Looking for some advice on small fanless PC for music server

you can get an old used small from factor (size of a fat reference book or smaller) from ebay or similar (dell, hp, lenovo or similar). Most come from air conditioned offices and they never have been pushed too hard. Get one win Windows pro so you can remote into the unit and run it headless if you want. Go to power options and underclock the machine by forcing a maximum processing at 10-20 per cent. Since all the unit does is play sound files, a office grade mid grade bobx (I3, I5 or Amd equivalent) will do fine even at that low speed. By lowering the cpu speed, you lower the heat on the CPU thus the cooling fan does not engage or runs so slow that is virtually silent. If you can get one with an external power supply, it will be even better.

1685453884083.png

Last edited:
VIA, Gigabyte and others offer fan less PCs with CPU bonded to board, some are small. Like post card size PCB.
Here some of the banks use thin clients at branches, small box about the size of a Mac Mini. Zip tied to back of monitor at times.
Tablets with big memory cards, or connected through USB to external drives, are also an option.

There are also references to 'Car PC' in some parts of the net, I am barred form Alibaba in India, those may be useful.

This is quoted $135: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1405.html

I searched for 'Taiwan fanless PC', and this was one of the results.
No ties to seller.

Last edited:
I'm experimenting a RPI4 with different OS's. No dedicated DAC hat so far and it sounds well with on my Sony 5.1 amp. No buzzing, hum or crackles like reported with former boards. The RPI4 with 8GB costs 100€ with the supply. Now I'm looking for a nice case with an LCD or Oled display. Volumio is nice & stable but no Bluetooth unless You pay. Perhaps I'll be settling on picoreplayer since there are many apps for it.

Something I've experienced is the long time for indexing my 4Gb Nas collection, perhaps a PC board would speed this up.
Look out for Vincent Fong on YouTube he has some decent RPI cases with display for audio use. 7”, 5” and I think the 8.9 wave share one also.

There's some HP desktop at the local thrift. ~$10 - It's been there over a week - no one wants it. Strangest thing; imagine a desktop tower with no option card slots. No power supply inside either. Mostly cabinet with a little square MB, a fan, rack mounted HDD. I bet that would make a fine server / streamer. I'd have it but I already have everything.

By the overall cheapness of its design, I'd guess an AMD proc. So what, for streaming / serving audio it's fine.