Raspberry + Tidal

Hi everybody,
I was using a Rasp4b with moOde streaming from Tidal till last week.
From last week Tidal is not giving access to moOde anymore (from what I understood).
So I'm looking for a way to stream music directly from Tidal from the raspberry: I don't want to use another "source" (mobile phone) using Tidal Connect and streaming in this way to the raspberry.

So I was looking for a version of rasp OS that could run a Tidal app or something similar... As anyone got any idea?
Thanks

Crim

Legendary film that is so close to being an accurate documentary its not true.

I personally used android and also a touchscreen interface on the Pi. The interface was much the same on both. Tidal worked, but you don't get the proper tidal interface, you can search for things perfectly well etc, but its more text than graphical I found. You may do better on an iphone with iPeng, but I never tried.

I since moved to Qobuz (to avoid MQA) and Volumio (I found the picore on my Pi compatible touchscreen would lock up but the phone interface still work fine). I'm loathed to pay a subscription to link, but at some point I might, Volumio is pretty slick if I'm honest, I just feel that between Quobuz and Volumio I have a lot of monthly payment to not really own anything.

Nice thing with a Pi is you can just knock up an SD card and give it a go, if you don't like it pop the old one back in and re-boot

Last edited:
that exactly the point.
I would like to BUY Volumio, like a licence, rather to pay a subscription to it.
That is what is bothering me.

Yeah, exactly.
I just bought a spare SD for PiCore Player and I will play with it during the weekend.
In case picore will fail I will simply put back the moOde SD and at least use Tidal connect on moode.

Last edited:
@Crimmah

I have run this on rpi4b and rpi3b+

TIDAL Connect installation! - Raspberry Pi Forums

On the rpi3b+ I used Stretch Desktop and the rpi 4b Buster Desktop

My tip is to make the audio output device on the rpi the default player before running the install

Results can vary, but once working it seemed pretty stable.

On the rpi4b I was able to also run Squeezelite and Spotify-Connect clients along with the Tidal-Connect, not concurrently, obvs :)

ronnie

Last edited:
I use my own built all-in-one system with tidal connect and it is working ok so far.
The app seems buggy on the phone for the controling, but when it's working well, the sound is amazing.
Some use an additional volume control app, but I have a USB volume control connected to the Pi.
Just the lite version of RpiOS and HiTide.
Took a bit to figure out what to do to configure it, but it actually runs better on RPi than on the phone.
The other way is to use shairport-sync from a desktop to the RPi which actually works very well, but you wont get the 24bit master playback AFAIK.

To install..

curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shawaj/HiTide/main/install.sh | sudo bash

To determine soundcard..
/usr/ifi/ifi-tidal-release/pa_devs/bin/ifi-pa-devs-get

Copy the soundcard identifier from the list and paste it into the file..
sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service

Mine is IQAudIODAC as follows..

[Unit]
Description=RasPi Streamer Tidal Connect Service
[Service]
Restart=on-failure
ExecStart=/usr/ifi/ifi-tidal-release/bin/tidal_connect_application \
--tc-certificate-path "/usr/ifi/ifi-tidal-release/id_certificate/IfiAudio_ZenStream.dat" \
-f "GHOST" \
--codec-mpegh true \
--codec-mqa false \
--model-name "GHOST" \
--disable-app-security false \
--disable-web-security false \
--enable-mqa-passthrough false \
--playback-device "IQaudIODAC: DAC HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 (hw:0,0)" \
--log-level 3 \
--enable-websocket-log "0"

User=root
Group=root
RestartSec=1
KillMode=control-group
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Restart the daemon and check the status..
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service
systemctl status ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service

Enable at boot..
systemctl enable ifi-streamer-tidal-connect.service

MQA - 24bit playback - sounds amazing

Screenshot_20210510_071710_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg
Screenshot_20210510_071717_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg

For the USB volume knob (mine controls the hardware volume on DAC)

Make sure that triggerhappy is installed and edit..
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/triggerhappy.service
And set the user in there to pi

My specific volume control settings move the volume up at a rate of 1x and down at 2x and my mute setting only reduces the volume to a quiet level, rather than fully muting. Create the file and edit..
pi@MANDY:/ $ cat /etc/triggerhappy/triggers.d/audio.conf
# /etc/triggerhappy/triggers.d/audio.conf
# Change mixer volume when pressing the appropriate keys (or holding them)
KEY_VOLUMEUP 0 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 1%+
KEY_VOLUMEUP 1 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 1%+
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN 0 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 2%-
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN 1 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 2%-
#KEY_MUTE 0 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 30%
KEY_MUTE 1 /usr/bin/amixer set Digital 50%

You will have to play with the settings for your own liking

Last edited: