Best Out of the Box User Experience pi (3B) Player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've tried Moode and Volumio so far. Each has run me round the track chasing my tail a few times now; Moode works best so far - but wont show my album artwork. (I've got a thread going over at their support forum)

I had Volumio all set and working - album artwork showing - until I tried to add the graphic eq, which then killed the signal to my AMP2. Removing the graphic eq "plug in", in an attempt to go back to a previously working system resulted in the file directories for the ALSA soft volume not being found.

A flash card rebuild and start from the beginning resulted in it claiming my samba share was off line... When on the previous fresh build / startup, it found it immediately and connected perfectly with no additional input text details from me. Scratching head, I quit it at that point and went back to Moode...

Can these MicroSD card resident systems somehow store NV information on the pi itself? The Moode player "remembered" a login name I'd previously typed - even after a full sd card reflash_and_start_over. I suspect the inconsistent behavior from Volumio regarding the samba share connection between "flashes" could be related to this.

So, what's a player that "just works", when using -

- A Web page interface for volume control - and everything else
- A pi 3B
- A HifiBerry AMP2
- An active graphic or parametric EQ?
- A samba share mounted via wireless (to a Netgear R6300V2)

I'll start off by guessing ALL these players have such problems and there's no such thing. Is there something that needs to take place that would otherwise prevent, say, being able to simply swap different players in/out using different MicroSD cards?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello Joe,

in the "Life Of (Raspberry) Pi" there are lots of ways to build your streamer solution, as you already have discovered yourself. But as with all things that are "free of charge" you're basically "on your own" in case things are not working the way you think/hope they should (but with help from a lot of friends in all kinds of communities 'round the globe you can establish most of what you want :) ) I've played around with MoOde and Volumio (which are based on MPD-player) myself in the past and they work well for most configurations, but some issues need more attention, depending on your config/network/shares/etc.

One thing I have discovered myself during swapping of different images:
when you use different SD-cards (or perform a clean install) you start a new environment on the Pi itself and as far as I know no data is left behind from a previous build. But if you use DHCP for your network configuration you'll discover that your Pi generally gets the same IP-address from the DHCP-server (DHCP stores the MAC-addresses of devices, so when you start your new PI-build it will ask for an IP-address - the MAC-address is a "hardcoded" address which will not change - the DHCP-server will then provide the "old" address from the previous build). When you connect to your Samba-server with that "old" IP-address it also recognizes the old address and it will re-use cached information. This may cause mis-configuration and confusion when you try to access your files in the Samba-shares.

To avoid this it would be better to use manually configured IP-addresses - one for MoOde and another for Volumio. In this way, when you restart from one or the other, the cached information won't be used for both.

Your question about the "just works" player: I use Logitech Media server (LMS). That's because I own a Squeezebox-Touch device which can only to be used with LMS as a server. But LMS can also be used when you want to use a Pi. For me the biggest advantage of LMS is that it is a server which can be used with multiple clients (Squeezeboxes, Pi's, PC-based players, etc.) at the same time. piCoreplayer (pCP - piCorePlayer) is one client that can be used on a Pi. pCP is small and easy to use. Setting up is sometimes a challenge, but there are a lot of possibilities including an equalizer. Now for the LMS-server side: you can use pCP also for this. It's a very good combination to my opinion. Installing pCP is breeze (very small and fast). LMS can be extended with a lot of plugins; one I can recommend is Material: it is a very nice browserbased interface from which you can play/configure LMS-server and client side.

I hope this may help you in some way :)

Thanks for the nice reply and recommendations! Based on what you said, I've downloaded the piCoreplayer and I'll give that one a shot. I really liked Daphile on x86 hardware, but gave it up due to no BT support I needed on that system for the Zoudio amp.

I've noticed dropouts in the wireless service during a couple recent Moode player listenings; so maybe the remote shared music library is too much to ask of my R6300V2 router, even with the pi just 4m away (but though a room wall). I'm currently running a spinning disk there, until a SSD arrives; we'll see if this continues after swapping. My hope is to maintain 1 library for my two systems (which will never be used simultaneously).

I'll give your suggestion on the static IP a shot; I did that with a printer that drove me nutz ending up at a different IP everytime I went to casually print something...

I'm still not sure why the Volumio behaves differently on a second brand new flash, unless as you say the router "thinks" is should be Moode at that IP - and refuses to connect something suddenly named "Volumio" to that same IP.

Likewise, I'm still wondering why Volumio cant take an EQ plug-in load / removal without killing itself in the process.

