Software to record 5.1 SACD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Here You can find several multi-channel high resolution tracks.
One of them is a 6 min 1Gb file.
They play fine on VLC or Foobar2000 with the needed plugins.

I would rip them first with a ripping software if the discs are recognized on a computer like DVD audio is. Then I would convert it to multichannel lossless flac.
AC3 or DTS are lossy formats.

yes, unfortunately ripping is not an option and even if I did it with a hacked PS3 I'm guessing I would still end up with DSD?
This method will hopefully work now that I know what order to put the tracks in but I'll just end up with one long track for the whole album!

ripping is not an option and even if I did it with a hacked PS3 I'm guessing I would still end up with DSD?
Yes. The first stage of the rip yields an ISO file which is a bit-for-bit copy of all data on the SACD. The second stage is to extract the individual DSD tracks from the ISO, encapsulated either as .dff files or .dsf files (I recommend .dsf, because tagging is better supported). And at this point you can choose to extract either the stereo tracks, or the multi-channel tracks, or both.
If you have suitable hardware to play .dsf files, there's no need to go any further, but in your case you want PCM files, so what's needed is software to convert the .dsf's to PCM - the options are Weiss Saracon DSD (very expensive) or Korg AudioGate, which is free, but apparently you need a Twitter account to enable its export/convert function.

Last edited:
Regarding DSD-to-PCM conversion, I now recall that foobar2000 is also an option, once the foo_input_sacd component is installed.
I just tested it now - I extracted a multi-channel .dsf file from one of my SACD ISO's, then opened this file in foobar2000, then exported it as a 24bit 88.2khz 6-channel FLAC file.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.