clicks and pops with RPi4 and Audiolab M-Dac via USB

Hi,
I am trying to set-up a system around my Audiolab M-Dac connected via USB to a RPi4.
Unfortunately I am getting regular clicks and drop outs every few seconds.

I have tried PiCorePlayer (pCP) and Volumio with the same result. In pCP there are a lot of tweaks around the USB interface but non of them worked. I am using WLAN but as the output via the RPi-headphone-out is OK I don't think this is the issue.

The M-Dac works well when it is connected to a Squeezebox touch with the advanced digital output plug-in installed.

The buffer level in the M-Dac is fluctuating a lot and also the sampling rate display is often not correct although I don't do any data processing (at least not on purpose).
The M-Dac is running on the Lakewest firmware.

Any ideas? Has anyone this combination up and running fine?

Joe

Raspberries have a shared USB bus limited at 480mb/s (much less in reality). Wifi uses that same bus. And there is an explicit warning about trying to play anything above 44.1 material here: USB - Raspberry Pi Documentation look under "esoteric USB sound cards" :)
I would suggest you try wired Ethernet just to see if it makes a difference.
RPI headphone out doesn't use the USB bus so it won't be affected.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think it might be a Audiolab M-Dac specific issue.

I am using a RPi4B and USB Topping E30 DAC upsampled to 705.6 and it never pops. I am also using the built-in wifi.

As already suggested, try adjusting the buffers.

Also, are you using the USB 2 or USB 3 port?

Unfortunately, everything I have works without tweaking, which means I am not much help.

If you don't get help here, I'd suggest reposting on the Squeezebox forum.

RPi4 has a standalone PCI-e-USB controller VL805 connected to the USB2/USB3 ports. The USB-C port is connected to internal USB2 dwc2 interface (part of the Broadcom SoC). Wifi is provided by CYW43455 connected via one of the SDIO interfaces of the SoC How to hw-disable the Raspbery Pi-4 Wlan-/Sd-Card Controller CYW 43455 (aka BCM43438) - Raspberry Pi Forums

There are many reports about M-Dac clicks and dropouts on internet, even with proprietary windows/macos drivers. The ancient USB1.1-only TAS1020B USB receiver has problems handling split transactions which are used in highspeed USB (2.0+) to handle full/low speed traffic (USB1, 1.1) USB Made Simple - Part 7

Audiolab Mdac - years have gone by, still linux support broken | pink fish media

GitHub - comps/ehci-mdac: ehci-hcd.c automatic patch + rebuild, working around kernel bugs affecting the Audiolab MDAC

I would try some older USB2 (not USB3) hub, maybe...

Thank you for your input.

In the meantime I have tried wired ethernet and both USB socket (which is which?) without success. I had already played with the ALSA settings before (the ones which made sense to me like buffer) but no difference.

I tried the M-Dac on my linux laptop where I also had clicks and dropouts but less so.

Will try a windows laptop on the weekend.

Looks like the M-Dac is the issue here but as said before it works with my squeezebox touch and EDO-plug in (enhanced digital out) although a bit unstable when booting. Sometimes it needs 3 tries to boot up.

Thx phofman, saw your reply to late.
Will do some reading of the links you provided.

I tried a USB hub on pCP already (no success), need to the test it on the other configs.

The squeezebox touch also needs a HSB hub, I should have mentioned that.

Cheers,
Joe

Seems like there is an issue with the old USB chip in the M-Dac with modern Linux kernels and modern USB interfaces. Don't think I can fix that.

Anyway, I have tried it on a Rpi2 with pCP and it works without problems. That is interesting as the USB implementation in the Rpi2 is not so good. Hope it has enough CPU power to implement some PEQ filters later.

So, for now I guess I will focus on getting Ethernet cable to my stereo system.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Hi,
I am trying to set-up a system around my Audiolab M-Dac connected via USB to a RPi4.
Unfortunately I am getting regular clicks and drop outs every few seconds.

I have tried PiCorePlayer (pCP) and Volumio with the same result. In pCP there are a lot of tweaks around the USB interface but non of them worked. I am using WLAN but as the output via the RPi-headphone-out is OK I don't think this is the issue.

The M-Dac works well when it is connected to a Squeezebox touch with the advanced digital output plug-in installed.

The buffer level in the M-Dac is fluctuating a lot and also the sampling rate display is often not correct although I don't do any data processing (at least not on purpose).
The M-Dac is running on the Lakewest firmware.

Any ideas? Has anyone this combination up and running fine?

Joe
I am running Daphile on a Wyse thin client into the usb of a M-Dac and it works without trouble. I did have a 10Zig thin client and it was so awful with clicks and drop outs I had to use a USB to toslink optical convertor which did work OK.
The thin clients I used were PCs and not Pis though.
But you could use a USB to optical convertor and into the M-Dac

In the meantime I have a RPi3 running with the M-Dac as well - using MoOde including some PEQ filters. Also the RPi2 was powerful enough for the PEQs.

So, only the RPi4 is having issues with the M-Dac.

One issue is left: Unfortunatey the PEQ does not work together with the squeezelite renderer in Moode. If I use squeezelite the PEQ has no effect.
Which is a pitty as my Deezer account runs via the Logitech Media Server and I cannot use Deezer directly in MoOde. I also like the Squeezbox user interface via the "material" plug-in.
Any idea is welcome to resolve this.

Well, I am relatively new to Rpi. However, I recently got a Rpi4 8GB. I also got an ArgonOne V2 case and an Allo Shanti Power Supply Unit.

I have Volumio running on Rpi4. HDD is connected to Rpi USB 3. 0 port. There's a shielded Ethernet cable from Rpi to Router.

Using the USB 2.0 of the Rpi4, I have connected a Monolith USB A to B cable to Topping D50s DAC.

I use a Diy version of Nelson's M2 amp. Speakers are FostexFE168Sigmas in MLTQWPs. RCA and Speaker Cables are constructed by me, from scratch.

For comparison I also have a Marantz CD5004 CD player connected to the Coax input of DAC.

Playing Spotify, YouTube via Bubble UPNP, High Resolution Audio and DSD, I can say that I could hardly ask for any better fidelity and listening pleasure.

So the fault is not with Rpi4 but the incompatibility of your DAC.