Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

remote mute/unmute of ecasound
remote mute/unmute of ecasound
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2020, 09:20 PM   #1
DrNeon is offline DrNeon
diyAudio Member

Default remote mute/unmute of ecasound

I'm trying to get ecasound running as a multitrack player that allows me to selectively mute/unmute tracks remotely while it is playing. I've got it pretty close to working, but am stuck on one issue. Right now, I am able to get ecasound to start playing two mono tracks (sent equally to both L and R speakers), via

Code:
ecasound -a:1 -i track1.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50 -a:2  -i track2.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50  -a:all  -o:alsahw,2,0  --server

which starts both tracks playing immediately, and then, in a second process, selectively mute or unmute one of the two tracks (chains?) via

Code:
echo -e "c-select 1\r\nc-mute on\r\n" | nc -w1 localhost 2868

(this will mute chain 1, i.e. track 1, I can choose the track via the c-select command and the mute state via nc-mute)

The problem I'm running into is that I'd like to start ecasound with all tracks muted, but playing, and only then start remotely unmuting selected tracks. I've tried adding -chmute:1 after -a:1 when starting ecasound for example,

Code:
ecasound -a:1 -chmute:1 -i track1.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50 -a:2  -i track2.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50  -a:all  -o:alsahw,2,0  --server

and this will mute track 1, but I cannot unmute it via the remote process; it remains muted (note that the same remote unmute command will work if I start ecasound without any chmute and then mute track 1 remotely). So somehow -chmute is muting tracks in such a way that I cannot remotely unmute them. Any ideas? I don't want to start ecasound with everything unmuted and then remotely mute all; the remote interface latency is too slow.
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:18 PM   #2
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

There seems to be a -E option that should allow you to call the commands to mute all channels before playback starts.
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:31 PM   #3
DrNeon is offline DrNeon
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that seems to be working!
Command line is now:

ecasound -a:1 -i track1.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50 -a:2 -i track2.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50 -a:all -o:alsahw,2,0 --server -E "c-select 1; c-mute on; c-select 2; c-mute on"

and my remote process is able to mute/unmute individual channels
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:36 PM   #4
DrNeon is offline DrNeon
diyAudio Member

As a follow-up to anyone interested, the remote muting/unmuting process seemed a little bit slow, but when I added "-b 64" to the ecasound command line to make the buffer smaller, the response to the remote process was much quicker.
  Reply to this post

remote mute/unmute of ecasoundHide this!Advertise here!