Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 539
Thanks, I read it already. The problem is, when I power it on and hold C key it ignores it and boots into the Mac OS X.

What if to replace the hard drive, so it can't find OS? Will it boot from CD then?

Are you holding down the C key when you hit the power button or after you hit the power button?
This link suggests holding down the C key before hitting the power button.

Also, have you updated your iMac to the latest firmware?

Last edited:
Just a short info about merging sound cards for multichannel playback using the alsa "multi" feature.

Theoretically, USB adaptive cards connected to USB controllers timed by the same clock (i.e. controllers in the same chipset, typically those built into the southbridge) should run synchronously.

I took an 8-channel USB card, a 6 channel one, and created a 14 channel multi device in .soundrc, for details see Asoundrc - AlsaProject . I left the virtual device playing on all 14 channels the whole night (playing /dev/urandom through sox) without a single xrun. IMO the two USB cards run synchronously indeed.

OK, I'm probably going to get hit here, but I am trying to get sound out of a linux box with drivers for the hiface async usb device. I downloaded and installed the audiophile linux distro (AudioPhile Linux | Audio Perfection on Linux). I first tried it with a cheapo usb-spdif converter based on the PCM2707 chip - all went well. So wanting the best sound, and a truer comparison to a windows install, I went ahead and downloaded and then installed the 3rd party drivers for the hiface.

I managed to get that done, but have hit a problem. When I open Jack control I can see the hiface there in the hardware ok, but I get continual errors saying Jack cannot connect to the sever. I'm kinda up against a wall here of not knowing enough about linux. Is it possible that someone who knows this stuff could take a quick peek at the message below and tell me what to do?

22:31:09.076 Patchbay deactivated.
22:31:09.088 Statistics reset.
22:31:09.111 ALSA connection change.
ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
22:31:09.139 ALSA connection graph change.
22:31:31.700 JACK is starting…
22:31:31.701 /usr/bin/jackd -p1024 -t2000 -dalsa -dhw:1 -r44100 -p16 -n4 -P
ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
22:31:31.758 JACK was started with PID=2451.
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp 1.9.9
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
control device hw:1
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver … hw:1|-|16|4|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 16 frames (0.4 ms), buffer = 4 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: cannot set period size to 16 frames for playback
ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
22:31:32.133 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
22:31:33.770 Could not connect to JACK server as client. – Overall operation failed. – Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

I appreciate that there are arguments back and forth that this distro is nothing special - yep, that maybe so, but its what I have installed right now and if I can get it working with the hiface I'd be very happy indeed!!

Any help much appreciated.

Fran

1. Do not use jack for pure audio playback. Jack is a tool for connecting audio processing applications into zero-latency network. It is used for music creation, not consumption. If your distribution is setup to use jack as default, no wonder there are complaints from music consumers.

2. The jack being DAW tool is trying to squeeze 0.4ms period time (i.e. latency) out of your soundcard which is way below its lower limit ( https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/pcm.c#L108 and https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/pcm.c#L24 ). The driver is clearly not suitable for low-latency work as the min period bytes of 4096 is a lot. However, for music consumption it makes no issue.

Tell us which player (sw) you want to try and we can help you set it up to output directly to alsa, with no audio server in between.

First, I would remove the jack sound server to make sure it gets out of your way:

sudo aptitude remove jackd

If you do not plan on using the computer for general computing, I would remove pulseaudio too:

sudo aptitude remove pulseaudio

Now you can start audacious, go to preferences, choose alsa output plugin and select the option hw:x,x with the name of the soundcard you want to use. That will make audacious output directly to your soundcard, with minimum layers in between.

Fran,

What made you chose this AudioPhile Linux | Audio Perfection on Linux? It's not a proper linux distro, it promotes the idea that you need a RT kernel and jackd for audio playback when using Linux which is nonsense. Even worse it defaults to using pulseaudio as well.

Honestly, I'd re-install a standad lightweight Linux distro and you'll probably get it up and running far quicker. My choice for those new to Linux would be the latest version of Lubuntu.

lubuntu | simplify your computer

It's doesn't use pulseaudio by default. It comes with audcious and you can install deadbeef easily from here:

DeaDBeeF - Ultimate Music Player For GNU/Linux

The hiface drivers will install OK using Unixman's instructions in this thread a few pages back at #2036.

Follow these tips to get bit-perfect audio playback via ALSA from deadbeef:

Bit Perfect Audio from Linux

Always fully update a fresh Linux install, in Lubuntu use the "synaptic pakage manager". You can also install a "low-latecny" kernel if you wish. Look for the "linux-lowlatency" metapackage. Reboot after it's installed to use any new kernel.

Hi All,

phofman: your advice worked like a charm. All working well now and I have sound!

Thanks!

Eudyptes: I simply saw it referred to on the web and decided to try it. I had an old HP P4 machine and I stuck a spare sata drive in to try it out. I have seen the disdain that this distro was looked on after I installed it! So it wasn't after any great thought. I also wanted to do a compare between a freebie linux set up playng a track through my jkdac32 and the same from a W7 laptop with jplay.

Result: linux is roughly= to jplay on laptop.

But put jplay to hibernate etc and it pulls ahead.

No doubt there can be more done in the linux set up to improve this.

Thanks again to all - I very much appreciate your time and effort in helping me out.

Fran

OK, I going to be gauche here and ask a few questions for which I know there are answers floating around already. I've spent a bit of time sifting but I just don't have that much of it b/w work and kids and all that.

I want quality digital 2 or 3-way stereo crossover, filtering, room correction, etc. before we ever touch produce an analog signal...and then to produce analog signals but bi/tri-amping. Cheap-ish (duh). What are the best options? Where should I be looking to find out more (without having to sift through quite so much)?

If you think I'm a lazy turd and don't deserve an answer you're probably right. If you think I'm a lazy turd and have some help for me anyway then thanks :D

BTW -- Linux on more boxes than I can count. Mostly Mint. Would probably do all my work on 'nix except for the fact that my coworkers use OSX and sometimes it is helpful that we're all developing on the same platform.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.