CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.

@jheoaustin I see no reason why this would not work. CamillaDSP can do all the splitting/filtering/summing you mention.
I have no experience with Dirac. IIUC then it presents a virtual soundcard that you use as output device. It outputs the processed sound to another device of your choice. If you let it output to Blackhole and let CamillaDSP capture from that it should work. Don't know what latency to expect though since it's a fairly long chain.
Hi Henrik,

Thank you very much for your positive reply, and also for your great effort and contribution of CamillaDSP. I will look into options of completing a system with CamillaDSP at the center. It's a long latency process, but I seem to be insensitive to A/V sync problem, so I think it should be fine.

BTW, Did you mean CamillaDSP or Dirac by "it" when you said "it presents" and "It outputs"? Dirac seems to work mostly as a plugin(VST/AAX/AU), so I guess its use flexibility is a bit limited. I wish I could use Dirac plugin from CamillaDSP or some other S/W, and somehow create a virtual audio output device that actually takes the input from source player apps, process Dirac and my own crossover, and output to the actual output device for the USB DAC.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aha! I did an enquire on how to catch who dose the process killing on a Mac forum (but no luck there) but one comment was that Soundflower wasn't developed any ore since a couple of years as opposed to Blackhole... my installs are not able to run for more than a few days now.

Perhaps I should try Blackhole and see if the situation improves...?

//

Hi Henrik,

Thank you very much for your help again. I tried to install it on my MacBook Air, and I encountered an error in running the downloaded binary:

2023-03-24 03:58:48.521481 INFO [src/bin.rs:711] CamillaDSP version 1.0.3

2023-03-24 03:58:48.521736 INFO [src/bin.rs:712] Running on macos, aarch64

2023-03-24 03:58:48.524045 ERROR [src/bin.rs:777] Invalid config file!

devices.capture.type: unknown variant Alsa, expected one of File, Stdin, CoreAudio at line 8 column 11

Could you lead me to the right path?

Regards,
Jay

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think what happens is that the default installation assumes a Windows environment i.e. Alsa etc which is not recognised on a Mac. One can start Camilla to do default or wait for configuration at a later stage... waiting, which I think will fix your problem, looks like:

./camilladsp -v -w -p 1234

Then you use the command interface or GUI (web browser) to set up Camilla at a later stage.

//

2023-03-24 03:58:48.524045 ERROR [src/bin.rs:777] Invalid config file!
You will need to create a configuration file for your system. You can use the gui as TNT suggested, or just do it manually. I would suggest to create a simple one manually first. Use a good text editor that can help with the yaml syntax. This one for example: https://code.visualstudio.com/

Start by checking the main camilladsp readme. Then read the macos-specific one here:
https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/blob/master/backend_coreaudio.md
Then you can check the step-by-step giude on how to build an example config: https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/blob/master/stepbystep.md

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much, TNT and Henrik,

I confirmed today that DiracLiveProcessor creates a virtual audio output device and Audirvana and VLC can choose it to output the audio. I hope that DiracLiveProcessor can choose the device CamillaDSP creates for its input.
I was able to try TNT's suggestion using -w option, but it didn't seem to create any output device, maybe due to the lack of a config file. I tried to use the web GUI editor, but the browser said the web page at the URL didn't send out any data. I will try the manual config later, but I think I will need the GUI functionality. Looking forward to a further help.

I am getting following errors:

2023-03-25 03:14:47.392059 INFO [src/bin.rs:711] CamillaDSP version 1.0.3

2023-03-25 03:14:47.392104 INFO [src/bin.rs:712] Running on macos, aarch64

2023-03-25 03:14:47.439264 ERROR [src/bin.rs:344] Playback error: Could not find playback device 'hw:Generic_1'

Could you let me know the right name of the playback device?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I dont know how you run CDSP on your Mac but here is how I start my system:

(One time.. UPDATE SYMLINKS: defaults write -g NSDisableAutomaticTermination -bool no)

Start Terminal.app

I can list the available devices using listdevices-macos-amd64.tar.gz - but I dont know if there is an aarch64 version or where to find it...

Terminal 1

cd /Users/audio1/Documents/Ca+Di/Camilla/gui/pycamilla-10
export PATH=/usr/local/anaconda3/bin:$PATH
source ~/.bash_profile
conda activate camillagui
cd /Users/audio1/Documents/Ca+Di/Camilla/gui/pycamilla-10/camillagui
python main.py

- - - - - -

Terminal 2

cd /Users/audio1/Documents/Ca+Di/Camilla/gui/pycamilla-10/
./camilladsp -v -w -p 1234

- - - - - -

I use Squeezplayer - stop it if running...

Terminal 3

cd /usr/local/bin
./SPstartScript.sh -s

->

Type the number of the max rate to use:
1) 44.1kHz
2) 48kHz
3) 96kHz
4) 192kHz
#? 1
Using 44.1kHz
Type the number of the device to use:
1) Built-in Output 3) Soundflower (64ch)
2) Soundflower (2ch) 4) Digiface USB (24007543)
#? 2
Soundflower (2ch)

Squeezplayer startar!

- - - - - -

In Safari:

localhost:5000

//

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is this OK?

Just started after change to Blackhole this afternoon...

C1.png

C2.png

C3.png

ver.png

//

No that doesn't look very good. I saw something like this a while back, but only using the pre-built 1.0.1 binary that wascompiled with a nightly compiler. I have not seen it after recompiling with a stable one. It should have been fixed by 1.0.2. Can you try upgrading to 1.0.3? It's built with an even later compiler, could potentially help.