NAS + Streamer

I have several external USB hard drives with audio and video. I'd like to make NAS and connect them to that NAS so that the drives would be visible on my home network.

Is it also possible to combine NAS and Streamer functionality? Is it really required to use a dedicated OS (e.g. OpenMediaVault) or it's possible to make NAS without it using just the regular OS (e.g. Raspberry Pi OS)?

For the hardware I think to use:

• Raspberry Pi 4
  • Powered USB Hub to connect external hard drives
  • Relay board to switch on/off external hard drives
  • Small touchscreen if the system will have the Streamer
Hopefully the system will look something like this:

Attachments

• nas.png
    nas.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 730
DRONE7, thank you for reply. I'd like to use the hard drives as is without removing them from the enclosures so that I could easily move those hard drives around.

I think the maximum number of users for the NAS/Streamer will be 3. I'm not sure if Pi 4 is capable to handle 3 SD video streams. I should probably try several options suggested here for the media server:
7 Ways to Set Up Your Raspberry Pi as a Media Server | MakeUseOf
All hard drives are in NTFS format and I don't want to re-format. Hopefully I can also use them as is.

Last edited:
phofman, they are just regular external hard drives. The regular usage will be when only 1 maximum 3 (3 users using different disks) of them will be spinning. Hopefully that's not so noisy.

Is there any principal difference in NAS and Streamer functionality? In case of Streamer several users can connect and watch/listen the same file. Is it less overhead than if the same users will just pull the same file from the NAS? I'm still trying to understand if I really need the Streamer functionality?

I would not want a rotating 3.5" drive in my listening place, seeking is audible, but YMMV.

Typically NAS serves raw files over network from its local storage, while streamer serves network audio/video streams from its local storage or internet, or feeds USB-audio directly. All are mostly linux (or BSD with ZFS for some NASes, but BSD has adopted the linux OpenZFS driver recently). A single machine can do all of that (plus lots more).

IMO the reason people use the separation are the rotating drives which should be cooled a bit for permanent operation - i.e. noise reasons. And of course commercial - different producers of NASes and streamers.

Sure, hard drives produce some noise. I would compare that noise with noise produced either by reel tape recorders or compact cassette players :) If it's too distracting then the NAS should be placed somewhere outside of the listening space something like basement.

Regarding heat, I use similar system based on WD TV player for about 10 years and never had any issue with overheating of the external hard drives even when it works the whole day.

As I said I'd like to use Pi 4 as I'm more comfortable with it. Also it's silent when it works with passive cooling. Also it doesn't need large Power Supply which usually also has a fan inside which is another source of noise.

What's the benefit of using OMV vs just sharing disks (NAS) and starting VLC in streaming mode (Streamer)?

I was in a similar predicament 3-4 tb usb drives , WD player. I built a Linux server from a mini Itx board. It crashed a couple time trashing everything. I purchased a Qnap server and it manages things pretty well, raid redundancy local backups and runs Plex server. I can even connect to it remotely. I had a I5 nuc laying about and put it into Roon service with the media on the Qnap. The Qnap used to reside in the living room and it was annoying, so I moved it in the closet with the house router.

Good luck
Bill