What the weakest link? Better to upgrade my receiver / or the source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz SR7002 receiver that I connect via HDMI to my laptop which runs Tidal in "Exclusive mode". I am just wondering what people think would be the 'weak link' in my setup (I have high sensitivity DIY speakers set up very well that image wonderfully and the room optimized as best as I can, and thus working my way back up the chain).

Do people think that going to separates would be the biggest upgrade... and if so, getting a better and dedicated DAC, or a better and dedicated amp first?

Is running Tidal in Exclusive mode via HDMI the best way to optimize the computer side of things?

My main goal is to further optimize 2 channel listening.

Interested in anyone's thoughts / suggestions.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes. The receiver is the DAC in your case. It is only ones and zeroes flowing over the HDMI cable.

Therefore, if you choose to go with a new amp, then you will also need to buy a separate DAC (unless you get another receiver or amp with an integrated DAC, which seems counter to what you want to do).

If you choose to try a new DAC first, you can simply plug the analog outputs of the new DAC into the existing receiver and try it out. You may or may not be able to tell the difference. :)

My main goal is to further optimize 2 channel listening.

If your happy with the speakers, the pc ‘should’ be just a source so a dac/amp to replace the marantz seems like the path. I’m in the ‘any decent dac’ll do ya’ crowd, in your case a usb dac. Upgrading your amp is usually either a hair splitting disappointment or a revelation, I would look at Nelson Pass designs or tubes, either way matching the right amp with your speakers is most important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.