RPi "compatible" Media Player for Hi-Res audio as well as video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes it can. Some can do it very good and some can do it less good :) Single disk = high risk, whether you have 2 single disks or not. If your data is very precious you may want to store the second single disk at a different place than your home and update it when necessary once in a while.

For some reason I get the impression that you ask things you already know :D

Last edited:
Yes it can. Some can do it very good and some can do it less good :) Single disk = high risk, whether you have 2 single disks or not.

For some reason I get the impression that you ask things you already know :D

I use the La Cie STHA6000800 Hard disk as it has a separate power supply (see link). d2 Desktop Drives | LaCie US

There is a LOT I don't know. A LOT. But I am not afraid to ask stupid questions, even at the risk of being laughed at and ridiculed.

These look so sexy.
N20 | Aurender - The Future of Sound
Products - AURALIC

I am hardening to the view that I would either have to have a 3 box solution or a 2 box solution where the audio box has a DAC built-in.

Given my limited computer audio skills, what would be the best option? I don't want to be experimenting as detailed in the thread below. I don't have the skills to do this.
using a Raspberry Pi 4 as a USB DSP-DAC

Something like this but with a better regulated linear power supply might be easier to implement
RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker Audio-GD Compatible - Audiophonics

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...i2s-hdmi-audio-gd-compatible-iis-p-12030.html

Is there any kit based DIY DAC using dual ES9038Pro DACs? I found these links. One has a dual 9038Q2M kit and the other a single 9038Pro board only.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...nced-streamer-for-raspberry-pi-4-p-14639.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...xlr-32bit-384khz-dsd-with-screen-p-12705.html

Thanks.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes a separate DAC will never perform as well as an internal DAC with very short I2S lines. So if one pursues best quality a single audio box of the brand you mention is a very good solution. I have such devices and they perform very good, way better than the average RPI contraption. Better looking as well and cheaper too. RPI is simply not an audio device but it is chosen because of low price and very good support which is indeed positive. Still it is not the best for audio. Please make a calculation what the RPI contraption costs when all its imperfections are polished. You end up with an impractical expensive box that has no real advantage against a good quality single box that has good clocks and a good DAC with good internal regulators. Designed for the task so to speak.

Again, a single disk by whatever manufacturer is waiting for an accident to happen. You car has a single engine. What happens if the engine fails?

You misread my post: I said that it seems you ask things you already know. There is a LOT I don't know as well, just like you.

Last edited:
Running a rpi4 (8gb) in my living room now. After many trials and errors I finally got xbian (kodi based) video player running side by side with latest version of Squeezelite just fine.
Using a topping dx7s as usb dac. It plays actually quite nice.

Awesome. Topping and SMSL make nice ES9038Pro and AK4499 DACs. I was considering the D90 before I saw the Gustard X16 as it fit my budget better. The X16 is still not available but my proposed media player is also stuck in the ideation stage. ;)

I doubt AKM based DACs will be available for a while so that leaves only ESS as an option for the budget-conscious.

Yes a separate DAC will never perform as well as an internal DAC with very short I2S lines. So if one pursues the best quality a single audio box of the brand you mention is a very good solution.

I have such devices and they perform very good, way better than the average RPI contraption.

Please make a calculation of what the RPI contraption costs when all its imperfections are polished.

Again, a single disk by whatever manufacturer is waiting for an accident to happen. Your car has a single-engine. What happens if the engine fails?

You misread my post: I said that it seems you ask things you already know. There is a LOT I don't know as well, just like you.

Superb. Thank you.

Which brand are we talking about? I am confused. I linked to several brands in my last post.

My budget was $1200 for a DAC and Media player. So maybe $500-700 for the media player and a similar $500-600 budget for a DAC. The advantage of an external IIS capable DAC is that it's USB, TosLink, and CoAx inputs could be used for other devices such as a laptop, gaming machine and CD player.

The machine linked below fits the bill but I am told the 9038Q2M DAC (which was designed for mobile use) has some sonic limitations (solved by Ben Du in his Soncoz SGD1). Also, it uses an RPi4 as it's media player.
AUDIOPHONICS EVO-SABRE DAC Kit DIY DAC 2xES9038Q2M Fully Balanced & Streamer for Raspberry Pi 4 - Audiophonics

Similarly, both the other options I had linked to earlier also use an RPi4 as their source.
RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker Audio-GD Compatible - Audiophonics
RASPTOUCH LVDS Streamer I2S HDMI Audio-GD Compatible IIS - Audiophonics

The Auralic and Aurender products are all very expensive ($3000+).
Aurender-Audio Advisor
Products - AURALIC

