BG RD75 ~ How does it perform on an open baffle, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once again found myself thinking about these drivers again tonight and thought I'd start a thread..

Came across this "raw response" on the ole' LDSG site for the RD28.1.
http://ldsg.snippets.org/graphics/BGC/rd28a.gif

I'm guessing that overall horizontal off-axis behavior in the upper mid & high frequencies would be nearly identical to the other models? And roughly what size of a baffle would be needed for, say for instance the RD75, in order to be able to cross to a suitable woofer(s) at around 200Hz or less?

Of course, they seem fairly directional in the upper ranges, but the narrowish width of the diaphram (compared to other large planars) probably contributes to them actually not being nearly as bad as others I've dealt with (Magnepans, for example).

What's the minimum recommended listening distance with one of thse in a an OB? I'd have to use them at a fairly close listening distance (6-10 ft), therefore it'd basically be a very tall line source above the modal region. Perhaps one of the smaller models would be better for this application?

I'm currently only aware of one or more regular members of this forum that have a good amount of experience with these particular drivers, but that's about it. I'm hoping he (and others) will see it and offer some insight.

Thanks. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.