Need Help - PC to Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

I have a decent 2 channel stereo that has no sand in it... All tubes.
I want to be able to play music from my computer (stored files or streaming) through the 2 channel system.

The distance is a bit far for an RCA mini to dual RCA cable run plus it would have to run across the ground past the entry door.

I do have network access at both the PC and the 2 channel rig.

What are people using to stream or send music from their PCs to their amps these days.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm an old school analog guy.

Thoughts?

I have used a 5GHz video transmitter & Bluetooth with success.
I was even able to send digital SPDIF via the Yellow Composite video RCA.
Modern way would be a Raspberry PI (headless or not) player near the stereo connected to the computer's music server or NAS via WIFI.

Check Volumio, Moode, Picoreplayer distributions and so on.
You can use the phone as remote.

So with the above devices I'm assuming I can set up a receiver to interface with my home network and play audio content on my stereo...

What is the raspberry pi device they mention?

Is there a stand alone system I can buy that interfaces with my NAS music and other online streaming sites (pandora, spotify etc), controlled by my cell phone or office PC that feeds the stereo?

Thanks, I'm a newby...

A Raspberry Pi is just a micro-sized computer, about the same size as a deck of cards.

You don’t mention how computer savvy you are, or if you've done this before so I'll just start with the basics.

There are 2 things you need - 'server' software and 'player' software, and hardware to run each.
These 'server' software applications have a built-in web site interface to control them.

As mentioned, these are also controllable via a portable device - smart phone, tablet, laptop, or some people integrate a touch screen devices.
I myself dumpster dived an old All-In-One PC that had a touch screen, cleaned it up and hung it on the wall like its a big mobile phone.

The idea behind all of this is you are not sending the analog audio signal over a great distance, but streaming the digital signal over Ethernet (wired) or Wi-Fi (wireless) directly connection to the player device - even one located in another country.
It can then be output to a separate D/A converter, or one that is built-in to the 'player' device and out through an analog output jack - 1/8", 1/4", RCA, Balanced, etc.

Additionally, you can have multiple players all playing different music at the same time - perhaps in different rooms - or a sub-group of them all playing the same music and synchronized to each other.

There are many great ecosystems of server and player software, some of which were already mentioned.
I personally use Logitech Media Server which is integrated into Daphile.

The 'Server'
Basically there are two types of music server software.
One that completely replaces the entire Operating System (Windows, Linux, macOS) with its own.

Others are applications you install on the OS of your choice.
Since it sounds like you already have a computer with music on it, I'd recommend the later just to test things out.

The 'Player':
Once again any computer will do, along with many different hardware devices.
For instance, I've used a Raspberry Pi, a laptop, Amazon tablets, an old iPhone, Chromebooks, and more to act as a 'player' devices.

For any of this hardware, a piece of 'player' software or 'app' must be installed and running.

NOTE 1:
In many instances, mobile devices can act as both a 'controller' and a 'player'.
I personally use an old iPhone 6s so I can control my music, but also have it act as a 'player' and plug in wired headphones.

NOTE 2:
A PC can act as both a 'server' and a 'player'.
I'm not aware of a portable device (iPhone/iPad) that has software available to do this - yet.

NOTE 3:
In the case of Sonos, Roon, Logitech Media Server, and more - these all have their own hardware devices which you can also buy.

Mark,

Thanks for the detailed information.

A bit of background..

In the man cave/home office I have a Windows based PC and a NAS. The NAS is there to keep things backed up and to allow access on other devices in the home. It runs FreeNAS.

Also in this room is my big 2 channel stereo and my guitar setup. When I play guitar I like to jam along with tracks played from the 2 channel rig, as it is loud and clear. The PC speakers just don't do it when I play guitar.

So, it sounds like I simply need the "Player" at the 2 channel rig attached to the network. From this I can pull from the NAS, and stream from the web, all controlled by my Office PC/iPhone/iPad etc.

