Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Best 2019 option: convert wma to flac
Best 2019 option: convert wma to flac
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 08:22 PM   #11
Hanze Khronye is offline Hanze Khronye  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, reason for this was A+ (Mac) does not support wma, and as questionable as the original wav to wma conversion may have been, some of the music is invaluable to me.

Being leery of a less than optimal conversion, yet not wanting to buy anything for what is a one-off, I used athe trial version of Audacity.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Last edited by Hanze Khronye; 21st October 2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:30 PM   #12
scott17 is offline scott17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanze Khronye View Post
...I used athe trial version of Audacity.
Audacity doesn't have a trial version. Are you sure you got it from Download | Audacity (R) ?
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:49 AM   #13
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hanze Khronye, that's great you have a working solution. I just add a few comments for your information:

- Audacity is free, open-source software. The basic installation of Audacity does not include WMA support, since WMA is a patented technology, so for this you need to also install the FFmpeg Import/Export Library
Lame and FFmpeg libraries for Audacity - Free and Safe downloads - DO NOT CLICK GREEN DOWNLOAD BUTTONS

- Being free, there's no such thing as a "trial version". So it sounds to me that you may have used an unofficial installer package of Audacity+ffmpeg. I caution against this - that's how you get viruses. Always use official downloads -
Download | Audacity (R)

- Audacity is a full audio editor. It's overkill for straightforward format conversion, but that's OK.

- Audacity is no more "optimal" for WMA conversion than most other conversion software based on the ffmpeg libraries, and certainly no better than Foobar2000 (which is also free).
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:03 AM   #14
rredline is offline rredline  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Nothing beats foobar + the latest FLAC encoder.

FLAC 1.3.3 Free Download
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:30 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredline View Post
Nothing beats foobar + the latest FLAC encoder.
FLAC 1.3.3 Free Download
Agreed ... but again, please use don't get downloads from unofficial websites !!

The official FLAC download page is here -
FLAC - download

But it's probably more convenient to use the bundle of encoder libraries provided as a separate download from the foobar2000 website - which includes the latest FLAC version 1.3.2
foobar2000: Free Encoder Pack
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Oops sorry, I see there's a recent update for FLAC to version 1.3.3
and the official download site does not have a Windows executable available yet for this latest version.
I think the most reliable download of this (for Windows) would be FLAC v.1.3.3 win32 bundle from Rarewares -
RareWares
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxfan View Post
Agreed ... but again, please use don't get downloads from unofficial websites !!
Quote:
...the official download site does not have a Windows executable available yet for this latest version.
I think the most reliable download of this (for Windows) would be FLAC v.1.3.3 win32 bundle from Rarewares
You are contradicting your own advice by advising download from an unofficial site.
I've been using Foobar for a long time. It's great. The encoder packs and components for Foobar should be obtained only from the official site, foobar2000.org to insure that they are fully compatible.

Besides that, the FLAC version on the official site encoder pack , IS v1.3.3

Last edited by scott17; 22nd October 2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Ah, that's good to know that the foobar2000 Free Encoder Pack includes flac v.1.3.3 - clearly that's the best option, then.
After checking the changelog, I wouldn't lose any sleep about still using v1.3.2 though.

And no one need be concerned about Rarewares - it's a well regarded source for media-related applications. I've been using it since 2005.
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Good to know about Rarewares, thank you, that's a good track record.

Quote:
Ah, that's good to know that the foobar2000 Free Encoder Pack includes flac v.1.3.3 - clearly that's the best option, then.
After checking the changelog, I wouldn't lose any sleep about still using v1.3.2 though.

And no one need be concerned about Rarewares - it's a well regarded source for media-related applications. I've been using it since 2005.

Best 2019 option: convert wma to flacHide this!Advertise here!