Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 support

I did not yet say anything about CPU, but powerhungry CPU will draw more currents from 12V rails, those PSU unit will be hotter in average, temperature in a case also affected.

Its a matter of trying, few cheap psus with different AC line filterings(sometimes less is more)

Mediocre CPU and MB with better PCIe contacts. Dont need to think over the top.

Energy efficiency is the way to go imo :p

Rensli:
Power is generated by a rotating magnetic or electromagnetic field.
To have magnetic wires...you need to revise your basics.

He wants to reuse a 10 Euro CPU...that is the issue.
Read my earlier posts.
Better to buy the newest bundle, within budget.
VIA and Gigabyte also make fan less motherboards with embedded CPU.
Worth looking at.

Power is generated by a rotating magnetic or electromagnetic field.
To have magnetic wires...you need to revise your basics.

:)

:magnet:

Attachments

• MagField_Current-1.jpg
    MagField_Current-1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 99
In 2006 I installed a new version of Windows.
To my absolute horror it formatted not only c:: drive but backup drive too.
I did have some items on DVD but certainly not everything.
So i feel your pain.
I always disconnect backup drive now when installing Windows.

I have found Asus to be a good motherboard having used a few now.
The 1151 is the same as my coffeelake system.
My motherboard z390-p works with up to 9900 processor.
I find a 8700k to work very well for all my needs even compiling large programs under Visual Studio.
I even use onboard graphics which while not as fast as a graphics card does save 100 watts which mounts up when I am on the PC all day.
And I still use CAD software with it.

6th gen is old, here 11th is being advertised.
LGA 1151 is i3

Gigabyte and MSI are considered top quality, then Intel Original.
Asus and Asrock are barely adequate.
Biostar is cheap, do not buy.
Change to an over rated power supply, 20% extra.
I varnish the track sides as protection from dust and damp in all my SMPS.
Find a lenovo i3 or i5, even i7 for sale. Superb build quality, upgrade the RAM and HDD, good to go, expect to pay less than 100.

And you should be looking at computer sites, not here.

Asus is the best motherboard brand you could buy. And the more expensive. OEM motherboards for lenovo, dell or hp are NOT what you should buy.
I have Asus Maximus Gene VIII and I7 6700k , I don't use them anymore , I used them for maybe 2 years and I upgraded to i7 10700 . I will list them on ebay .

Asus uses Chinese capacitors and Mosfets here, they have a budget brand called Asrock also.
Gigabyte and MSI use Japanese capacitors and top brand Mosfets.
Better quality connectors and sockets also.
Those do make a very big difference.
Quite possible that being in Europe you may be getting better material from the same maker, with even the same model number.
Hence my advice, based on my experience here.

For the last 15 years I lived in USA, I built a lot of computers , mostly gaming and I like asus more than other motherboard company , my vote is based on quality, reliability and last is the price. Maybe I should mention that I never used a budget board , I never had an Asus motherboard to die on me , but it happened with MSI and Gigabyte .

For linux (moode, euphony, etc) any low-power good-brand hardware will do perfectly, absolutely no reason to go for latest CPUs/RAM. Unless you want to upsample to DSD512 which I do not see any reason for.

Just avoid a ground loop which is the very key to clean playback. Many people swearing by a specific motherboard/CPU just try to minimize the damage caused by the ground loop in their chain.

Have you checked if you can get a 1151 MB at all?
Don't confuse it with 1151-2. For that board you've to use a cpu from 8th generation.

If you can find it, your cpu is probably fast enough. Not a powerpack exactly, but you haven't specified your usage. Nor the display. For 4k you have to use the DisplayPort for max Hz for instance.

I would go for a newer board and with a better iGPU, instead of buying a 1030 GT. The gpu-marked is still a bit crazy and the newest CPU's (with inbuild graphics) are just fine for HTPC use. Especially AMD, but also Intel from 11th gen (Xe better, but HD630 would also work).

Have you checked your PSU, since your previous mb failed?

Thanks!
I have totally scrapped my old motherboard and power supply, i think it was the power supply that was damaged and took out the motherboard and hard drive, sold it all on ebay cheap.

I got in a corsair RM 650 watt, then later upgraded to a corsair HX 1000watt.

Can you expand a little on why a K-series processor should sound better

I have totally scrapped my old motherboard and power supply, i think it was the power supply that was damaged and took out the motherboard and hard drive, sold it all on ebay cheap.

:eek::eek:

I would never knowingly pass on dud kit to someone else and make my problem their problem for gain...

I send doubtful and broken electronics directly to the recyclers who then recover any metals or plastics often for charitable causes benefit.

Computers, Hardware, Appliances | Recycling for Charity | Wellington NZ

We collect the IT equipment that would otherwise be destined for landfill and give it new life by refurbishing, using for parts or recycling.

We then make a donation to our partnering charities from on the on-sale of refurbished items.

We also donate refurbished computers to families in need within our community. It is a win-win situation for everyone involved and one that truly makes a difference for charities and the environment.

Last edited: