Help! New to RPi streaming and in over my head

Hello all. A couple weeks ago I finally had enough of my music either
1) disconnecting from my phone thus losing control while the music continues to play or
2) dropping out completely
while listening to Spotify, Qobuz, or Tidal through my Chromecast Audio. After a bunch of research on other commercially available plug-and-play options, and realizing that, even on the used market, there was nothing that offered both reliable connectivity and very good sound quality for less than $300. I'm on a budget and it seemed crazy to me to spend $300 for a used Bluesound Node 2 when I bought my CCA for $25 and it worked well for quite awhile...until Google stopped selling them. At which point they also apparently stopped truly supporting the software integration with the streaming audio services. I digress...

So anyway, after some encouragement from others over at AudioCircle, I bought a gently used Allo DigiOne player. As most of you here probably already know it's a streamer built on the RPi 3B+, using Allo's DigiOne I2S-to-SPDIF output HAT. I plan on converting the Coax digital out from the Digione to Optical SPDIF using my iFi SPDIF iPurifier, and feeding that to my JDS Labs OL DAC (which is also on my list to be upgraded later this year).

I have plenty of experience with the analog hardware side of DIY audio, but all of these questions about Pi OS software and how it works with Spotify or Tidal has my head spinning. I’m a Mechanical Engineer and consider myself fairly “tech savvy”, but on the other hand this is my first foray into the SBC world, and I’m certainly no programmer.

I don't have any locally stored files to play; I only want to use the DigiOne for wirelessly streaming Spotify and either Tidal, Qobuz, or another lossless streaming service to my stereo. I plan on using my iPhone 6s to control. My wife has an Android, and she definitely will want to be able to stream with her phone as well without a huge learning curve. If it makes it easier, I might be open to getting a cheap Android tablet to control this all (in lieu of the phones) but I definitely don't want to add another monthly payment for something such as Roon or Volumio Premium. From what I’m reading I need something called BubbleUPnP to use Tidal (or any streaming service other than Spotify). Does that get installed on the control device (my phone in my case), or on the RPi?

What is the best OS for the RPi in my case? Volumio? DietPi? Moode? Daphile? Something else? How do I use it and how does I actually get it to stream music from Spotify and Tidal? :confused: I know I have to download the OS image file on a regular PC and copy it to a MicroSD card, which is no problem for me. I just need a beginner’s guide that compares the various OS options and gives instructions on how it all works together, which I still can’t seem to find after lots of googling.:( I’m really confused about how to actually get this up and running, and very close to throwing in the towel on the RPi and biting the bullet and getting a Node 2 or a Paradigm PW Link or something similar.

Maybe it’s I’ve over-complicated it all in my head. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done that.

Help!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I use Volumio, and I installed the Roon Bridge on it. Volumio supports AirPlay, so your iPhone will be able to connect and play directly to Volumio (my kids do that a lot). I don't know much about music playback from Android. I mostly use Roon for music playback, which integrates very nicely with Tidal and Qobuz.

You could also use something else than Volumio as a "base system" for Roon Bridge. Volumio is what I had, it's easy to use, and it works well.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi Kevin,

I haven't seen a comparison of all the different audio based RPi distributions. Being involved with piCorePlayer I deliberately don't look at the others, so can't make a comparison.

It is confusing. Some use Squeezelite/LMS, others use mpd while a few offer both. Then there are the video solutions that have audio plugins.

All of them seem to get good reviews so its just a matter of finding one that suits you. I'd be surprised if they don't all have the some ability to stream music from the internet.

regards
Greg

I find Airplay unreliable, and Roon costs money doesn't it?
I use Bubble UPnP installed on my Android tablet to stream Tidal to Moode. Moode will also link to Spotify Connect. There is a setup guide on the Moode website, and the player itself is accessed, as you probably know, via a web browser. Moode has a Forum if you need help.
When flashing the image file to the SD card it's a good idea to use balena Etcher (freeware).

Hi.

I must say, that using piCoreplayer is easy, and the RPI with that dist., can resist that power is unplugged along with rest of the stereo, cause it's running in ram only.

The other dist.'s like volumio etc... all have the possibility to make a poweroff script or physical button attached to the gpio or like for make a prober shutdown through... But it's much easier using piCoreplayer with LogitechMediaServer IMHO.

Jesper.

Hi.

I must say, that using piCoreplayer is easy, and the RPI with that dist., can resist that power is unplugged along with rest of the stereo, cause it's running in ram only.

The other dist.'s like volumio etc... all have the possibility to make a poweroff script or physical button attached to the gpio or like for make a prober shutdown through... But it's much easier using piCoreplayer with LogitechMediaServer IMHO.

Jesper.
I second the latter. It just works with minimal, if any, problems.

