Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

APPLE vs Windows for music server.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2019, 10:58 PM   #21
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I asked another fella about the enhanced performance of Apple OS over Win and his reply was short and simple:
Quote:
"Linux operating system under Apple OS, way better at latency, program space non violation, cpu cycle prioritization, etc...and Apple operating system was designed from the ground up for multimedia performance (image, video, sound, etc...) and never need for any custom driver when using apple, with any dac, and it goes forever, Windows is just good for desktop use"
So there we go .. that's the "magic"
Old 15th October 2019, 11:21 PM   #22
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
crashes
I don't understand this crash word.
Old 15th October 2019, 11:53 PM   #23
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneminde View Post
I asked another fella about the enhanced performance of Apple OS over Win and his reply was short and simple:
So there we go .. that's the "magic"

Yeah. He failed on the first sentence. Apple OS has nothing to do with Linux.
Old 16th October 2019, 12:03 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Yeah. He failed on the first sentence. Apple OS has nothing to do with Linux.
Its an easy mistake. I for sure was convinced that it was using a Linux kernel, but turns out its using a Hybrid XNU under the OS family UNIX ... yes I had to check it up. So there, its corrected. So, MacOS and any Linux distro is not the same.
Old 16th October 2019, 02:23 AM   #25
ahankinson is offline ahankinson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The audio chipsets in your computer will make a much bigger difference on the sound than the operating system. Any modern OS will handle audio workloads without breaking a sweat. Some, like Linux, may require extensive tweaking, but if you're offloading your audio processing to a DAC anyway then all your OS has to do is shift the bits to the USB bus; it doesn't go through the OS audio system. If your system is capable of playing even a single HD video stream, it can handle audio at any resolution with less than a quarter of the resources.

"Program space non violation" is completely made-up. I'm not really sure what they're trying to say, but those aren't the words to use to say it.
Old 16th October 2019, 05:41 AM   #26
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback? The fact that this forum is full of mostly voodoo tweaks does not mean that they are required. Most of the changes have absolutely no effect on the final audio signal and arise from feelings instead of knowledge of how the computer audio works.
Old 16th October 2019, 06:41 AM   #27
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback? The fact that this forum is full of mostly voodoo tweaks does not mean that they are required. Most of the changes have absolutely no effect on the final audio signal and arise from feelings instead of knowledge of how the computer audio works.
With you there !! Ph...
and apologies for earlier post...
Was simply rhyming 'rest' and 'best' and hoping the O/P would explore...
Old 16th October 2019, 09:47 AM   #28
ahankinson is offline ahankinson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

> Why should linux require extensive tweaking for audio playback?

Sorry -- I meant "allow extensive tweaking" but misspoke.

Then there's the actual mess that audio on Linux is (ALSA / OSS), but that's mostly an administrative problem. It does not affect the sound quality.
Old 16th October 2019, 10:18 AM   #29
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

OSS is long time dead in linux, not being used for a decade. The only "issue" is pulseaudio, which is trivial to configure to ignore any soundcard. Plus more and more people use it due to its flexibility and no impact on the data stream if not resampling or adjusting volume.
Old 16th October 2019, 12:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I appreciate all the input. I currently use Win7 & Foobar2000 and are quite happy with it. But I have noticed that most people use a Mac and JRiver for a higher quality experience so to speak. I will not use the onboard soundcard for my system but rather export the raw data via the USB to an external DAC. I wouldn't mind using a headless computer like Daphile offer. Another player/streamer of interest is the Lumin U1 Mini which is a dedicated machine.

APPLE vs Windows for music server.Hide this!Advertise here!