Music library on the micro sd card.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,
We have learned that renderer have better sound when the core and current consumption are low. Nas and usb plugs are current starving and polluted with RaspBerry devices.

What about a 512 Gb micro usd card on a Rpi before the Rpi renderer to acheive the quality noise of the sd card readers that have not library playback interfaces ?

I'm talking about the internal sd card plot where the os is read and loaded, could a second partition or a bigger data folder on the os main prg could stock ours music in the purpose to avoid the noisy rj45 or usb and acheive less power feed i.e. less noise ?

Last edited:
@diydiggy

No. We do not "we have learned...". You did. And you did not learn anything either.
At least when it comes to "lower power consumption = better sound".

lower noise = better sound
lower THD/N = better sound
lower jitter = better sound

to name a few.

When it comes to SD. SD cards are slow, very slow. SD card readers are all but sophisticated.

I'd say better avoid SD. Unfortunately the PI foundation still hasn't released a USB boot option to disable SD altogether.

Nope. Going the SD route wouldn't be my first choice. Better save your money for a nice SSD.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nice guys on steroids you are. Excuse my lack of precision, I just based this inputt on Rpi and Souncheck work about it, i should have wrote this in the first phrase, not in the last...
Billshurv, talking about my needs not yours...

So it's a Rpi related question.

Soundcheck, what was the purpose of your lighted distro please ? Iirc you also talked about less core current cunsumption because the layout is noisy, that's it ? Too fast shorcut I surmise to have made...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Soundcheck, thanks for the ssd advice.
So a class 10 micro sd card would not be as fast than a 5500 rpm 2,5 hdd. But from a noise perspective, what could be the noiser on the Rpi please ? Usb port or micro sd embeded plot (from playback one song purpose I mean)?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
don"t shot the sheriff

If I rephrase : if the micro sdc port is not quiet enough, what is the less noisy option please ?

USB* is noisy (I am at least sure Soundcheck wrote this... :scared: :whip:), and rj45 needs complex ground management with a wifi router to break the groundloop :)soapbox::sarge::dead:)

So I thought the micro sd port was rapid enough with class 10 micro sd card. So seems a stupid idea. Is there a sata port to avoid the usb/rj45 from where the library could be stocked.

Why an external disc drive is better for the boot ? Faster boot or what ?

thanks

*= on the Rpi

I use a micro SDCard to hold my music on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. The music folder is in the /home/username directory. 'Username' stands for my login. I do not notice any issues while playing music and I play music on quite powerful speakers. This means, defects in sound reproduction should be noticeable, especially at high volumes.

Now regarding SDCards being slow in retrieving data. A good playback program will for sure use the much faster RAM to first load chunks of audio files to avoid delays in playback. This avoid any bottlenecks caused by slow SDCards or disks.

According to my experience, the sound hardware used on a Raspberry Pi is what determines good playback or bad playback. I use an IQAudIO DAC Pro hat and have no regrets. The sound is extremely detailed unlike many commercial hifi products.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you so much for these inputs edbark.

No problem on the dac side, I'm looking for a quiet way to manage the library. NAS are noisy those days cause multicore or smps chips, I have a Pi3 as well with isolator and fifo buffer and reclocking but I want to minimize the noise and EMI hassle the more it's possible 'cause it has always an signature whatever the options you putt on the Rpi... and without breaking the bank.

SD card reader or stuffs from ECdesigns are good to stream for illustration but prioritary on the data library management side. Want to stay free on softs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.