Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Noisy USB ports?
Noisy USB ports?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2020, 06:39 AM   #21
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

If you can disconnect the secondary circuits from the protection wire, IMO that would break the ground loop. The transformer primary/secondary (likely large) capacitance may worsen the results but unlikely in audible levels.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:28 PM   #22
danschy is offline danschy  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think I'd hear anything with computer off since I can hear the noise associated with what is on the screen. Move things around on the desktop and I get noise. Leave things alone and I can hear things like one second pulses of noise as various routines kick in, especially Task Manager. Plus that will of course turn off the sound card which is USB powered.

But all is good. I dug out an old Denon AVR-2500 (which has direct input to the power amps) and hooked it up. Being a Class II device, no ground loop, no noise - could not hear anything even with ear pressed against speakers. Sadly, my rebuilt vintage amp has been relegated to driving the surround channels - they are further away, and without tweeters aimed directly at my ears, I don't hear the noise.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
If you can disconnect the secondary circuits from the protection wire, IMO that would break the ground loop. The transformer primary/secondary (likely large) capacitance may worsen the results but unlikely in audible levels.
OK, maybe that will be a task for some day in the future. Thanks for your help.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I could hear letters being typed in linux terminal :-)

I am glad you have sorted it out. I believe ground loops are the very reason for all the "fine tuned" computer setups where people try to shut down all processes, screen, everything and claim to hear a difference. Such changes are futile because they do not fix the very cause - the ground loop in their setup.
Old 11th April 2020, 01:57 PM   #25
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I could hear letters being typed in linux terminal :-)

I am glad you have sorted it out. I believe ground loops are the very reason for all the "fine tuned" computer setups where people try to shut down all processes, screen, everything and claim to hear a difference. Such changes are futile because they do not fix the very cause - the ground loop in their setup.
I've tested dozens of computers on my professionnal sound cards and they were all as silent.
Old 11th April 2020, 02:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Good you did not have a ground loop in your setup.

Internal soundcards on modern motherboards (with HDA codecs) are usually very silent too.
Old 18th April 2020, 12:27 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

My last post implied perfection once I went to a Class II amplifier. That is not completely true. Apparently my sound card mutes until something comes along for it to output, so when I did my initial experiments with a Class II amp the sound card was muted. If I start playing music, then pause, I can still hear some computer noise, although at a much lower level than with the Class I amplifier. It is only noticeable if I have no music playing and am messing around with computer stuff.

Not one to leave things alone, today I cobbled up a little interface board to power the sound card from a separate (floating) power supply. That seems to have largely eliminated the noise. With ear pressed against the tweeter while moving windows around the desktop I can maybe hear a little something, but certainly inaudible from my listening chair and probably comparable or less than the amplifier hum/noise. So maybe I'll build up something a little less kludgy.

Noisy USB ports?Hide this!Advertise here!