Even the Quang-hao Music Server II is expensive ($1600).
https://quanghao.com/es9038-music-server-ii-pd111237.html?lang=en
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DACES9038PRO/Manual Kit ES9038PRO DAC+ Controle.pdf

That leaves the Matrix Mini Pro 3 which also uses the 9038Q2M cip set (just like the AudioPhonics EVO-SABRE kit)
https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

and the Eweat R11 Pro which uses the 9038Pro chipset
http://www.eweat.com/products-item/4k-ultra-hd-audiophile-media-player/
and is available for under $1000 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/R11-Blu-ray-Theater-Player-Digital/dp/B087BVLQ5H

If I ask questions is usually because I really do NOT know and sometimes because I am not really sure. I am happy to answer questions in the areas that I have some knowledge but this forum is so special that there is always someone who is better versed than I am in almost anything audio.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have bought several used Auralic Aries Mini devices for way less than the polished RPI contraptions. They are very good and to be honest I am not that interested in the few % possible better sound quality of the other expensive types. A long time ago I learnt to be satisfied and just listen to music. Like many I also fell in the trap of listening to equipments faults which does not lead to satisfaction.

Good luck with making a choice. Remember that simplicity in operation is a very big plus.

Last edited:
How many of the devices listed will, in a few years, have a fully updated system working well with latest-versions of online music APIs, supporting the latest not-blocked SSL encryption methods, accepting future certification autorities root certificates, etc?

There are already e.g. android 6 devices, how long will these be able to communicate with services which must keep upgrading their SSL encryption layer and certificates? Plus the APIs change all the time, new services arise, ...

Are you planning on that in a few years?

My point is - the HW will work OK for LONG, while the software will have to be constantly updated to keep up with the partnering sides. Therefore I try to choose an option with a viable long-term software support. My personal-only choice though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Not planning but one does never know is it? I think the same like you. However, developments are going so fast and devices are throw away already for many years so it is not a real issue unless it is abandoned very prematurely like Olive One. When you think you got it all covered with an RPI 4 and OS version X.... you will discover it not being supported anymore when RPI 6 is there.... All is avoided with devices with knobs and displays but then I think of NAD M10 etc. and those are .... expensive.

My assumption after so many years is that FLAC won't be replaced anytime soon. The hardware and firmware will continue to work and play files without a hitch. Only when internet connection and remote control by cell phone are required the rat race starts. This is what is liked by many ;) Possibilities, features etc. so then updates, security, certificates etc etc.

You see, the rat race is helped by the use of a tablet/cell phone (to control devices) that gets updates and new OSes now and then. My infrared remote controls always worked :D

Last edited:
I mostly mean the online music services which have to react to broken SSL encryption schemes (MD5, SHA1, etc.), expired certs (the Let's Encrypt new root cert incompatibility, fortunately postponed by a few years now) etc.

IMO if online services are used, the (expensive) hw should be as dumb as possible, and the controller running software simple and upgradable or replaceable (i.e. inexpensive). If only local (network) access is used, no problem, the SMB protocol has seen one major incompatibility in two decades and SMB1 support can still be installed manually.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Since online music is a can of (commercial) worms and makes matters even more complex and qualitative not any % better I tend to avoid this as much as possible and playback local files from local SSD. Dependency on online/internet is not a plus IMO.

Anything online with accompanied convenience is mostly meant to earn my money.

Last edited:
Remember that simplicity in operation is a very big plus.

I agree 100%. I am too old and senile to look for more complicated solutions.

I don't need an amplifier but I would like the DAC section of the streamer to have USB, Toslink and CoAx (SPDIF) inputs.

How is the Dune HD Ultra 4k?
Dune HD model line-up - YouTube

Or the DACs in the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 or 851N? (they both have USB, TosLink and CoAx in). I confused why Cambridge Audio has 2 so similar products. Any idea?
CXN (V2) - Network Audio Streamer | Cambridge Audio
Azur 851N - Network Player | Cambridge Audio

The NAD and Arcam are more expensive (about as expensive as the Quang-hao Music Server II linked to earlier). What do they offer over the 2 Cambridge Streamers? I am not attached to Blu OS. C 658 - NAD Electronics
Arcam - ST60 - Streamer

I do not have the budget for $3000-5000 devices like the Aurender, Auralic, Naim NDX2,

The Naim ND5 XS2, for example, sells for $2000+ and does not even have a screen. https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nd5-xs-2

I wonder who can afford $6000 for the Cocktail Audio X45Pro
https://www.cocktailaudio.com/home/sub01_09.php

Therefore I try to choose an option with viable long-term software support. My personal-only choice though.

Which option is this?

