High quality Dante multi way system for DIYers

Yeah, the DIY world doesn't like proprietary stuff like Dante.
I already have 2 of the Monisms modules but I'd rather build something on top of Ravenna which has DSD256 support - only one option for those and it requires an upfront investment at this time.
My main issue with most modules is the lack of volume and mute control - I've had to implement mute logic for some of my devices to prevent pops on startup and clock changes.

My only interest is high quality audio.
If that can be achieved by attaching some wires to my dac, than what should ceep me
from doing it?
Using a computer with the possibilities to do room correction and add digital crossovers
is the iceing on the cake.
I am not aware of any other pice of gear that reconstucts, reclocks, buffers or whatever you call it the zeros and ones better that this technology. A fifo with all the best parts
and clocks can not compete. My Pi with all its add ons has been b/eaten by a $120
device that can only do 96khz. This is prior to using the digital crossover possibilities.
You simply can't do this with a Pi without adding another gizmo that will destroy the prior clean up efforts of the signal to some extend.

Until Ravenna hardware will get affortable for the avarage joe, this is IMO the way to go
if high quality audio is the goal.
There are audio devices out there that will of course be a tad better but they are way over
my budget.

In the spirit of Diy, is there a difference between using a certain dac chip and designing an output stage for it or getting Audinate hardware and using it the way I did?

Most RedNet users out there are not even aware of the fact that they are waisting much
of the potential of there overpriced toy.
They hook up an SpDif/EBU cable send the bits to there Dac, connect a pricey crossover and are very happy with the result. Rightfully so, because as a transport it's still better than 99.9 percent of the stuff available out there.
The true potential is only extracted by using the available chanels for our speakers because
each one of those chanels are perfectly reclockt right before our dacs.
No cable mess no additional boxes to performe miracles on degraded signals, no passive
caps and coils that cost a fortune if one wants to extract the last bit out of his speakers.
I don't even need a coupling cap.
The AK4495 has differential outs with zero offset and those cheap and excellent sounding
TPA325X boards are designed to take a differential signal.
If one shows me an approach (regardless of price) that can beat this I am all ears!

Greets, Klaus

Last edited:
I don't know of any perfect indoor enviroment for High Fidelity music reproduction.
I guess A tent would be the only enviroment that comes to my mind where DRC makes
little sense.
Most people don't know what room correction can do until they heard it implemented right.
Same is true for getting the bits out of a computer.
As long as we hear differences when transfering bit perfect audio by tweaking hardware and software we can be shure that the reclocking and galvanic isolation is poor.
Audinate did something very right because with their hardware I hear so little difference
by tweaking various aspects of my PC that I am not tempted to go any further with it.
My SD-Player, Pi, modified Singxer and all my other digital sources are not playing on the same level.
I am not saying that this is the ultimate approach. All I try to comunicate is that, for us
Diy buffs it has never been easier and cheaper to achieve such a high level of music reproduction in our homes.
The bonus of being able to mix any speaker, compression driver, horn you have
laying around, makes this whole deal even more interesting.
In one evening you can try out 10 different crossover sheems.
Shure you can do this with a Behringer DCX or the likes.
You gain lets say 20 points by the better crossover sheeme and loose 10 of those points
again by the added jitter.
But as you convey if one is content with his system then there is no point in trying
somthing else.

it requires some glue-logic to function, even as described, unless you have specific NOS AKM dacs, setup in EXDF mode.

The AKM chips wont be available through regular channels for some time, due to the fire at the FAB in Japan, so you have to take your chances on ebay, or other—often nefarious—channels. the AKM audio portfolio back in 2022-23 IIRC.

There are several competing Dante-like interfaces, all very much proprietary. A quick look at the dante and other IP audio DSP embedded, leads you fairly quickly down a rabbit hole, with prohibitive cost of entry, or at a minimum a MOQ before any useful technical information is available. Sounds great on the packet, but no recipe and hard to get the ingredients. In other words, nothing changed ... Also, i'm not convinced of its superiority to a properly implemented USB solution, with localized reclocking at the DAC and and everything else slaved to that.

I spend about €220 for my current Dante implementation including Software.
This system is notably better than my modyfied Stingxer F1 and the Raspberry PI with all it's addons. If you want to bring any USB implementation to this level if even possible you got to spend multiple times as much.
I used to have a top Thorens turntable feeding a Accuphase E303 driving all sorts of Speakers in a treated room.
The Sound I enyoy right now is flat out better.
I used to think that musical bliss can only be achived by going all analoge but I was wrong.