Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2020, 11:46 AM   #341
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I am not sure how to output samples in a standalone application. If you opt for another alsa device, it will duplicate the alsaloop functionality which does adaptive resampling too and you would code stuff not required by your project. I think a well-commented rust source code would itself be a major help.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:44 PM   #342
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I am not sure how to output samples in a standalone application. If you opt for another alsa device, it will duplicate the alsaloop functionality which does adaptive resampling too and you would code stuff not required by your project. I think a well-commented rust source code would itself be a major help.
I will start simple, with reading and writing as raw binary. I can just copy the read/write code from "file" device in CamillaDSP. And I already have Python scripts for generating and analyzing the data.

It's recommended (almost mandatory) to include simple examples in Rust libraries. A raw in/out resampler is perfect for this.
Here is an example, a simple rust library I wrote for reading and writing tags in .ogg files: GitHub - HEnquist/lib-rust-oggvorbis-meta. In the "examples" folder you put one or several short programs that demonstrate how to use the library.
Old 13th April 2020, 01:42 PM   #343
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hello here...

I'am (trying) to build some fir filters for this beautiful CamillaDSP engine, and while asking some quistions at this thread rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
At post #2984 i realised that i don't know about filter lengths and soo, seeing what fluid replied to me, maked me post this post now.

I hope i can have some explanation of what kind of filter to and what format i need (filter length's etc...)

## See attached picture too

I use REW and RePhase for the room correction.

Jesper.
Attached Images
File Type: png SAVE_Filters_2.png (16.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: png SAVE_Filters_1.png (80.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 13th April 2020, 03:04 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

It's not really possible to answer how long your filters should be, that really only depends on what you want to achieve!

But one can say a few things. Long filters are mostly useful for correcting low frequencies. Then it's not the length of the impulse response in samples that's important, but the length in time. So the filter at 96kHz should be twice as long (in samples or taps) as the one for 48 kHz to give the same result.

About format. Text is fine and have the advantage that it's human readble, but is slower to import and the files get quite big. I would recommend 64-bit floats (often called "double") if you are running 64-bit (the default), or 32-bit floats ("single" or sometimes "float") if you compiled CamillaDSP for 32-bit mode. Then there is no conversion needed when reading.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:27 AM   #345
Daihedz is offline Daihedz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
...when the source and sink are using different clock sources. ...
It' useful not only for In-Out:
Think of an X-Over, e.g. with 4 ways, each feeding a different 2-Channel DAC. If every of these 4 ways has his own resampler to catch up for the 4 different clocks of the DAC, then no more need to sychronzie these devices. This would be a very nice option, e.g. also in case you are scaling up a system by including some channels later on (a subwoofer p.ex.).
So in terms of camilladsp a high-quality SRC filter would indeed be a super option and something unseen until now.
Old 14th April 2020, 07:12 AM   #346
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I am not sure about performance when two unsynchronized DACs were used for multichannel. While adaptive resampling avoids buffer under/overflows (serial mode), it would not maintain interchannel frames synchronization in parallel mode, only in long run.
Old 14th April 2020, 11:00 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

Outputting to several independent dacs is probably never going to work well for a crossover. If we cross over at 2kHz and run 44100Hz, that means each single sample we are off adds a phase difference of 16 degrees. And I think it would be already be a challenge to make sure they stay within maybe +-100 samples.

I'm planning to put the resampling on the capture side. That means for let's say a stereo 2-way crossover only two channels need to resampled. It the resampling was at the playback side, that would instead be four and use twice the cpu time.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:48 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Some testing along with CamillaDSP:

I convolved a synthetic and quite weird test signal of 65 samples length along with five different LinPhase (128k) 4-way xovers of same xfrequencies (70/420/2450), but of different types from shallow to very steep (and ringing): (L)BES2, LR4, NT2, UBPol5_2 and HK. Just to have a look how it sums up after splitting the CamillaDSP data pipe into to 2x4 channels at the begin of the pipe, inserting the filters like for a real stereo xover, but then merging everything together again at the end of the pipe. Theoretically this equals ideally an 1:1 transmission (along with some processor heating). The idea was to control wheter there is a critical filter type, where the convolving process would introduce some glitches for one reason or another. Result: Nope! Perfect convolution/summation with all types of xovers!

Time.png

Time_Zoom.png

Red is the original MinPhase test signal, artificially delayed by 65532 samples for the foto session. The other curves are the result of the 4-way-convolution after summation. They have been artificially delayed 2-sample-wise to better show theirs congruence with the original test signal.

Conclusion: Convolution does not harm and is ok with any filter type - as hopefully expected!
Attached Images
File Type: png Time.png (9.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: png Time_Zoom.png (50.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 15th April 2020, 08:55 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Brief Addon:
While convolution does not distort the test pulse used in the above test set, sample rate conversion (SRC) does. Same 2x4xover setup as before with 3 sets of LR4 filters (44.1/88.2/96), same input file 44.1/16. SRC was performed with 64Bit accuracy by resample_soxr --band-width 80 --phase 25. The convolver was CamillaDSP - what else?

I_Time.png

The graph shows the 3 output impulses after summing 4 channels xover. Green 44.1k -> 44.1k (no resampling), 44.1k -> 88.2k (brown), 44.1k -> 96k (blue). Brown and blue are more or less the same, so there is absolutely no point in beleiving in even and integer resampling ratios such as is advocated by some.

So now it gets interesting. How will (maybe) the new and upcoming resampler algorithm behave with this synthetic, really nasty input signal? My bet is that any resampler will fail with this test, because of the nature of this "ugly" and quasi transient input signal.
Attached Images
File Type: png I_Time.png (27.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 15th April 2020, 09:14 PM   #350
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'll comment on this with my admittedly incomplete knowledge about the sampling theorem...

IMHO the input signal you gave is not allowed - or to rephrase slightly - it could never have come from digitizing an analogue signal as it would have had to contain frequency components above the nyquist frequency. This violates the sampling theorem, you can't sample frequencies above nyquist.

So my theory is that the resampler is excited by this transient and shows ringing in it's filter with these "unallowed" frequency components.

Hopefully somebody with better knowledge about this stuff can comment on this.

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!