Plan to - Planot ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Already build a prototype by myself. Problem with HDD is that the resonate a lot. Solid core is better then a hollow core. 2 reasons; 1) the walls of the hollow core tends to vibrate and start generating there own sound. 2) inertia, the weight central points moves outwards and that harms impuls.

Have developed a theory on why it works. John @ Planot wasn't interested strangely enough. I am looking for people with avionics skills to help design the perfect diagram rotor.

For the motor, my advice would be: Find 2 identical HDD, cut out the coil of the head. (so you have 2 identical coils). get 2 bar magnets. Place one in the center of the driving rod. Other one across it to act as a center (like the planot does). No place the 2 coils (fixed) to the sides of the magnet and wire them parallel, but so that when first coils emits N the other coil emits S. The coils are placed straight across each other with the rod + magnet in between. Coils of HDD head s are around 13 ohm's, so parallel will load your amp around 6 ohm's.

Benefit:

1)You could wind your own coils with heavy gauge wire, the don't move any more, so weight is not an issue. You create this way indestructible voicecoils :)
2) No more moving lead wires to the diagram. If pushed to hard, the diagram would simply make a complete turn and no harm is done.

And that center magnet is really needed! Unless you want to create a tweeter only! No centering, and it losses mids and lows.

About the diagram rotor, don't be afraid to go large. My 1 cm cross section rotor didn't reach low that well, but highs where past 17 khz. Because of the "middelpuntvliedende kracht" (sorry, don't know the english term) mass isn't a big influence on rotation frequencies.
Also in a prototype with X wings, the sound output dropped to about zero, so the angle of attack on the air has an optimum, the triangle shape pushing the angle that still works.

Planning to start construction on a bigger rotor very soon. Bigger means longer and a wider cross section.

Have you already build a prototype?

The sound is very adictive btw

Audio friends I need your help. (Please share.)

Please follow this link and view my entry in the NASA Tech Briefs Create the Future Contest.
Box-less, Omnidirectional and Full-Range Speaker :: Create the Future Design Contest

Even if you have done it already, please do it again and “up the counter” on my entry’s page views. September, the voting closes!

Vote for my entry, if you could and, build the Planot!
At the bottom of the page, like the Planot; view my video demo of the Planot playing.

In 2015 I was awarded the honor of being included in the "Top 100 Entries" out of more than a 1000 entries world wide, by the judges.

This year I an working hard to win the grand prize of $20,000.
I can not only use these funds to create prototypes of a new consumer speaker, using my patented technology but I can also seek matching funds from the State of Nebraska and other funding sources.

Nebraska Innovation Fund Prototype Grants – Nebraska Department of Economic Development

My goal is to start a Crowd Funding campaign to build and deliver a consumer version of the Planot speaker to the public. Every little boost gets me closer to that goal.

Thank you.

Create the Future Design Contest ...

Thanks to all my friends and family who supported me in this technology contest. Thanks to the judges. While I did not win the top prize in my category, I am very pleased to be bested only by, M.I.T.
————
Create the Future Contest:

CONSUMER PRODUCTS CATEGORY WINNER
———
Aluminum Powered Electricity Generation
Peter Godart and Jason Fischman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, USA

Honorable Mention – Consumer Products Category
———
Box-less, Omnidirectional and Full-Range Speaker
John Gaudreault, Planot LLC, Omaha, NE, USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.