Given the stereo is a HiFi rig capable of reproducing audio at high quality, I would assume I want a "player" that is relatively high quality with multiple outputs RCA/balanced/digital should I want to use my tube DAC.

Does such a player exist, and if so, can you point me in the direction so I can research?

Again, I appreciate the help.

Bryan

When you say that it's a bit too far for a mini-to-RCA cable, how far is that? I've got a 10 foot cable from my PC's sound card to my receiver, and it's just fine. Even 15 feet shouldn't be a problem, at least if you use a good quality cable.

Your computer should have an audio output jack. Your amp/preamp/whatever has multiple "line level" inputs. Pick one and plug in. Problem solved. (Unless you're in the >20 feet range.)

:)

I'm looking at a 20'+ run from what would be mini to RCA. I don't have a dedicated soundcard, and the MB only outputs RCA mini...

I would have to run the wires through the wall, over the ceiling and down another wall unless I wanted the cord getting stepped on every time someone walks into the room.

I don't want the kids tripping and/or ripping wires.

I may try a 30' cable for ***** and giggles, but thought investing in something more robust may be good.

Ideally, I could pull a digital signal and run it through my DAC at the stereo, but RCA will also work fine...

I'm not sure if my current amp has balanced inputs.
I've changed it around a few times and the 2 channel system was down for a few years while the kids were young (hot tubes and kids fingers...).

I do love my audionote Dac Kit 1.2. I would love to find a solution to output digital from a local device through this dac and into the stereo.

Unfortunately the DAC lives close to the stereo and too far from the PC.

I'm leaning toward using a network based solution, as I want to learn and may implement additional hubs in the future...

So, in an ideal world I would have a player that can output both digital and analog signals at the power amp/dac and be controllable by the PC and/or iphone.

Does anyone care to help educate me on the options and implementations?

Thanks guys!

Bryan

A simple experiment You can try before spending money.

Put a laptop or a computer near the stereo.
Install the free Logitech Media Server and configure the music source & let it rebuild the library. Start with a few albums library for a start.
Install Squezelite player on another or same computer & Squeezer (controller) on Your Android Phone. There is a paid squeeze player app also, but You can get the apk for free also, if You want to play on the stereo & Phone / tablet & Cinch, or use a DLNA player since the server offers that option.

You'll get the picture...

All small sized computer distributions mentioned before are based on Linux, so it's a good time to start learning Linux.
LMS works in Windows, OSX & Linux.

My server runs on a RPI4 8GB via WIFI connected to a NAS and takes a whole night to rebuild my 22000 album library. I believe using network cable or a computer based server is a lot faster.

If you are streaming CD quality files (16 bit / 44.1) a sonos system would fit your needs quite well. You can pick them up used on ebay in addition to the sonos web site.
The other option is an inexpensive stand alone file player. I have two, one is 49 bucks from china and will play any format from MP3 to to 24/96 off an SD card or a USB stick. The other is the DV20, about 200 bucks and it will play all resolutions up to 24/192.
@Maaco brings up a really good point. Before you pop out your visa card and start ordering, just try temporarily placing a lap top next to your rig and see what you think.
There are all sorts of open source file players you can down load to run on your lap top too.

There is the scream project that is a windows audio driver which sends audio as udp packets over a network which can then be received by other devices on the network: GitHub - duncanthrax/scream: Virtual network sound card for Microsoft Windows
Setting up a linux PC as a receiver does require some knowledge about linux. Also there is no clock sync so there is occasional stutter as resynchronisation occurs.

I use this myself to stream audio from windows to a linux PC with an Asus Essence STX II 7.1 card, I only use windows for gaming so the occasional stutter doesn't bother me that much.

Tried Scream minutes ago from my main computer to my bedroom laptop and I could hear only distortion. Now it doesn't work anymore even after a reboot.
Audio network protocols don't like WIFI. Will test with cable plugged in on the laptop. VBAN works better although with some dropouts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.