Anyone making Apogee bass panels?

Long-time lurker here, finally posting.

I have a pair of Apogee Stages with a blown bass ribbon. It seems no-one is making Stage bass ribbons, so I'm going to have a go at it myself. What I want to ask about is the thickness of the original materials.

I measure the whole laminated ribbon at a little over 3 mil (75 um). The exposed edges of Mylar measure about 1 mil less than that. So my initial thought was that the Mylar is 2 mil, and each aluminium foil is 0.5 mil. This doesn't take account of the adhesive, though. And the exposed edges of Mylar seem a little tacky, so perhaps my measurement there includes not only the Mylar but two layers of glue. The Mylar itself might only be 1 mil, then, or even 0.5 mil.

Does anyone know?

Oh, I also meant to ask: if I could get Kapton, would there be any reason not to use it in place of the Mylar? (I guess I'm going to have to make a pair of ribbons, because what I make will never match the original perfectly, so I could vary the design and use Kapton.)

Last edited:
Yes, but whether I use Kapton or Mylar I need to decide what thickness. Reading this and other threads, and thinking about what I'm measuring, I'm tempted to use 12 micron (0.5 mil) plastic. I assume that the adhesive on each side would probably be similar thickness. Then use 12 micron (0.5 mil) foil. Depending on the adhesive, this might work out a little thinner than the original overall.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

If I could find a ready-made laminate of aluminium and Mylar that would be great. But where would such a thing be for sale, in small quantities?

Also, the manufactured laminates I've read about all seem to have a much thicker adhesive layer than 2 or 3 μm. Pyralux, for example, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, seems to have a minimum adhesive layer of 12.5μm.

Long-time lurker here, finally posting.

I have a pair of Apogee Stages with a blown bass ribbon. It seems no-one is making Stage bass ribbons, so I'm going to have a go at it myself. What I want to ask about is the thickness of the original materials.
<snip>

Did you try to contact Graeme "Graz" from Apogee acoustics australia?
No first hand experience, but I`ve heard on several occasions that people got bass replacement parts for rebuilding old apogee speakers.

Well, maybe Florian will come to the rescue. :)

In the meantime, I'm still considering DIY bass ribbons. As I said in my previous post, I'm pretty sure the original foil on the Stage bass ribbons is around 0.5 mil (12 microns). I've also now done a rough calculation of the path length and equivalent wire gauge, and it seems to confirm that 12 micron foil is correct, as it suggests a total panel resistance in the region of 3 ohms.

Which leads to my next problem: does anyone know where to get 12 micron hard temper foil? The thinnest hard temper foil I can find is 25 micron (1 mil) at Grainger. But that would give a total panel resistance of 1.5 ohms.

full range planar 24 x 16 inches

don't use plastic anymore, use pictures which can be any one you choose including family pictures or whatever. You don't have to stretch the diaphragm at all use double sided tape to stick the diaphragm in position. Easy to do.Have built about a hundred or more. Have also placed the aluminium foil completely different and only use a very small amount, less than a quarter which I used in my old designs, and it is louder by a long way. I also use less magnets as well and it is more sensitive.Tried to put my photos in but it didn't work!!

full range planar 24 x 16 inches

uploaded at last you have to do them one at a time.

Attachments

• SAM_3561.jpg
    SAM_3561.jpg
    990.6 KB · Views: 182
  • SAM_3562.jpg
    SAM_3562.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_3564.jpg
    SAM_3564.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Grainger has some hard temper .001” foils or soft in .0007” at 18” width which means some
slight mods will be needed for the narrower width
The Diva used .001” foil and matched the original foils impedance of 3 ohms exactly
Not sure what thickness the Duetta used

pic Is the Scintilla panels I made and attachment point needed to fit

Attachments

• AC384438-AF81-4D20-9337-4305C3C8CB23.jpeg
    AC384438-AF81-4D20-9337-4305C3C8CB23.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Not an option, they have not fixed the land-problem in their guest shipping drop-down-menu, there are almost all countries in the world but not Finland. Even Aland Islands there is (tiny part of Finland), but not Finland itself. Ridiculous! Sent them a message, but I doubt it will have any effect...

Last edited:
They did respond!

"Grainger is a business to business company and we do not operate for the general public. If you would like to establish a business account, please see below:

• Complete the attached New Account form
  • If seeking a line of credit, complete the attached Line of Credit form
  • If you plan on Reselling these items, please also complete the attached Reseller form
Once the completed forms are returned, we will set up your account and process your request.
As always, if you have any questions we are here to help."