How would someone setup a 5.2.4 Active speaker setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am starting to dabble in a active speaker setup, using a Xonar U7 MKII for a simple active 3 way mains, 2.1 setup at my desk. I am wondering, how someone would setup a 5.2.4 setup for an active home theater?

Are there any 15, or 23 channel devices that cost less than my house? Is that what would be required?

Is there a way to use multiple Xonar U7 MKIIs without having huge timing issues?

A more realistic idea, how would someone "actively" control just a center speaker in a basic AVR setup? Or just the left, center and right?

Sorry if I am using the incorrect terms. Pretty fresh on my DIY audio adventure.

Thank you.

i think pc soundcard is limited to dolby digital / AC3 (DVD audio format) which means you can not get multi output for Bluray audio like DTS HD Master / True HD / Atmos. you will need an AVR to decode it.

your pc will be only used as a player then pass thru hdmi (if your vga card support it)

Ok so let me confirm.
(PC)---hdmi--->(AVR)---pre amp rca out-->(???)---rca--->(AMP)---wire--->(1 way of 3 way Speaker)

Where device is between the AVR and amp to have control of each way of the 3 way Speaker? I must be missing something obvious or completely off the mark here.

Thank you.

just ensure your movie content whether it's just dvd or bluray. if only dvd then you can connect from your soundcard output to your amp

btw each output - either from soundcard or AVR pre out - must be connected to 1 amp, not 1 pre out to 3 amp. it's just basic

but you can use your AVR speaker out, remember that AVR that has pre out is more expensive than a basic AVR, usuallny it's in the middle tier

example : denon avr x3500 has pre out, but x1500 and x2500 no pre out

Hadith, thank you but I may not be using the correct words to explain my issue.

I am working on a 2.1 "active" 3 way setup where both the front speakers are each a 3 way Speaker. But instead of having a traditional hardware crossover, it is completely controlled digitally, with filters and room correction.

I can fully control 2, 3 way speakers because my Xonar U7 MKii has enough outputs. (7) I can not fully control a 5.1, or 5 speakers, each being a 3 way, needing 15 outputs, for example.

Does that make sense?

E.g. Benhringer UMC1820 can do 20ch out.

But the question is if you want to take 3 analog cables (presumably balanced) to each of your speakers. IMO you could benefit from Charlie's project synchonized streaming to multiple clients/loudspeakers - RPi by each speaker with 5.1 USB soundcard, connected via ethernet or even dedicated wifi, running the xover for the given side. But it would take a substantial bit of configuring in linux.

When you say active speakers does that mean you control each driver in a 3-way speaker from your PC (or a separate 3 channel DSP) individually?

I've heard that called bi-amping, even though your speakers are tri-amped or quad amped with a four-way speaker.

2 = front left, front right
1 = subwoofer

5 = satellite speakers, including: front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right
2 = subwoofers
4 = height or rear speakers

One problem is decoding all of that before you physically separate the channels into speaker connections. I don't know how to do that and I'd like to see explanations.

It sounds like the reason you want so many channel connections is because you're running three separate wires into the back of one speaker. In that case, your crossover might be on your PC and you want to send the output to each driver in your three way speakers.

Attachments

• 440px-Active_Crossover.svg.png
    440px-Active_Crossover.svg.png
    15 KB · Views: 61
  • 440px-Tri-amping.svg.png
    440px-Tri-amping.svg.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.