Logitechmediaserver - Material Skin User interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought it's worth to have a separate thread on the subject.

Many of you like and run Logitechmediaserver based streaming solutions.
I couldn't agree more to that choice. It's IMO the best solution out there.

However. Until recently the available user interfaces were OK. And that was about it.
I've been running Orange Squeeze and iPeng for years.

That changed some months ago.

There's a rather new kid on the block.

Material Skin (MS)

This new community provided feature brought the LMS package to a whole new level.

Material Skin is an advanced LMS User Interface (UI) using latest web technologies.

You can simply install it via LMS Settings/Plugins.

Once that is done you access it via " http://192.xxx.x.xxx:9000/material/" from a browser.
You simply just add "/material" to your known LMS server IP.

That works on any browser in the network. MS offers desktop and smartphone modes.

Once you've bookmarked MS, use the "Add Bookmark to Home" feature that comes with most of the browsers to pin MS to the homescreen. It works on Android and iOS.

Change the layout/color scheme to your liking. And make it "default". You'll then have the same layout on all platforms. Which IMO is an awesome feature!
Suddenly you have the same look and feel on all your control clients - it'll give your streaming setup one look and feel throughout the house.

I tested it also with Qobuz,Tidal and Spotify. Works great.

All my external control apps are gone now, replaced by Material Skin.

Not to forget. MS is actively being developed/maintained. (Let see how this develops over time.)

Advise: Make sure you run the latest LMS. Download and install the latest 8.0 nightly build.
If you run old/outdated LMS versions, you might have problems getting it to work properly.

Bottom line. If not done yet. Just give it a try.

Thx to Craig for his excellent work. It's highly appreciated.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• LMS-materirial-skin-20200326-Chrome.jpg
    LMS-materirial-skin-20200326-Chrome.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 1,077
Last edited:
Thank you for your hard work.
I’m running PiCorePlayer in my Raspberry Pi4. It will not update to 8.0 nightly only 7.9 is available. Though I bet I wait a few days it may become available.
Thank you again. I have been looking for a better interface!

You need to make a manual intervention to jump from 7.* to 8.*

Assuming your LMS is running on the same RPi4 as your PcP installation, you need to do this:

1.Access piCorePlayer via ssh.

2.$ cd /tmp

3.$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/piCorePlayer/lms-update-script/Master/lms-update.sh

4.$ chmod 755 lms-update.sh

5.$ sudo ./lms-update.sh --mm 8.0.0 -s -r -u

These instructions are taken from here, adjusted to suit the version number :

pCP - Upgrade Logitech Media Server on your piCorePlayer to 7.9.2

Last edited:
404 Not Found:
There is no "material" skin, try http://192.168.50.113:9000 instead.
Last ver. of pCP, LMS Nightly Server Package upgraded.
What I'm doing wrong? Any help, please.

Have you installed the Material plugin?

What address are you using to receive the 404 Not Found message?

I assume that 192.168.50.113 is the address of the device in which your LMS is intsalled, in which case, assuming Material is properly installed, then typing 192.168.50.113:9000/material into your browser address bar should give you access to Material skin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.