I think of NAD M10 etc. and those are .... expensive

What's the cheapest option for a streamer/player/server that offers a good DAC and has SPDIF (TosLink and CoAx) and USB inputs for the DAC?

IMO if online services are used, the (expensive) hw should be as dumb as possible, and the controller running software simple and upgradable or replaceable (i.e. inexpensive).

True.

I tend to avoid this as much as possible and playback local files from local SSD. Dependency on online/internet is not a plus IMO.

Online has its use. I too prefer to rely on my own music collection but the option of having online means one can discover new music faster and easier.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Too many details but you asked an opinion well... An FDA and a Volumio audio device with USB port for your harddisk and you are there for a fraction of the price and it will run from the moment you plug them in. No DAC (which can be a good thing), not too many boxes. Short digital signal path, good sound, no cable salad, easy to operate and works OK with the stuff you already have. Why spend much to get less ?

Still: make a backup of the stuff before it is lost.

Last edited:
I still think Kodi based RPi is the bang of the buck, although the OP thinks it's too complicated. Well, it may be not as complicated as you think.

All you need is a RPi, a DAC hat, and LibreELEC (OSMC still has some bluetooth problem).

You have way too many CD and DVD albums for Kodi to handle, so don't scrap them into library. It may take hours or even days to do that. Just use Kodi's file view, something like Windows File Manager and play your albums from there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What is an FDA and what do you mean by a "Volume Audio device"?

Is the Volume Audio device a preamp?

A Volumio (operating system for audio) device with a few USB ports and a full digital amplifier or FDA. If FDA make sure it has enough Toslink/coax inputs for TV, video player etc. as it will greatly enhance user experience. I use several setups and this setup is in use everyday as it is most user friendly. Looks good, sounds good, no excess cables, high price quality ratio, easy operation, no problem with large libraries, no add on cards in any form necessary. Just plug in your disk and press play. I used a separate but similar setup for video with a modified Wetek Hub as mentioned as I see too many differences to combine the 2. The 70 x 70 mm (!!) Hub costs nothing, I pay less for a powerhouse Hub than for an RPI, and it plays H265/X265 with ease contrary to RPI and no one wants them because of the slow android and lack of support. Coreelec still supports the device and then Android can be removed completely. Both connect to the FDA which thankfully has a volume knob and a IR remote control. Nothing beats that way of operating stuff IMO but I am sure many will want to operate the amplifier with an app...

The whole problem is that it works so OK that one forgets about it and just uses it. Very few to no issues so boring but liked by family members. To still be able to fiddle with DIY one can build linear PSU's for both devices.

For video the HiMedia Q10 Pro is a nice option too. It can have the hard disk inside so tidy.

Last edited:
I tried Kodi on a Xiaomi Android box (and a Pi) and it convinced me to dust off an old WDTV Live Plus media player instead. (The "Live Plus" improves on the Live by adding support for EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), but has the same simple user interface.) I use it to play media from USB drives; the built-in internet players are probably obsolete by now. (I tried the newer "Live Streaming" version, but the UI was pretty but not as functional, so I'd recommend sticking with the Live or Live Plus versions.)

A Volumio (operating system for audio) device with a few USB ports and a full digital amplifier or FDA. If FDA make sure it has enough Toslink/coax inputs for TV, video player etc. as it will greatly enhance user experience. I use several setups and this setup is in use everyday as it is most user friendly. Looks good, sounds good, no excess cables, high price quality ratio, easy operation, no problem with large libraries, no add on cards in any form necessary. Just plug in your disk and press play. I used a separate but similar setup for video with a modified Wetek Hub as mentioned as I see too many differences to combine the 2. The 70 x 70 mm (!!) Hub costs nothing, I pay less for a powerhouse Hub than for an RPI, and it plays H265/X265 with ease contrary to RPI and no one wants them because of the slow android and lack of support. Coreelec still supports the device and then Android can be removed completely. Both connect to the FDA which thankfully has a volume knob and a IR remote control. Nothing beats that way of operating stuff IMO but I am sure many will want to operate the amplifier with an app...

The whole problem is that it works so OK that one forgets about it and just uses it. Very few to no issues so boring but liked by family members. To still be able to fiddle with DIY one can build linear PSU's for both devices.

For video the HiMedia Q10 Pro is a nice option too. It can have the hard disk inside so tidy.

Is this the Volumio you refer to? It costs $500 for an RPi with a 9038Q2M DAC? Volumio - Primo * Volumio So you used this for FLAC and Tidal?

And you recommended this for video?
http://www.himediatech.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=32&Id=121&Fid=t3:32:3

Is this the Wetek Hub you refer to?
Wetek Hub Android TV Media Player Review | AVForums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.