APPLE vs Windows for music server.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I asked another fella about the enhanced performance of Apple OS over Win and his reply was short and simple:
"Linux operating system under Apple OS, way better at latency, program space non violation, cpu cycle prioritization, etc...and Apple operating system was designed from the ground up for multimedia performance (image, video, sound, etc...) and never need for any custom driver when using apple, with any dac, and it goes forever, Windows is just good for desktop use"
So there we go .. that's the "magic" :D

Joined 2013
Paid Member
The audio chipsets in your computer will make a much bigger difference on the sound than the operating system. Any modern OS will handle audio workloads without breaking a sweat. Some, like Linux, may require extensive tweaking, but if you're offloading your audio processing to a DAC anyway then all your OS has to do is shift the bits to the USB bus; it doesn't go through the OS audio system. If your system is capable of playing even a single HD video stream, it can handle audio at any resolution with less than a quarter of the resources.

"Program space non violation" is completely made-up. I'm not really sure what they're trying to say, but those aren't the words to use to say it.

Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback? The fact that this forum is full of mostly voodoo tweaks does not mean that they are required. Most of the changes have absolutely no effect on the final audio signal and arise from feelings instead of knowledge of how the computer audio works.

Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback? The fact that this forum is full of mostly voodoo tweaks does not mean that they are required. Most of the changes have absolutely no effect on the final audio signal and arise from feelings instead of knowledge of how the computer audio works.

With you there !! Ph...:)
and apologies for earlier post...:eek:
Was simply rhyming 'rest' and 'best' and hoping the O/P would explore...:D

Joined 2013
Paid Member
> Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback?

Sorry -- I meant "allow extensive tweaking" but misspoke.

Then there's the actual mess that audio on Linux is (ALSA / OSS), but that's mostly an administrative problem. It does not affect the sound quality.

OSS is long time dead in linux, not being used for a decade. The only "issue" is pulseaudio, which is trivial to configure to ignore any soundcard. Plus more and more people use it due to its flexibility and no impact on the data stream if not resampling or adjusting volume.

I appreciate all the input. I currently use Win7 & Foobar2000 and are quite happy with it. But I have noticed that most people use a Mac and JRiver for a higher quality experience so to speak. I will not use the onboard soundcard for my system but rather export the raw data via the USB to an external DAC. I wouldn't mind using a headless computer like Daphile offer. Another player/streamer of interest is the Lumin U1 Mini which is a dedicated machine.

There is none. I used Daphile from soon after it's release up to very recently when I installed Logitech Media Server in a jail on a NAS - FreeNAS. Never felt any need to use either MS or Apple for a music server. LMS/Daphile is all you need.
I did a quick scan of the Daphile thread and noticed that some have serious issues with making their player work. Should I worry aka is there anything to know or have in mind now when I am planing ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.