Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Noisy USB ports
Noisy USB ports
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2020, 09:48 PM   #1
video1 is offline video1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Noisy USB ports

I have discovered that my PC has very noisy USB ports.

I recently installed JBL 305P self-powered monitor speakers for nearfield use. I can hear a low level buzz and hiss. It's not the typical ground loop hum. The noise is worse when I hook up directly to the motherboard, and a bit less when I use the USB ports on my computer case. The noise is apparent only when there's no music playing or the music level is very low. Of course I would prefer a black background.

PC is a ryzen 7 2700 with 16 GB RAM, no soundcard. I use Foobar2000 as my media player.

Connections are as follows: Computer case USB port --> Audioquest Dragonfly 3.5mm out via balalnced XLR cable --> JBL LSR310S active subwoofer then balanced XLR cables to --> JBL 310P MkII active monitors.

Would some sort of USB filtering device work? I'm interested in getting a different outboard DAC but AFAIK, most of the less expensive ones don't advertise any type of USB filtering. There use to be a Schiit Wyrd but that has been discontinued.

This device would seem to work but it is not rated for USB 2.0 speeds, but the spec reading "upport USB 1.5 Mbps at low speed and full speed 12 Mbps and does not support pure high-speed equipment". Would this thing be fast enough when using high resolution files?Amazon.com: Nobsound USB to USB Isolator Module Audio Noise Eliminator Industrial Isolator Protection: Home Audio & Theater

Another filter is this dongle, which I just ordered to try. Amazon.com: iSilencer3.0 USB Audio Noise Eliminator/Suppressor - Remove Unwanted Noise from Audio - System Upgrade: Home Audio & Theater

Otherwise any of the more robust USB filters that are rated for USB 3.0 speeds are in the $350 range.

Has anyone had this type of problem and come up with a solution that works without spending a ton of money of an outboard box?
Old 19th May 2020, 09:56 PM   #2
DDF is offline DDF  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had similar problem, cured using a USB isolator, like the Olimex, if 24/96 is good enough. The Olimex supports injecting new clean 5V as well, to power the dragonfly
USB-ISO
Old 19th May 2020, 11:14 PM   #3
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

good price if you consider those : USB Isolators – Hifime Audio

Old 19th May 2020, 11:43 PM   #4
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

For a quick test remove the ground from the computer PSU. Use a 3 to 2 prong cheater plug.
Buzz away ? Congratulations, You have a ground loop. Try inserting a soundcard on one of the slots, since motherboard audio is usually ****.
I didn't try an USB isolator yet, since DJ consoles usually don't work with hubs. We use non grounded PSU's with the laptops (2 prong after market), but newer laptops come with them already.

Last edited by MAAC0; 19th May 2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:10 AM   #5
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Hello,

What if the Laptop or the NAS (with USB outputt) with no Earth plug have a noisy ground on their pcb due to the numerous smps chips inside and their main wall dart (with no Earth)?

Could we assume such isolator are usefull then putted near the feeded source (near the dac more than the streamer device) for a even shorter ground loop ?

I surmise it's usefull either you have no Earth connected dac or streamer ? In other words : groundloops ; the sorter the better ! Is it proof ?

Old 20th May 2020, 05:22 AM   #6
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
Audioquest Dragonfly 3.5mm out via balalnced XLR cable
How exactly does your XLR cable wire the unbalanced OUT to the balanced IN?
Old 20th May 2020, 07:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
How exactly does your XLR cable wire the unbalanced OUT to the balanced IN?
It's a 3.5MM plug exiting the Dragonfly into the L & R inputs of the subwoofer. The Sub has L & R XLR out into the L & R XLR in of the desktop monitors.

Cable looks like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
I had similar problem, cured using a USB isolator, like the Olimex, if 24/96 is good enough. The Olimex supports injecting new clean 5V as well, to power the dragonfly
USB-ISO
I saw the Olimex and also the Nobsound version. My concern and question was described as "Support USB 1.5 Mbps at low speed and full speed 12 Mbps and does not support pure high-speed equipment".

Will these devices work with the highest resolution files such as DSD?

Here's the Nobsound version:
Amazon.com: Nobsound USB to USB Isolator Module Audio Noise Eliminator Industrial Isolator Protection: Home Audio & Theater
Old 20th May 2020, 07:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
For a quick test remove the ground from the computer PSU. Use a 3 to 2 prong cheater plug.
Buzz away ? Congratulations, You have a ground loop. Try inserting a soundcard on one of the slots, since motherboard audio is usually ****.
I didn't try an USB isolator yet, since DJ consoles usually don't work with hubs. We use non grounded PSU's with the laptops (2 prong after market), but newer laptops come with them already.
Interesting....

I'm using Foobar2000 and WASAPI to try and bypass the motherboard audio. That's why I'm going through the USB port and not the audio line out on the MB.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:51 PM   #10
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
I would have said that too.
I have a USB DAC and it is dead silent.
The PC is earthed so earthing the sound equipment too could cause noise problems.

Noisy USB portsHide this!Advertise here!