RPi - introducing kernel 5.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy.

FYI.

RPi (Raspbian) is moving to kernel 5.4 soon. 5.4 is a LTS (long term support) kernel.

It's still gonna be a "foundation" kernel. Meaning you can expect all these numerous RPi related patches and drivers still to be part of it.

And that also means that serious (full) "mainline" kernel support won't happen any time soon. I guess it'll never happen.

It seems you can try an early version already on your Raspbian:

Code:
sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update

Make a backup first, before you do! ;)

Don't expect it to be a smooth ride. It's still "beta".

Here's the official announcement.

4.19 was introduced in Q4/2018 and runs out in 12/2020. 5.4 was introduced in Q4/2019.
Nice to see that the foundation stays in sync with the mainline developments,
despite the huge efforts to maintain your own kernel.
Most of us know that exactly this strategy makes the RPi such a success story.

Enjoy.

I will keep with the adage, "If it is not broken do not fix it!". Using the Raspberry Pi as a media player does not need the latest, more bug prone, kernel.

Especially kernel developments can and usually do enhance the performance of the systems in many areas.

And. IMO every platform - server or client - should be equipped with the latest (stable) SW.

And I do know that most of the distro maintainers around here and elsewhere will introduce the new kernel generation on their platforms asap.

If there are manufactures trying to tell otherwise, it's done for - to me - obvious reasons.

Inexperienced users should of course stay away from playing around with this kind of
stuff.

Enjoy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.