It would sure be nice if these pi players could read a convolution file and effect it like the Daphile system can. Time to go look for that extra MicroSD!

I’d second piCorePlayer. I’ve grown up on Squeezebox so have a well established ecosystem. But decided to build a dedicated streamer for my HiFiBerry and based it on a rPi 3b+ and allo boss DAC. Also wanting to try something different went with Volumio. The build was easy enough but a year later I’ve gone back to pCP and have not looked back. Add the material skin and you have really neat web control. Also there are so many plugins if there is anything you find lacking.

The only thing that makes it a little more complex is that you need LMS behind the scenes to serve up the music. That can be installed on your rPi as part of your pCP build or installed elsewhere on a PC or even running on your NAS. Mine is on my Synology.

I have just built a new player form my bathroom and that worked pretty much out of the box. See here.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would "imagine" the other guys would be easier to setup networking than piCorePlayer because they are based on a full Linux distribution. We use piCore which is cut to the bone.

Setting up "Samba over wifi"!! :eek:

As I have said before, we are lucky having some many audio distributions for the RPi, its just a matter of finding the one that jells.

You are right of course and to have the choice with minimal outlay is incredible. As it happens I was as the offices of rPi on Friday. A very unassuming floor of an office block in Cambridge and yet like Sinclair and the ZX80 responsible for one of those step changes that happens behind the scenes

So I've successfully setup picoreplayer - it plays radio stations using the Logitech interface. Next, I want to setup the samba share I have on my Netgear R6300, which worked with Moode and Volumio. I fill in the blanks as best I can, which results in something -

mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,password=XXXXXXXXXX,uid=1001,gid=50,vers=1.0 //182.168.2.1/"readyshare" /mnt/USB_Storage

Mapping in W10 simply requires \\readyshare\USB_Storage

Figuring I can get a hint from the successful path of my Moode SD card, when I plug and boot from it, now I only get an image in the browser - no matter what.

http://192.168.2.7/images/default-cover-v6.svg

Oy, Veh - this drives me NUTS!

It's actually

mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,password=XXXXXXXXXX,uid=1001,gid=50 ,vers=1.0 //192.168.2.1/"readyshare" /mnt/USB_Storage

The "8" got in the original cut/paste to make me look like a moron in front of everyone...

I'm still interested in getting this to work. (To get beck into Moode, I had to flush the cache in the browser). The info it provided in its successfully connected remote drive was of no more use than the "\\readyshare\USB_Storage" Windows path.

I know it's possible and there's a way. If anyone can help me, or point to the proper picoreplayer forum to ask, I'd much appreciate it! Thanks.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's actually

mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,password=XXXXXXXXXX,uid=1001,gid=50 ,vers=1.0 //192.168.2.1/"readyshare" /mnt/USB_Storage

The "8" got in the original cut/paste to make me look like a moron in front of everyone...

I'm still interested in getting this to work. (To get beck into Moode, I had to flush the cache in the browser). The info it provided in its successfully connected remote drive was of no more use than the "\\readyshare\USB_Storage" Windows path.

I know it's possible and there's a way. If anyone can help me, or point to the proper picoreplayer forum to ask, I'd much appreciate it! Thanks.

Picoreplayer has a GUI doing this under the Advanced options... its also covered in it's Help pages.

//

It's actually

First thing: is your sharename correct? According to what I read here I would say that the sharename is "USB_Storage" and not "readyshare". (readyshare seems to be the hostname of your storage device?)

Second thing: try to use the GUI: start the GUI and access the Advanced Tab (at the bottom of the page). Then go to "LMS" at the start of the page (you can find this in the row Main Page, Squeezelite Settings, Wifi Settings, Tweaks, LMS).

In the LMS-page, go to the section "Setup Network Disk Mount". Click on More to see what you must enter in the fields. Usually it's enough to fill in the local mountpoint (e.g. Music), IP-address of the remote storage device (in your case 192.168.2.1), Sharename (I think that would be USB_Storage), type is CIFS, the login name and password. The extra field should not be necessary.
In your example you specified "vers=1.0". I don't think that should be necessary (windows supports at least 2.0). Don't forget to tick the Enabled box and click on "Set NET Mount".

EDIT: it may be necessary to "Install and Enable additional FileSystems" first before you try to mount. It did this already some time ago. If you do also perform a reboot after the installation.

I hope this will help you :)

Last edited:
TNT - I must be using the wrong version (rtcore) of picoreplayer, as I dont see the word "Advanced" anywhere in the Main Page GUI...

