Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2021, 09:14 AM   #1971
jensgk is offline jensgk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikEnquist View Post
Or are you actually using the new moOde camilladsp integration? In that case it's switching samplerate automatically for you.
Yes, I am using the new moOde camilladsp integration

Quote:
It looks like you are using a loopback to get the audio into camilladsp. Can you post your alsa config file?
I had a look into the alsa config. It seems to setup CamillaDSP in "/etc/alsa/conf.d/camilladsp.conf" is that the one you want?

It referred to GitHub - scripple/alsa_cdsp: ALSA plugin for Camilla DSP

Should I just change to this:

devices:
samplerate: $samplerate$
chunksize: 1024
queuelimit: 1
capture:
type: File
channels: $channels$
filename: "/dev/stdin"
format: $format$
playback:
type: ALSA
channels: $channels$
device: "hw:0"
format: S32LE

Quote:
The loopback won't change samplerate automatically. If you have a "plug" in the alsa config, that will resample to 96 kHz for you, and the processing will always run at 96 kHz.
Quote:
The BiQuad filters in your config work at any samplerate. Only convolution (FIR) filters, and BiQuads using the "Free" mode are locked to a single rate.
Great, also what I thought, that is why I didn't use the ones with coefficients.

Quote:
There are many opinions on what the optimal samplerate is, but there are two that are common. The first one is that is't best to avoid resampling altogether. The second is that it's best to upsample everything to the highest rate the playback device can handle, and do processing at the high rate.
What would you do?

/Jens
Old 1st May 2021, 09:30 AM   #1972
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensgk View Post
Yes, I am using the new moOde camilladsp integration

Should I just change to this:

devices:
samplerate: $samplerate$
You don't need to change anything, it's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensgk View Post
What would you do?
Both are fine! But since you have it working with rate switching now, my suggestion would be to not worry about it and enjoy the music
Old 1st May 2021, 09:37 AM   #1973
jensgk is offline jensgk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You don't need to change anything, it's all good!

Both are fine! But since you have it working with rate switching now, my suggestion would be to not worry about it and enjoy the music
Thanks a lot, - I will

/Jens
Old 1st May 2021, 10:08 PM   #1974
diyAudio Member

I tried pushing my laptop now, with an AMD Ryzen 7 2700u cpu.
I ran the same test as on the Pi4, at 192 kHz and FIR with 262k taps per channel.

At just below 100% CPU usage, it manages 96 channels!

This CPU has AVX, which helps quite a bit here.
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:11 AM   #1975
torgeirs is offline torgeirs  Norway
diyAudio Member

That are impressive results!

One benefit of being able to use high samplerate is to adjust group delay quite fine at the crossoverpoints with just using sample delay and not having to resort to more advanced allpassfilters
If i remember right this example apply: 198 k sampling gives 3.6 degrees phase resolution at 1980 hz
And that 2k soundwave is 17 cm long. So adjustment in distanse between elements ican be as small as 1,7 mm using whole sample delay
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:30 AM   #1976
diyAudio Member

And why care:
Say 4k xover freq
44,1 k sampling freq
Resolution mm pr sample:340*1000/44100=8mm
Wavelength 4k: 340*1000/4000=85mm
So 42mm path difference or 5 samles delay of one element means cancellation because they are out of phase
Fun example of phase cancelation
Allpass Filter tricks! - YouTube
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:25 PM   #1977
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torgeirs View Post
... and not having to resort to more advanced allpassfilters
Such an allpass filter is included in the latest version, to (optionally) give the Delay filter subsample precision.
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:49 PM   #1978
diyAudio Member

Nice!
Thanks for your efforts, Henrik. This is a game changer regarding cost of advanced home FIR filtering and digital XO
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:36 PM   #1979
diyAudio Member

Jack support!

Someone on github asked why I wasn't using CPAL to support JACK. The only reason was that I simply didn't think of doing it. Since all of the code already existed it was a quick job to add that. I haven't tested more than that it seems to run and can send and receive audio from the jack server. If someone wants to give it a go, try the "jack" branch on github!
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:54 PM   #1980
diyAudio Member

From Greg Timbers
«By using FIR filters, amplitude and phase can be manipulated independently so this constraint can be overcome. The hardware in the DEQX is very well implemented indeed, but it is no match for the esoteric discrete analog stuff. Still, the complete amplitude and time correction easily overcomes this handicap and has given me the best of both worlds. I now have all of the detail, dynamics, smoothness and spacial attributes I have been searching for with the ability to do room correction and frequency shaping as I wish. It is a win-win for me«
He has designed these super expensive speakers himself and chose to rip out the analogue xover when he retired.
So FIR and time aligment might be somthing. And now the DSP part can be done with a 50$ prosessor.

Last edited by torgeirs; 2nd May 2021 at 10:57 PM.

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!