Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?
Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2020, 04:15 PM   #1
masterkw is offline masterkw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?

Hello,

I'm Oliver from Germany and it's my first post.

First of all please be patient if I don't succeed in getting to the point. I'm a "digital audiophile" and my perfect setting for listening music is:

[NAS] ---USB A-B---> [AMP]

Basically this works fine and is the straightest signal way from NAS (Synology DS716+II) to amp which is capable to handle digital audio files up to DSD256 (Audiolab M-One). Server app is "Synology Audio Station", transcoding disabled, bitperfect and gapless playback.

The problem: after an indefinite period of time (sometimes on from beginning) the amp looses input signal and I have to pull the USB plug once to reactivate the connection.

A solution: runeaudio on Odroid C1+ with network source ...as a kind of "technical middleware" and it keeps up connection.

Well, runeaudios library gui is quite nice and clean but DS Audio is a little more comfortable.

A solution is to activate UPNP/DLNA in runeaudio.

[NAS] ---RJ45 (DLNA)---> [runeaudio] ---USB A-B---> [amp]

Works, too. Problem: no gapless playback using Audio Station/DS Audio (iOS)

I have no idea about Linux but I've heard something about a lightweight distribution with MPD and upmpdcli - instead of runeaudio ('oversized') - could be a solution. Could it?

If everything is too complicated, I'll stick with runeaudio as a player.

———————-
edit
———————-

I just used Volumio for comparison, no improvement here either so I think it won’t work with other linux MPD solutions. Am I right? Any other ideas?

Regards,
Oliver

Last edited by masterkw; 14th September 2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14th September 2020, 07:49 PM   #2
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Synology DS716+II is a linux computer (Intel Celeron N3160) running some old kernel with lots of backported patches. Even if synology guys backported newer alsa fixes for usb-audio class 2, I doubt they did it clean and fault-free. Very likely the alsa usb-audio driver is in a very sad state compared to modern kernel. Most likely runeaudio runs a newer or better-backported kernel which fixes some bugs/suboptimal support.

Yet perhaps a peek at system logs via ssh connection to the synology box could reveal the real cause and perhaps it could be fixed externally without upgrading the kernel (which is unfeasible, AFAIU).
Old 15th September 2020, 01:16 AM   #3
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkw View Post
I've heard something about a lightweight distribution with MPD and upmpdcli - instead of runeaudio ('oversized') - could be a solution.
Yes, mpd is simple and reliable.
You could install a "standard" Linux distribution on your Odroid, then manually install and configure mpd.
But if you prefer a pre-packaged distribution for Odroid with mpd ready to go, I think Archphile would be your best option -
Archphile - Browse /odroidc2 at SourceForge.net
Old 15th September 2020, 02:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Updated link for the latest Archphile for Odroid C1/C2 -
Archphile - Browse /odroidc2/1.19-beta-corona at SourceForge.net
Old 15th September 2020, 05:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your replies.

With DSM 6.2 Synology has officially discontinued USB - DAC audio. If it still works, fine but no support. So I would go on with Odroid basically.

I‘d prefer a pre-package as well. I'll test Archohile and I'll get back to you.

The most important thing for me is a bitperfect data output. Okay, and a good operation gui.
Old 15th September 2020, 06:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The most important thing for me is a bitperfect data output.
Archphile is probably configured for bit-perfect audio. You can check the Archphile author's comments here -
Archphile - An Archlinux Based Audiophile Distribution for Raspberry Pi and Udoo Quad

And you can also check the configuration of ALSA and MPD which I explained here -
music server

Quote:
... and a good operation gui.
There are many different MPD client applications available. Some are good, some not so good.
For Android I like MPDroid
MPDroid – Apps on Google Play
and MPD Control
MPD Control – Apps on Google Play
Old 15th September 2020, 01:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've successfully installed Archphile on mSD but no "sign of life" with the C1+. I did a little browsing on Mikes blog and found out that he has dropped C1+ support in 2018 and still went on with C2.

As already said I have no idea about linux but I'm willing to try if anyone can show me "the first steps into right direction".

On odroid-wiki I found that: odroid-c1s_images:third_party [ODROID Wiki]

Which should I take and what do I have to configure for "DLNA-in - USB-audio out to amp"? (...controlled by Synology DS audio app).

BTW, I'm on macOS 10.15...keyword: ssh.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've successfully installed Archphile on mSD but no "sign of life" with the C1+. I did a little browsing on Mikes blog and found out that he has dropped C1+ support in 2018
Ah, the version of Archphile that I suggested (ver 1.19) may be too new.
So try version 0.99.73 from 2018 -
Archphile - Browse /odroidc2/0.99.73-alpha at SourceForge.net

Quote:
what do I have to configure for "DLNA-in
Forget about DLNA. MPD is more than just an endpoint/renderer, it's a full music server. So your Synology NAS will go back to its conventional purpose of just being a network fileshare. The Synology DS Audio app is no longer in use.

Quote:
USB-audio out
Linux will auto-configure a USB audio device. Just make sure that your DAC (which I understand is internal to your amp) is turned on first, before powering up the C1.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Archphile seems to be a dead end street for the moment. The last official build is 0.99.4b and I couldn't find any download link for this older version.

PS: tuxx got a pm

What can I try meanwhile? I've several mSDHC for testing purposes.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:11 PM   #10
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

I used MPD for several years before dismantling everything for a move about 2 years ago. It works well for local file playback. What seemed to be very much lacking was some kind of streaming audio support. How do I play tunes from internet radio, Pandora, Spotify, etc?

I strongly prefer not to install a dedicated distro like Volumio on any of my machines. Instead, I'm thinking of exporting the desktop or a web browser window from my "server" to a portable control client like an Android tablet since most if not all streaming audio services are web based.

Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?Hide this!Advertise here!