Best digital output card

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a Windows-based music server that feeds directly to my DAC. I learned that digital output from the motherboard produces miserable results, so I installed a Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx that has optical and coaxial output, and it's much better, especially when I select Bit Accurate Playback. That left me wondering if there is another level I can attain with a different card. I think I have a general idea why the Sound Blaster is superior to the motherboard's output, but I have no idea whether one sound card would be better than another with respect to digital output. Thoughts? Experiences?

The Sound Blaster is just fine, specially if its only spitting out digital audio, some here might think differently. The word clock might make a difference, how much is up to you but I wouldn't worry to much about it, the quality of the DAC is much more important.

The word clock might make a difference, how much is up to you but I wouldn't worry to much about it, the quality of the DAC is much more important.

I agree with you. The quality of the clocks can make a difference when you use an I2S interface and a DAC that doesn't suppress the jitter of the source, but considering that NWAudiophile is using the S/PDIF or Toslink interface, I don't think that applies here.

Pink Faun, JCat, SoTM and others make PCIe output cards in various formats (I2S, S/PDIF, USB-which I'd avoid)

perhaps you want to try Daphile, it can work from a USB stick to evaluate, sounds very good and is bitperfect. I left W for audio some years ago, never looked back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.