Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?
Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 03:06 PM   #131
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

All this talk of refurbing Apogees got me re-interested in finishing my Scinnies bass panels...anyone know where I can get new Mid/Tweeter ribbons for Scinnies? Also would be interested in trying a DIY effort for an experiment...

A long while ago I made my own ribbons for an Apogee caliper tweeter - I used the thinnest kitchen aluminum foil, put it thru my crank spaghetti maker to get a nice flat 1/4" wide strip (don't laugh - it worked a treat), and then ran thru a corrugator my wife had from Michael's craft stores.

I did not have kapton backing on the three strips, but I scotch taped the three sections every foot or so down its length to keep them apart, and connected them in series, with an additional 2 ohm resistor to get 4 ohm. Then used a weight (don't remember what it was - but was from installation instructions for an actual replacement tweeter ribbon) and set the ribbon tension. It worked out well, was it as good as original? Donno, but i was impressed that basic thin kitchen foil sounded as good as it did...
Old 14th November 2019, 03:46 PM   #132
RogerGustavsson is offline RogerGustavsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Repairs / Apogeeribbons

http://www.dis-elektrostaten.de/cms/142-2/
Old 16th November 2019, 10:04 PM   #133
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Caplinq
Has sputtered aluminum on Kapton total thickness (25.5 um) so a little over .001”

Part # PIT1N-ALUM/500-3

So you would have to find a way to etch off your traces
Excellent material from the looks of it
Not sure if it would hold a corrugation consistently as its appears to have a spread of tolerance variations..,
Free air res. is going to go up as well

Not bad on prices - available in 3 or 33 meters /500 mm width

Regards
David

Last edited by AVWERK; 16th November 2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:43 PM   #134
DeltaStar is offline DeltaStar  Canada
diyAudio Member

now that stuff is pricy!!!! 750.00 for a 100 ft roll
Old 16th November 2019, 10:48 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

3 meters will make quite a few mids at 108$ Or double that for 2 bass panels

I sent you an email BTW
Old 16th November 2019, 10:56 PM   #136
artm is offline artm  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you priced bass panels from Graz? Oh, that's right...you can't even by them.

I would think for some real Apogee hobbyist capable of rebuilding his panels this would be a steal.

This may be a stupid question but is aluminum the only metal option for this process? Why not copper?

Single-sided Pyralux(R) AC Features Excellent Dimensional Stability

The spec sheet here:

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/d..._DataSheet.pdf

...has the thinnest product at 21um (AC 091200E), 9 for the copper and 12 for the film.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:19 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Aluminum has 61% the conductivity of copper but is 30% lighter.
If you match the electrical conductivity of both , alum. is 50% lighter

Another issue is copper corrosion overtime at these thickness levels and whether you will coat the metal which adds mass
Looks like 250’ min order and copper is more expensive too boot

So already you have a weight penalty unless you want mass and a lower FR
Old 17th November 2019, 03:24 AM   #138
artm is offline artm  United States
diyAudio Member

How about this:

TR-Clad™ Flexible Laminates

9 um copper on 2 um film! Even with another front film or coating it's still light. Oh, they also make it with aluminum, 4um and up.

My thought years ago was to make a panel/ribbon without corrugations but embossed with a specific semi-random pattern, to stiffen the material and control resonances. it was a specific pattern I had seen on another prototype ribbon. Something like what RAAL does. Getting a bit off topic here...
Old 17th November 2019, 12:27 PM   #139
RogerGustavsson is offline RogerGustavsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

They seems to have a number of polyimide films, like 0.25 mil (6.35 µm).
Old 17th November 2019, 02:32 PM   #140
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
So here is the corrugation and its not like you can find an abundance of choice out in the market on what will work.
We do want a cheap solution to work with.
Even though it doesn’t match exactly, the actual height is in comparison is the same although it looks higher.
My cuts are bigger and that will more than likely result in less output but every frequency graph I have seen on Apogees shows huge bass gain relative to the rest of the spectrum.
The Scintilla being one of the worst at 10 to 15 db so maybe a good thing in the end.
Time will tell and a new template with thinner cuts is possible.
Attachment 794504
This is the first panel attempt I made so go easy
This i so impressive. I have worked on a corrugator for many years and I have not been successful so far. The problem I have experienced is that it misalign during the corrugation. I am now working on a new one. Could you share a picture of your corrugator? I am at the moment using uncorrugated aluminium and foil witch works, but I am wondering how a properly corrugated will sound. By the way I am using a DIY Krell KSA100 II (Jims Audio) with a little modification with 12 output transistors pr. side. Fully biased into class A and it sounds wonderful. 1000VA Toroidal trafos pr. side. This only shows the potential of this type of speaker and the ability it has to surprise you time and again.

Anyone making Apogee bass panels ?Hide this!Advertise here!