ESL Diaphragm coating

Re: Call me a dreamer if you like...

arend-jan said:

What would this forum be like if we start sharing everything we know?

I get the impression that we like to talk about stuff in here, but when it comes to providing actual information it often gets rather quiet. Or is it just me?
In other words: I don't think we have made any progress in this thread except for the corona treatment device posted by SY.

I understand that for those involved in making a buck from this, that there are some things that won't be shared. There are some things I won't share either, so I leave those subjects at home. There is not much point in bringing them up without the intend to give full disclosure.

Wouldn't you agree that we could all make much more progress if we work together? You may think you're the smartest kid on the block, but believe me we could all learn from each other! Look for example at the open source community. Do you think Linux could have gotten where it is today if those developers were all keeping secrets from each other? Think about it.

Now like I said I'm no saint, I have my "secrets". But I sometimes wish I didn't.

Wow, Arend-Jan! You have got to be one of the most honest guys who speaks out loud I've ever known. I am thinking the same way you are thinking. If we can share everything that we know, who knows that we might end up making something a lot better than what we are doing today.

Count me in for sharing everything that one knows. I have no secrets, and am willing to share anything. I have learned a lot from here, and I'm willing to give many folds back.

Wachara C.

A quick search for similar(?) material brought up Vermason C901 floor polish. It supposedly yields 10^7 - 10^10 ohms/square when applied in the usual concentration and >30% humidity. I'd be a bit concerned that their data sheet says it performs best between 30 and 65% humidity. That makes it sounds like its performance would be fairly humidity dependent--exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Few

For OEMs, an interesting alternative is to add some Ciba Irgastat P, maybe 10%, to Surlyn or similar ionomer. That would extrude and downgauge very nicely, and the films are very tough and flexible. In previous work, I found that the conductivity was pretty insensitive to humidity. As a bonus, the film is clear and with conductivity throughout the bulk, the charge distribution will be quite even.

Again, not practical for the diyer, but it would be nice if one of the larger manufacturers used some actual up-to-date technology instead of rehashing 30 year old methods.

Few said:
A quick search for similar(?) material brought up Vermason C901 floor polish. It supposedly yields 10^7 - 10^10 ohms/square when applied in the usual concentration and >30% humidity. I'd be a bit concerned that their data sheet says it performs best between 30 and 65% humidity. That makes it sounds like its performance would be fairly humidity dependent--exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Few

Perhaps the floor polish made by Techspray could work?

It is described as being humidity independent:
"This product is a high gloss floor finish designed for use in electronic production areas, computer rooms and other static sensitive areas. Contains a non-migratory, static dissipative polymer which will maintain a constant surface resistivity of 106 to 108 ohms throughout the humidity spectrum.Zinc free. High Gloss. Slip Resistant. Works in low humidity."

Attached is the spec sheet.

Attachments

• licron_1720.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 198
JonasKarud said:
Bolserst, the bottle looks identical...and the second and third
ingredient on the Licron list can be found in DFP-410 as well.

The Ammonium Hydroxide and Acrylic Copolymer is also
found in DFP-410...

There is a local supplier here in Fort Worth that I can get a gallon for $60. Not too painful. I could certainly send some out to those interested in experimenting with the understanding that they would share their results. I don't think the Post office would have any issues with mailing floor polish.

Assuming the chemical makeup of Techspray 1720 floor polish is very similar to the Prostat DFP-410 then to make a suitable high resistance coating:

1) Take 350mL of 1720 and add contents of one permanent marker. Sharpie markers should work? pick your color?

2) After mixing, dilute somewhere between 1:5 and 1:10 with distilled water to get the resistance you are looking for.

3) Application by rubbing on with cloth. Circular motion like waxing a car? or long extending strokes like painting?

Sound about right?

I like the idea of being able to mix up a lower resistance solution to use on the edges and around the perimeter of the panel. Then switch to the higher resistance solution for the active area of the diaphragm that will actually be moving and under the influence of the stator's electrostatic field.

Oh, I have sent off an email to Techspray inquiring about shelf life and best storage techniques since the data sheet did not provide this info.

Attachments

• sharpie.jpg
    sharpie.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 625
Hi Jonas,

you told me that you put the cartridge of a specific denish permanent marker into a 5 Liter bottle of DFP 410 and dissolved it for a few days. The marker brand isn't avaiable anymore

i did some measurements with your old recipe (which i have 50ml still on stock) and diluting with destilled water set conductivity proportional to diluting.

As others propose some kind of permanent marker i believe that only specific ones will work. Which one ? i do not know.

Maybe its better to go with black ink (Chinese ink), because its made of carbon black.

