good bass panels) to repair this foam problem.
Also, apparently, Rich Murray has come up with a fixing procedure for the foam buzz.....but it's a big secret.

Unfortunately, the Apogee forum has gone downhill considerably. I also found it funny a large portion of the threads related to this repair and other interesting procedures were "accidently" lost awhile back. I think most folks have had their fill of that forum. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Well, I've got a whole bunch more things to finish up before I worry to much about them.

Namely, Room treatment ,renforce exsisting cabinets ,finish routing cables,setup video equipment and fix the amp that powers them, as it decide to quit working as well.

Then take out all of the unused extra equipment so that there is room for them and I'm so glad summer is arriving . jer

I have a pair of 1 ohm Scintilla's that need new bass panels as they are starting to buzz. My approach is going to be a "roll your own". I have most everything I need now short of assembling the corrugating roller. Mine still work well, just on some program material they distort. I just can't come to grips with the cost of sending 2 x 150 pound speakers to another country to be refurb'd so I am going it alone. Can someone please post that reference link to "olafzen" as I can't seem to locate it. I did find a German site that has a manual of the procedure to replace the bass module and tune it properly. Thanks

Last edited:
Help is on the way :)

Hi audioquestM-40,

I'll dig out the link today. Mine (Apogee Duetta Signature) are working like new.
When I find the link, I'll post it here.
No need to put new foil in, there's another way, that's working fine.

Stay tuned.

Regards
Olaf

Hi,
go to: Your apogee is buzzing, and money is tight... - AudioWorld's StraightWire Forums

Feel free to ask, if something's not clear.

You can pm me, if you like.

Regards
Olaf

Thanks for the info. I can see how that might revive the front side, but what about the back foam that can't be gotten to? I see arguments from both sides. Agreeably the best is to have them redone, however it's costly so if a ribbon is beyond usefulness and the owner can't afford what it costs to send it in, then anything is worth a try as there's nothing really to lose.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
You can do it on the backside....but it's a little tricky. Olaf explains in the first posting.
I performed this procedure myself on one of my Duetta II's and it worked well. I didn't perform on the other speaker because I have something else in mind and my Apogee's will be test mules for that modification.

That Audioworld thread (and the way Olaf was treated) made me almost ashamed to be a member of that forum and is one of the reasons I left. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

I think that if I do end up replacing the diagphrams on my Duette's from scratch I will incorporate a rubber surround like on the Epsilon's,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/200038-analysis-epsilon.html

Somewhere I had found a link to someone that had created their own new diagphram on their Apogge's as well with very good results.

They had also tried to give them a corrugated texture but it wasn't as deep as the originals but still turned out very good.

If I can find the link I will post it for you.

jer :)

I think I am going to go down my original path of making some new bass panels. For now I'll leave mine alone until I am ready. If you find that link of how another person made their own I'd be really interested in seeing it. I think the tedious part is going to be cutting the slits in the foil but I have an idea. I took 2 - 2 1/4" Olfa circular cutting blades and mounted them on a handle with 1/8" spacer between to make a rotary cutter. I tried it on some foil and it cuts the slit perfectly. I will make a sliding track later so perfectly parallel slits can be cut.

Last edited:
Hi

I build my own apogee style speakers only with neo magnets for mid high and normal magnets for the baas panel.
I cut a 1,5 ohm bass panel from 18u aluminum and glue it to spinnaker cloth witch is 30 gr/m2 and no corrugations and I'm very happy with the result.
I also build a panel with 25u Kapton and 18u aluminum but listened to only one panel still building the second one.
I also want to build one with 6u Mylar and one like Analysis with a rubber surround.
I first cut the aluminum on a glass plate stuck with soap.
Then I glue a frame on the Kapton when it's dry I glue it to the aluminum and mount the frame to the speaker.
Still fine tune the methods but the result is already very good.

Rob

Attachments

• apogee.jpg
    apogee.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 642
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 631
  • magnets.jpg
    magnets.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_5133cs5.jpg
    IMG_5133cs5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 648
Hi

I build my own apogee style speakers only with neo magnets for mid high and normal magnets for the baas panel.
I cut a 1,5 ohm bass panel from 18u aluminum and glue it to spinnaker cloth witch is 30 gr/m2 and no corrugations and I'm very happy with the result.
I also build a panel with 25u Kapton and 18u aluminum but listened to only one panel still building the second one.
I also want to build one with 6u Mylar and one like Analysis with a rubber surround.
I first cut the aluminum on a glass plate stuck with soap.
Then I glue a frame on the Kapton when it's dry I glue it to the aluminum and mount the frame to the speaker.
Still fine tune the methods but the result is already very good.

Rob

That is some nice work. What type of blade did you use to cut the slits in the aluminum?

Last edited: