Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

OT - Laptop Trackpad - Arrggh!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2020, 09:55 PM   #1
jjasniew is online now jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Default OT - Laptop Trackpad - Arrggh!

Why do they have to make the trackpad on modern laptops have a bazillion functions when x-y is all I really want? The buttons seem to be integrated with the pad surface; I cant click left-mouse / right mouse w/o the pointer moving OFF what I'm trying to click on.

And then I somehow enter into this "single finger screen zoom" mode - something that if it never happens again, I'd be more than delighted! I cant even figure out how I make it do this - much less how to turn it off - forever. Seems like it just does it at random...

This seems to be a standard feature of two laptops I've owned over the last few years. On the latest Dell Latitude 3570, I can mitigate some of it's ridiculous over sensitivity using Windows controls. But if I boot Linux from a USB, the "standard configuration" is back to crazy making "lets cram 10 different functions into 2 buttons and a 12 sq in surface - and make the pad so sensitive you can move the pointer around with just your willpower".

I want X / Y track - as in pad. Left Mouse - without any pointer movement influence. Right Mouse - without any pointer movement. Period. I cant even input the "/" above - as a correction - without somehow "accidently" highlighting the entire paragraph above it!

If anyone knows how to do this via OS or Bios settings I'd be much appreciative! Thanks so much - (I have a BT mouse...as one fix which really is just a desktop fix)

Last edited by jjasniew; 11th October 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11th October 2020, 10:17 PM   #2
bucks bunny is offline bucks bunny  Germany
diyAudio Member

Using linux mint lmde and lenovo x240 the first thing I do is disable trackpad. No rocket science at all.
Old 11th October 2020, 11:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hunting around, it looks like I have no ground with this particular laptop -

- Dell doesnt have a 64 bit driver, only 32. Installs successfully, does nothing - app doesnt exist after install

- Tried to install synaptics driver, only gives message "You dont need to install this driver"...Thanks, synaptics.

- Looked at a procedure, supposed to be Dell touchpad in "Device Manager" - nothing there, so no path to update.

Guess I'll just scratch up the area next to the pad with the mouse I bought. Sheesh - what a fighter... Someone worked really hard to make sure you cant do anything about it.
Old 11th October 2020, 11:59 PM   #4
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Have You tried Elan or Alps touchpad drivers ?
Old 12th October 2020, 04:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I tried an ALPS driver, but it didnt install. I'm pretty sure it's a synaptics, even though there's no mention of the name anywhere - in bios nor in device manager. It surprises me that there can be hardware components in one of these things that are unidentifiable by the OS - and user...

Who knows what they were thinking when they built this - probably "get it out the door, ASAP!" "Trackpad driver? You kidding me? We'll let MS handle that with their 2006 version - and I dont want to hear another word about it through the duration of this project. Just hide the #$%^ thing as best you can!"

Anyway - my fault - I'd assumed that the state of such periphery would have improved between a 2nd gen Intel based system and a 6th gen. It just got slightly worse from my perspective - active pad area under buttons. I've read where others have complained about this aspect too - Oh Well...
Old 13th October 2020, 09:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Device manager
Right click device
Details
Hardware Id
Put on Google.

What gives ?

Example for my network card.

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_859E1043&REV_11\01000 000684CE00000

or You could try one of those driver finder programs..
Old 13th October 2020, 10:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Under HID compliant touchpad (the only mention of touchpad I get in device manager) I get HID\VEN_DLL&DEV_06F3&Col02

Googling, I get "Showing results for HID\VEN_DLL DEV_06F3 Col02 No results found for HID\VEN_DLL&DEV_06F3&Col02 It looks like there aren't any great matches for your search"

As Elvis once said "Return to Sender...Address Unknown...No such number...No such zone" ;')
Old 13th October 2020, 10:38 PM   #8
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I share your frustration. I have a Dell where some Windoze 10 update killed the left and right clicks of the track pad. I went to all those places that you did, with similar results. How does Windoze even drive the thing??
Old 13th October 2020, 11:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

On an old PC long ago I run one of these utilities. Don't remember... perhaps Driverguide ...and it found the missing driver. Give them a try.

11 Best Free Driver Updater Tools (October 2020)
Old 14th October 2020, 12:23 AM   #10
grimberg is offline grimberg  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Toshiba laptop which has a pad. I love that machine but never liked the pad because of its erratic behavior. As I never really use it on my lap but rather on a desk at different client sites, I purchased one of these and carry it in the computer bag all the time.

Logitech M570 Laser Wireless Trackball 910-001799 B&H Photo Video

For those who don't like the stationary mouse, or even Logitech products, there are other manufacturers offering different models of wireless mouse.
  Reply to this post

OT - Laptop Trackpad - Arrggh!Hide this!Advertise here!