Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Been playing around with upsampling to DSD
Been playing around with upsampling to DSD
Been playing around with upsampling to DSD Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2019, 08:46 PM   #11
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Upsampling is a bit of a fools errand...

For example, when upsampling from 16 bit to 24 bit you end up 16 bits of audio data in a 24 bit frame. A good codec will either silence or noise-fill the remaining 8 bits at the low volume (LSB) of the frame... but you are still listening to 16 bit audio.

When pushing from (for example) 48k to 96k samples per second you run into the problem of having more samples than data, the intermediate samples have to be filled with something so the system will either use duplicate samples or try to extrapolate the differences between samples. In the end, you are still listening to 48k audio.

It's pretty simple ... you can't extract what simply isn't there.

If there is an audible difference it will come from the way the DACs and Codecs set themselves up during the conversion. 24bit decoders require a larger dynamic range, for example. In a proper design these differences will be as minor as possible in order to remain true to the original source.

Converting to another format is, most times, just a matter of decoding then re-encoding the data, something like translation... If you hear a difference, the new encode is not being true to the original.

Now if you want to talk about downsampling ... converting DSD to MP3128 for example, there is lots to talk about since you are moving your music into a lossy format with definite limits on it's performance.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:19 PM   #12
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, we can't get something from nothing. That is understood. Most of what I was using though was already 24/96 or higher.
Old 10th December 2019, 06:35 PM   #13
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
Yes, we can't get something from nothing. That is understood. Most of what I was using though was already 24/96 or higher.
LOL ... Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:57 PM   #14
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Blake View Post
LOL ... Okay, I'll be quiet now.
NP. In the meantime I've turned all the conversions off again. Ultimately I couldn't hear a difference.

Been playing around with upsampling to DSDHide this!Advertise here!