Capaciti

For OEMs, an interesting alternative is to add some Ciba Irgastat P, maybe 10%, to Surlyn or similar ionomer. That would extrude and downgauge very nicely, and the films are very tough and flexible. In previous work, I found that the conductivity was pretty insensitive to humidity. As a bonus, the film is clear and with conductivity throughout the bulk, the charge distribution will be quite even.

Again, not practical for the diyer, but it would be nice if one of the larger manufacturers used some actual up-to-date technology instead of rehashing 30 year old methods.

Has anyone investigated Semitron products from Quadrant? I had considered them at one time for a static dissipative turntable mat but one or more of their products may work for diaphragms.

http://www.quadrantepp.com/default.aspx?pageid=192

John

Capaciti, the marker pen was added for better hardening, and as I remember it, one of the many markers I used was very big and had zebra stripes on the label. I do not remember the brand.

To much ink destroyed the conductivity.

Bolserst, do a test first without diluting and marker pen.

After that You can experiment with different marker pens.

I always used a ordinary foam roller when applying the coating, rolling very slowly to avoid small irritating bubbles. I recently have discovered is that its good to warm up the coating to fingerwarm before applying.

It would be very nice to receive a sample of this 1720 polish.

JonasKarud said:
Capaciti, the marker pen was added for better hardening, and as I remember it, one of the many markers I used was very big and had zebra stripes on the label. I do not remember the brand.

To much ink destroyed the conductivity.

Bolserst, do a test first without diluting and marker pen.

After that You can experiment with different marker pens.

I always used a ordinary foam roller when applying the coating, rolling very slowly to avoid small irritating bubbles. I recently have discovered is that its good to warm up the coating to fingerwarm before applying.

It would be very nice to receive a sample of this 1720 polish.

Jonas,

Can you describe what you mean by hardening? Did the DFP 410 remain slightly soft or tacky without the marker pen additive? or did it just help it cure more quickly?

Also, do you happen to know what chemical it was in the marker that was beneficial for hardening?

I got a response back from Techspray. They said that shelf life was typical more than a couple of years if kept at room temperature away from sunlight. They did say that if the product gets too cold(near freezing) it can separate.

I called and placed the order only to find out that it was a non-stocked item, so shipped directly from manufacturer. Delivery time is typically 2 weeks.

I will let you know when it arrives and we can arrange for shipment of a decent size sample for you to experiment with.

Problem is, they're only supplied in stock shapes and the material selection doesn't include the better polymers for thin films.

Yeah, I didn't see whether they were available as film or not - my only dealings with the stuff were on the surplus market. So polyethyleneimine film is not suitable? I've always wondered about the performance of films with higher internal friction than Mylar (although I'm not saying that's the case with PEI - I don't know).

John

PEI is difficult to make into a good film. For years, when GE made the resin, their extruded film was terrible- I had to source it from an independent extruder. Even then, getting anything of quality below 0.005" was pretty much impossible. Unfortunately, for an ESL, you need something ten times thinner....

The damping of these engineering thermoplastics is not great- the films are "crinkly" compared to PET. PEN might be a good candidate, too. I still like Clysar the best from that standpoint (and the ability to really shrink it!), but I no longer have access to thin enough gauges.

bolserst said:

Jonas,

Can you describe what you mean by hardening? Did the DFP 410 remain slightly soft or tacky without the marker pen additive? or did it just help it cure more quickly?

Also, do you happen to know what chemical it was in the marker that was beneficial for hardening?

The coating cured more quickly and stuck to the film in a better way. Sorry, I do not know the chemical that was beneficial for
hardening.

The coating could be used without adding marker pen ink, but subjectivly, I thought it worked better with the ink. You know, its very hard to experiment with these things, as the test periods may last up to a year!

JonasKarud said:

The coating cured more quickly and stuck to the film in a better way. Sorry, I do not know the chemical that was beneficial for
hardening.

The coating could be used without adding marker pen ink, but subjectivly, I thought it worked better with the ink. You know, its very hard to experiment with these things, as the test periods may last up to a year!

I did a little research on the Sharpie website to find out what chemicals their different markers use:

1) Standard and industrial fine point: Dyes, n-propanol, n-butanol, diacetone alcohol
described as quick drying, permanent on most sufaces

2) Industrial Magnum and Kingsize: xylene, dyes (these are the super stinky nearly instant drying types)
descriped as water resistant, quick drying, marks on wet and oily surfaces

3) Industrial professional: Nitroparaffin solvent, naphtha solvent, resins, dyes
described as quick drying, permanent on most surfaces including wet, oily, abrasive, and nonporous surfaces

4) Industrial Meanstreak: Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, pigments, resins, gelling agents
described as waterproof formula, resists fading, adheres to virtually any surface

Other than the xylene, the data sheets indicate that the chemicals are considered non-toxic.

3) & 4) look the most promising to me for improving adherance to PET film.

Anybody with a little chemical background or experience with coatings have any comments?