Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2021, 04:34 PM   #2481
emailtim is offline emailtim  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
It's about placing the blocking ALSA read/write in a thread of its own. This avoids some problems that occur when the read/write takes longer than expected. Normally that isn't an issue, but when using quirky devices like for example many spdif inputs this means the quirks can be handled in a better way.

The File backend will get the same treatment and it means that pipes can be better supported. The current implementation doesn't work well when reading from a pipe and the sending application stops sending data (but still keeps the pipe open). Some player apps do that when playback is paused.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 24th November 2021, 10:30 PM   #2482
johnanon is offline johnanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanon View Post
Hi Michael

I'm testing an RME UCX II at the moment and I wonder if you'd help me with understanding the CamillaDSP/ALSA configuration you use to capture a stream from the soundcard? I'm going to connect my CD's optical to the RME, and that physical input maps to channels 13/14. Any quick pointer you can give me will, no doubt, save me lots of time spent fiddling at this end.
No worries - it turned out to be much simpler than I thought
Old 25th November 2021, 07:08 AM   #2483
Henris is offline Henris  Finland
diyAudio Member

I've been testing CamillaDSP with my B&C 15CXN76 coaxial project. I'm using REW-RePhase toolchain to produce FIR based linear phase crossover and EQ filters. I'm currently running these tools and CamillaDSP on Windows 10 Intel NUC with Asus Xonar U7 MKII. Eventually I would run CamillaDSP on Linux. I'm using the recommended VB-CABLE virtual sound card as the Windows playback device.

Beside the few issues below CamillaDSP has been wonderful; I was able to implement a fully functional linear phase active crossover + EQ in a matter of hours. So thank you for creating this great piece of software!

Few questions:
1. I'm seeing a level drop of about 10dB when using the VB-CABLE virtual sound card -> CamillaDSP -> Xonar compared to using MiniDSP 2x4HD USB-audio. I have triple checked all the device levels to be 100. Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Quite often CamillaDSP enters a continuous buffer underrun loop. CPU utilisation is hovering around 5%. I've experimented with different chunksizes but no real difference. Otherwise I'm running pretty much recommended settings found in Wiki. The only thing which seems to solve the issue is to raise the priority of the CamillaDSP process from normal to high. Is this something to do with Windows (most people running Linux distros)?

3. What are the recommended settings when producing FIR filters with REW-RePhase? Especially the RePhase "Impulse settings" to generate the actual FIR filter for CamillaDSP. Also should I use the same sampling frequency across UMIK-1 -> REW -> RePhase -> CamillaDSP -> sound devices chain? RePhase seems to be 96kHz so should I use that everywhere?
Old 25th November 2021, 08:54 AM   #2484
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quite often CamillaDSP enters a continuous buffer underrun loop.
I wonder if the VB-CABLE virtual sound card somehow allows controlling the virtual samplerate, like snd-aloop or the async USB audio gadget does. Perhaps the clock difference between the internal VB-cable software clock and Xonar HW clock causes the underruns?
Old 25th November 2021, 10:37 AM   #2485
HenrikEnquist is online now HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No unfortunately VB-cable doesn't offer any way of adjusting the rate. The asynchronous resampler will be needed.

@Henris, can you post your config and the output from a run with debug logging when the underruns happen?
Old 25th November 2021, 04:01 PM   #2486
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henris View Post
The only thing which seems to solve the issue is to raise the priority of the CamillaDSP process from normal to high. Is this something to do with Windows (most people running Linux distros)?
That could just be Microsoft's scheduling and latency issues. I switched to Linux for multiple reasons including writing straight to ALSA and being able to control latencies by using low latency and/or PREEMPT_RT kernels.

Try running Latency Monitor during playback.

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

Click the image to open in full size.

Thesycon's DPC Latency Checker is another app to try, but Latency Monitor is probably more detailed.

Last edited by emailtim; 25th November 2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 25th November 2021, 05:32 PM   #2487
diyAudio Member

Attached are config and the two debug logs (zip file). On the first run I just first waited with Spotify playing and nothing else going on. Got tired of waiting, tried opening diyaudio on Chrome and almost immediately buffer underrun. Playback never recovered.

At this time I also noticed the post related to LatencyMon and installed it. First image is with the playback restarted and everything playing nicely.

On the second run I did not wait but opened the diyaudio web page again and got buffer underrun. LatencyMon did not seem to indicate any problems during the playback or at the failure (second image).

Normally the buffer underruns have occurred during background playback with no user interaction taking place. But of course Windows could be doing whatever it thinks is important at any time.

I will make additional tests with CamillaDSP having higher priority.
Attached Images
File Type: png latency_mon_playing_ok.png (36.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png latency_mon_failed.png (34.4 KB, 65 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2021-11-2021 (DIYAudio, buffer underrun).zip (33.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th November 2021, 06:16 PM   #2488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1. I'm seeing a level drop of about 10dB when using the VB-CABLE virtual sound card -> CamillaDSP -> Xonar compared to using MiniDSP 2x4HD USB-audio. I have triple checked all the device levels to be 100. Any ideas what could be causing this?
I think this is all Xonar U7 MKII. The output levels from the analog connectors are just so low. Unfortunately I did not understand the meaning of this when reading Amir's review: Review and Measurements of Asus Xonar U7 MKII ADC/DAC/HP | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

And the digital output is limited to stereo only. But it is providing the full levels. Don't understand why this card has been recommended to this kind of usage at all.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:05 PM   #2489
diyAudio Member

Quote:

On the second run I did not wait but opened the diyaudio web page again and got buffer underrun. LatencyMon did not seem to indicate any problems during the playback or at the failure (second image).

Normally the buffer underruns have occurred during background playback with no user interaction taking place. But of course Windows could be doing whatever it thinks is important at any time.

I will make additional tests with CamillaDSP having higher priority.
The longest latency in the 2nd run did triple over the 1st run. You might want to let LatencyMon run for a few minutes (across multiple runs) to catch distributed transients. Latencies don't always get caught on a single short run. With extended runs on my Windows laptop, the Microsoft i8042 Port Driver and the Microsoft TCP/IP driver causes undesirable issues.

If changing the priority fixes the problem, it is most likely a scheduling related issue.

FWIW, I added "NICE" commands to my Linux run scripts to increase their priorities for good measure. I also don't have transient anti-virus and automatic update/update check apps running in the background in Linux. Anti-virus is pretty much integral/ubiquitous to Windows.
Old 25th November 2021, 09:56 PM   #2490
HenrikEnquist is online now HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

@Henris, this looks like an issue I had while faced in some early versions of the wasapi backend. I thought I had solved it, but maybe not completely then.
Which version was this, 0.6.3? If you haven't tried the latest 1.0.0 preview, can you do that?

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!