MSHAVS - here's what I get using the "Setup Network Disk Mount". Seems no matter how I juggle "Music", "readyshare" and "USB_Storage" in the fields available. I got rid of the "vers=1.0". I've been ticking the enable box and using the Set Net Mount button.

The full Windows style path to my flac music collection would be readyshare/USB_Storage/Music. There's other directories / crap on the share...

I did enable the additional filesystems some time ago, prior to my initial post. I'm listening to the NPR news radio via LMS as I type, so I know the wireless connection to the router is conveying a signal to the system. LMS says Music folder is empty.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 176
I did the in-place update successfully and got rid of the realtime kernal...

With a casual look about the net for linux connection to this style router, I see slightly different structured mount strings than -

mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,uid=1001,gid=50 //192.168.2.1/"USB_Storage" /mnt/Music

Such as;

mount -t cifs //192.168.10.1/projects /c/projects -o uid=....

and .... //192.168.1.1/USB_Storage/ /media/public/

If the quotes about USB_Storage that picoreplayer puts in are hard coded and that's what's the matter in my personal instance with this Netgear router, there's little I can do but fold 'em - unless there's a way to go through editing / entering via a SSH terminal or something.

I suppose it must've worked with some other cifs server during development and perhaps was programmed as a user convenience. Rather than saying "dont forget the "" about your share name - needed in many cases"

Last edited:
I put the "vers=1.0" back and success, apparently; mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,uid=1001,gid=50,vers=1.0 //192.168.2.1/"USB_Storage" /mnt/Music

Music from the USB_Storage drive is playing!

Attachments

• Success.jpg
    Success.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
phofman - thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Unfortunately, I have (and been using for years) non-retail R6300V2 I picked up at some thrift store. With the "CH" suffix firmware. User firmware updates aren't allowed...

I read you can blow away the Netgear firmware using dd-wrt first - then with luck reflash to the latest. Only at the risk of everything possible going wrong, up to and including brick of the router. I think "vers=1.0" will have to do for the time being.

I'll look for another R6300 / better (R7000) router in the meantime.

Last edited:
I put the "vers=1.0" back and success, apparently; mount -v -t cifs -o username=guest,uid=1001,gid=50,vers=1.0 //192.168.2.1/"USB_Storage" /mnt/Music

Music from the USB_Storage drive is playing!
GREAT !!! You solved it yourself :D

I didn't understand that your storage is attached to your router (and therefore that you need version 1). I hope it's doing what you want. About the Advanced Tab: when you go to the end of the page you'll find 4 Tabs: Basic / Normal / Advanced / Beta. The levels give you more possibilities to customize your pCP-configuration.
BTW, you mentioned before you tried Daphile already; You can use Daphile as your server and pCP as one of your clients. I use Daphile on x86 myself (it's running in a Virtual Machine in a Debian environment).

As also already mentioned: when you install the Material plugin in LMS (in the Settings page of LMS; Plugin Tab and then 3rd party plugins) you'll get a very nice browser-frontend. I use this for some time now and it work great on both PC and Android.

Success with using LMS / pCP !!!

It looks like picoreplayer is the way to go for me. Thanks, MSHAVS, TNT phofman for your time and attention! Hope the inputs here helps someone decide and be successful.

I'm familiar with the LMS interface, as it's what I used when I first setup a music server probably 7-8 years ago now. Seems to be rock solid - except LMS didnt start up one time for some reason.

A little confusing - says LMS is a database and must be properly shutdown. Picoreplayer shutdown says just hitting the power switch is fine. How should I formally shut down the system to avoid LMS not starting on the next power up? Thanks!

Last edited:
A little confusing - says LMS is a database and must be properly shutdown. Picoreplayer shutdown says just hitting the power switch is fine. How should I formally shut down the system to avoid LMS not starting on the next power up? Thanks!

Yes that's right pCP is all RAM based so it does not matter how the pi gets turned off. I have just dumped the power to mine for ever and it has never failed to boot.

If you are running LMS on the pi also then that does need to be shutdown correctly to commit all the database changes etc. You can hook-up an external HW switch to the gpio if you wish to do that and have a fully scripted shutdown. Its all in the Tweaks tab of pCP.

I have no need of that as LMS runs on my NAS and has for years. If support gets dropped then I might consider running a Docker image or put it on a pi.

If you follow this back to the days of the SlimP3 circa 2001 this product has stood the test of time thanks to a very loyal community.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.