I've had the same issues in recent years, and have yet to find a perfect solution. I'm currently subscribing to myvolumio to run Tidal on Volumio. But, as you've mentioned, it is an extra expense.

I have two other imperfect solutions:
1. Running Kodi. This allows you to run Tidal with no extra fees, but it is controlled via your TV's remote control;
2. An Android TV device, such as the MiBox. Chromecast works great on it and it is easy to stream from a phone. You can also install streaming apps to run natively. But, once again you're back to using your TV, and while the audio quality is ok, I doubt it is as good as your raspberry pi + Allo DigiOne set-up.

Re operating system - your general understanding is correct. You download the OS image file on a regular PC and copy it to a MicroSD card. But this has to be done in a specific way and each program has instructions for this. (eg - https://cdn.volumio.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Quick-Start-Guide-Volumio-1.pdf)

All the programs you've mentioned can be installed for free. Part of the fun is that you can try them all out an see which one you prefer.

I've been using these programs for years. Like you, I was initially annoyed with the lack of guides or instructions. And the program forums aren't much use - they all assume you're some sort of Linux expert and that you can go SSH'ing into things and changing code. But don't throw in the towel yet. Just follow the instructions to get one of these working.

Programs like Volumio, Moode and Rune Audio might be the easiest to install and start using. They share a lot of similarities, so once you've figured one out, the others will be easier.

It amazes (and annoys) me for years that people in general don't want to pay money for ready-solutions such as the Bluesound Node or equivalents. And then want a cheap turnkey-solution using a Raspberry-Pi and a HAT (or USB or whatever) and a software package that works like such a fullblown solution. Since you're getting into the DIY-world when you want to use Volumio/Moode/piCorePlayer or whatever packaged linux-based solution, you should expect that you have to learn to use it yourself. There is a lot of information in Forums and other internet-webpages, but you still need to get some understanding of how it works and how to handle it (or find a nephew or neighbor with more knowledge :) ). If do not want to invest time and effort in this then go for the other solutions. You pay good money for it, but can also expect a helpdesk or physical support from the shop where you buy it (you also support the local shops which is a good thing TMO :))
In case you still can't or won't affort this then start reading the Forumposts that are available for all of those DIY-products. Most answers are there or you can post your question and most of the time other members will answer yours. It will be worth it to invest time in this, but also bear in mind that not all things are smooth and always working the way you would like to. A lot of times you need to update the packages or reinstall and redo the settings (always good to save the old settings before you do such a step).
I started to use a Squeezebox solution about 10 years ago (and paid good money for it then) and that worked fine (and still does). In the meantime I've used also several Raspberry-Pi solutions and software packages. They're all good and still getting better but also still have flaws or quirks. A reboot now and then is still needed to get things working again, but that doesn't bother me.

as a good saying in english: penny wise, pound foolish

What is the best OS for the RPi in my case? Volumio? DietPi? Moode? Daphile? Something else? How do I use it and how does I actually get it to stream music from Spotify and Tidal? :confused: I know I have to download the OS image file on a regular PC and copy it to a MicroSD card, which is no problem for me. I just need a beginner’s guide that compares the various OS options and gives instructions on how it all works together, which I still can’t seem to find after lots of googling.:( I’m really confused about how to actually get this up and running, and very close to throwing in the towel on the RPi
Hi Kevin. Don’t throw in the towel yet. You have all the hardware (Rpi and a great DAC) and don’t have to spend anything more to get things going. Yes, it is complicated and overwhelming if you don’t understand. I still don’t understand much but managed to get my setup going about a year ago and I love it. Also, the many different options and advice given doesn’t give much clarity either. I can only help according to my own personal setup and experience.

I’m not sure there is a “best” music player for the RPi. Both Volumio and Moode are excellent, with Volumio probably the easiest to setup and to get going, so start with Volumio. In either case you need to first format the SD card using some formatting software (cannot remember the name now). Then you need to download the music player image to your PC and get the music player software onto the SD card using Balena Etcher. Then you can insert the SD card into the RPi and fire up your RPi. The music player will start automatically and the first bootup takes some time to configure stuff. Then it needs to be configured for your network (wifi), DAC and streaming site login details. You can do this with a screen connected to the RPi. After that the RPi is now ready for action and runs headless (without a screen). Now install the Volumio App on your phone. I have an Andriod phone, not sure how it works on an Apple device. With the Volumio app on your phone, and connected to the same wifi router, you can now control Volumio running on the RPi to start playing music to the DAC. With the Volumio app you can now select the music you want to play from Spotify, MP3 files on the phone, FLAC files on other devices on the network, web radios, etc.

Question is - where are you going to stream from? You mentioned some of the big ones – Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz. Volumio supports Spotify playback (using your Spotify account login details), by just installing the Spotify plugin, and there you go. So, Volumio together with Spotify is probably the simplest setup. To be able to stream from Tidal or Qobuz (or Google Music like I do), you need to install another app, BubbleUPnP, on your phone that supports playback from these 3 sites. You then use the BubbleUPnP app on your phone to select the music you want to stream and the app actually sends the music via Volumio to your DAC.

