ESL Diaphragm coating

Just had this email from Edson.

Statclear A50 ESD Coating
500ml Spray Bottle
£18.00

Freight £5.75 (this covers both 1 and 2 bottles)

This is a stock item.

The surface resistivity does not alter with thickness of application. It sits at 10(7) - 10(8) Ohms and barely alters from that. Adding more layers will not alter it.

ESL 57 coating

Hi guys,

I want to share some pictures with you from my last testing on Quad ESL coatings.
The first picture (named original) is a photo from an original ESL-57 bass panel diaphragm taken from speaker # 40961 which places it in around 1976. Specially look at the colour haze, a bit brown/ purple haze that lies over the coating with the light shining on it correctly. This is a very peculiar look that I have never seen in any other coating I tried over the years. If writings and findings on the web are correct this should be a Calaton coating, or was this already removed from the marked in in '76 and replaced by something else?

The second picture is my test coating. And again look at the colour haze and the way the coating reacts to the surface. To me it looks very similar, but maybe I'm biased because I want to see it.

It looks like it's applied by a toddler, which I can assure you I'm not. When applied it was very very smooth and very even, but this is how it dried. (read posts and see photo's about this earlier in this thread).
Like with earlier coatings I tested this is just a first step. I have to see if I can apply it properly, how it measures and how it sounds, so still along way to go. But I thought you might wanted to see this.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 498
  • mytest.jpg
    mytest.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Axially oriented foils are widely avaiable because used for packaging, have higher mechanical properties and PP has higher internal damping.
Is it available in 3 micron? Does it have memory when stretched? I think this material is quite a different product from Mylar. BOPP is mostly used as stretch foil for packaging when I'm correct. It is also a base for stickers. Never heard they use it in capacitors for it's dielectric values. Have you compared technical data sheets?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tried Statclear A50, two coating with lint free pad, null resistance. My fingers have 500kOhm.
Don't understand what you're saying here. Null resistance! There is no material on the face of the earth that has null resistance! That it can be hard/impossiblke to measure, OK. How are you measuring? Is null in your terms close to completely conductive or close to complete isolation? What is the relevance of your fingers? Are you measuring through your fingers? StatClear has 10^6 to 10^7 resistance per square whether you apply it thick, thin in one layer or 10.

I mean of course no conductivity. I measured close distance between LCR meter electrodes on OPP foil with Statclear applied. Will try increase surface area of electrodes. By fingers I mean my LCR meter can measure high resistance.
If 500K is your idea of high, I thin you have a problem, because you must be able to measure Megs and Gigs, not kilos. Make a square measurement, not with the tips of your resistance meter.

Regardless you do a square measurement or not, you should be able to measure the order of magnitude of the resistance.
Some relatively cheap multimeters go up to 2000 Mohm (= 2 giga) which is sufficient in most cases. Try to get one.
I do have a megger which measures up to 10 exp 15 ohm at different voltages and it can be useful for some experiments but for a fast check I use the cheap and more convenient device .