Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 support
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2021, 12:57 AM   #1
goodguys is offline goodguys  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 support

Hi Thanks for reading.

I am wanting to purchase a new micro atx motherboard for building a home theatre pc. I have a 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor and would like a mobo which accepts this. Also a reliable board. My last mobo died and took the hard drive with it and I lost 8 TB of data, still smarting over that.
Also do you know of there is any advantage to purchasing a gaming board, they seem to use more power and have higher specs, but does it have any meaning for improving htpc. I heard asus mobos are good so am leaning towards them but will welcome any mobo recommendations. I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio, and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.
So I need: 1. micro atx motherboard 2. 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor support 3. High reliability 4. Good graphics adaptor 5. Budget is 200
Many thanks.
Old 15th September 2021, 02:53 AM   #2
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

6th gen is old, here 11th is being advertised.
LGA 1151 is i3

Gigabyte and MSI are considered top quality, then Intel Original.
Asus and Asrock are barely adequate.
Biostar is cheap, do not buy.
Change to an over rated power supply, 20% extra.
I varnish the track sides as protection from dust and damp in all my SMPS.
Find a lenovo i3 or i5, even i7 for sale. Superb build quality, upgrade the RAM and HDD, good to go, expect to pay less than 100.

And you should be looking at computer sites, not here.

Last edited by NareshBrd; 15th September 2021 at 03:10 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 03:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You want to retain the old CPU?
Then finding a matching board of good quality might be an issue.
My advice is that I need to test the CPU and board matching...happened to me, HP board blew, DDR3, the CPU would not work on the brand new board I got, so I got another CPU, E6550, C2D, for 3 quid.
The 2.93 Ghz, C2D, E7400, removed from the HP board, worked on a DDR2 board I had got for another friend, go figure.

Old CPU scrap price is about 1 quid for C2D.
Don't get tied down by that, and get a second hand Lenovo PC, they work well, strong build.
HP, Dell, Compaq...those are also good, though not as strong as Lenovo in terms of build quality.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You may get poor quality or second level boards for old CPU, and those can have bad solder (!), bad caps, poor Mosfets, cheap connectors, flimsy build.
I have been that route, and my advice is to stay away.
Your data is important.

The work from home trend and the semiconductor shortage has pushed prices up by 50% since March, and even unlikely looking stuff is sold.
My accountant paid 300 quid for an ASUS all in one PC, no optical drive and E6400 CPU. Brand new.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:52 AM   #5
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

I use an Odroid H2 for this purpose. It's tiny, power efficient and silent. The H2 is obsolete now but Hardkernel have replaced it with a new model.
Old 15th September 2021, 07:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just got the model number of the cpu, it is i5-6400t
Old 15th September 2021, 08:09 AM   #7
Mark.Clappers is offline Mark.Clappers  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've been using a ASRock > Z270M-ITX/ac for years without a problem, running a I5-6600K in a PC that was build as a 4K HTPC with some gaming ability (GTX1060 6GB).

Also been running an ASRock Rack E3C232D2I since 2017 in my NAS, no problems whatsoever.

For me at least Asrock (Rack) has been solid.
Old 16th September 2021, 07:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Does it matter if the cpu is 6th generation? it does the job, in task manager it runs at 22% so seems fast enough for htpc, are there any advantages to purchasing a more modern cpu.

Also i am wanting a motherboard with good graphics but have been reading that this is a function of the cpu, what does this mean? Is the graphics card integrated onto the cpu? How is this possible? I have a few pci-e graphics cards and they are quite large, how can they fit such a large card onto a cpu.

Also is a graphics card necessary as i take hdmi out to an external screen, so is it the screen that determines picture quality?

Last edited by goodguys; 16th September 2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 16th September 2021, 07:06 AM   #9
Mark.Clappers is offline Mark.Clappers  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If it works it works.. I'm happy still running my I5-66600K and Xeon E3-1280V5, and heck an I7 6700HQ in the laptop I'm using right now

The I5-6400t info can be found here: Intel Core i56400T Processor 6M Cache up to 2.80 GHz Product Specifications
It has an IGP but it will struggle to do x265 for example. Just add a small GPU like a GTX1030 and you're good to go.

There aren't huge advantages to a more modern CPU, the only one for this application would be that you can skip the GPU if you use something like a Core i3-10105. It will be faster to of course, but if you don't need that...

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 16th September 2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 16th September 2021, 08:46 AM   #10
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For audio you should consider Asus Gene series, or AS Rock Phantom - be reported on Audiophile style to be the best. You can also run Euphony, Moode of other hifi software on it which are great!

Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 supportHide this!Advertise here!