This is a simple explanation of the basic process and for me – it’s magic and sounds awesome. Don’t be shy to ask any (stupid) questions here – there is plenty of help available.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm running Roon ROCK on a NUC and use an Allo USBridge Signature running Ropieee for network streaming to a Topping DX7s over USB. I was stunned by the large improvement in sound quality this set up afforded over my Sony HAP-Z1ES.

Excluding the Roon license the entire set up including a second RPI endpoint with screen, USB dac for my home office cost slightly less overall than the HAP did originally.

The nice thing about Roon and Ropieee is it just all worked more or less immediately - minimal fuss.

Glad you got it running successfully.

Glad you pushed through and got it working. Have you tried getting it to work with Tidal yet?
Yeah I ended up just giving in and subscribing to MyVolumio. Works great & sounds awesome! I just subscribed to the cheaper level ("Virtuoso" I think it's called) that limits you to using it on 1 device. I didn't want to fuss with figuring out how to integrate another piece of software into the chain, and I decided I can handle $32 a year for it, given the cost of the alternative options like the Bluesound Node 2 or Auralic Aries Mini.

My wife only uses Spotify (which of course works fine with the free version of Volumio), so I'm the only one that needs to be able to control Tidal/Qobuz from my phone. I can of course use Spotify too when I want to. I'm just saying that if I wanted to control Tidal/Qobuz from more than 1 device, I'd have to jump up to the more expensive level of MyVolumio for about $74/year.

Anyway, I cannot recommend this highly enough to anyone looking for a high quality, low cost streamer. Huge bang-for-the-buck with the Digione! :D Especially if you're lucky enough to get a used one in like-new condition ;)

Thanks again for the help/encouragement in getting it up and running everyone! :cheers:

I’m not sure there is a “best” music player for the RPi. Both Volumio and Moode are excellent, with Volumio probably the easiest to setup and to get going, so start with Volumio.

Then you need to download the music player image to your PC and get the music player software onto the SD card using Balena Etcher.

Now install the Volumio App on your phone.

To be able to stream from Tidal or Qobuz (or Google Music like I do), you need to install another app, BubbleUPnP, on your phone that supports playback from these 3 sites. You then use the BubbleUPnP app on your phone to select the music you want to stream and the app actually sends the music via Volumio to your DAC.

Hi,

I ran into this thread while looking for a solution. It is about the smallest and simplest thread on this topic.

Let me get this straight.

1. I need Volumio on my USBridge Signature (I am using this instead of a Pi) AND on my phone?
  2. To get Volumio on my USBridge I need Balena Etcher to copy the software to an SD card?
  3. To use Tidal I need to install BubbleUPnP on my phone which somehow will connect to the Volumio on the USBridge?

Is this correct?

Anyway, I cannot recommend this highly enough to anyone looking for a high quality, low cost streamer. Huge bang-for-the-buck with the Digione! :D Especially if you're lucky enough to get a used one in like-new condition ;)

Did anyone try using an iPad instead of an iPhone? Does it work the same way? I want to use a tablet so we do not have to sacrifice our phones and the tablet is always available for both my wife and me to use.

Thanks.

Hi,

I ran into this thread while looking for a solution. It is about the smallest and simplest thread on this topic.

Let me get this straight.

1. I need Volumio on my USBridge Signature (I am using this instead of a Pi) AND on my phone?
  2. To get Volumio on my USBridge I need Balena Etcher to copy the software to an SD card?
  3. To use Tidal I need to install BubbleUPnP on my phone which somehow will connect to the Volumio on the USBridge?

Is this correct?

Did anyone try using an iPad instead of an iPhone? Does it work the same way? I want to use a tablet so we do not have to sacrifice our phones and the tablet is always available for both my wife and me to use.

Thanks.

1.Yes, you need to have Volumio installed on the USBridge. The phone is just used to view and control the player, which is accessed via an IP address on the phone's browser.
2.Balena Etcher is good, and it's free.
3.BubbleUPnP is an Android App. If you have an iPhone you may need to use Linn Kazoo, or Airplay as a last resort.

A tablet is fine. I just use a cheap Android model. Anything that can access the internet via a browser will do the job.

Last edited:
I have not used an iPad with mine. I have a lot of connection problems with mine too. Listening to streaming has become frustrating...when it does work I'm constantly anxious that the connection is going to drop out, which prohibits me from being able to relax and enjoy listening to the music...Going to try a wired Ethernet connection, and if that doesn't help I'm ready bite the bullet and spring for a used Node 2i

If you want something that just works well from the start without a bunch of effort and fighting with it, I would NOT recommend an RPi streamer.